“What's not to like about this place?”
Review of 301

Reserve with OpenTable
301 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #178 of 261 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

One of only a few high end restaurants in Duluth so I was excited to try this restaurant. This is not anything like a hotel restaurant you might have as your frame of reference (301 is located in the Sheraton). Throw the hotel restaurant image out of your mind! My family has gone here twice in the past 6 months--the first time, Christmas Eve. Both times, outstanding service, venue, cocktails, food. Food that...oh my, was so good we wanted to lick the plates when we were done. But we didn't, because this is a fancy place and you want to use your best table manners! From the exquisite choice of hors d'oeuvres (tasty, and beautifully presented) to the dinner entrees, I assure you it will not fail to impress. Both times I had the ribeye steak--so good the first time I couldn't think of having anything but the same again! Sadly, we did not have dessert--no room for it in our bellies. However, what I saw of them...Yum! The price...not any higher than other high end eating establishments in Duluth--and if you're like me, I don't mind paying for excellent quality. The only downside? Getting to the parking lot (connected to the hotel) was a hassle. Parking on the street can be tricky to find. Can't have everything! ;-)

1  Thank Kim R

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I took my partner here for his birthday. He wanted a steak and they have a hand carved ribeye. It was quite a slab, perfectly cooked with mashed potatoes and broccolini for 28. A veritable bargain for an upscale restaurant. I had the most amazing curried seafood stew for 25. The service was solid and friendly - they made a mistake with our reservation but it was handled graciously and professionally. This is tucked away in the corner of the Sheraton on Superior Street. Intimate and cozy, seating is limited so call ahead and reserve a window table for some good people watching or by the fireplace.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I don't mind paying up, for good food and service. This place would appear to be able to deliver, but falls short. I was alone at the bar for lunch, the hostess and waitress all but ignored me, and were more interested in their phone or newspaper. I would have expected better quality meat in my sandwich, not processed, for the cost. Beautiful place, but that is the best thing they have going for them. I'm a 35 year chef and try to give fair, accurate, professional reviews.

1  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We've come to expect excellent meals at 301, and we were not disappointed this time. Good selection, attractive presentation, and excellent flavors, all delivered by a competent and very friendly server.

1  Thank DuluthJack
Jen P, General Manager at 301, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for great review of Restaurant 301. We do try to uphold a standard of excellence in service, selection and flavors, we are very blessed to have a great Chef and overall team.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Jodi made the reservation here for our date night on June 22nd, 2013, and what a great restaurant to visit! The whole time we were there, we were the only ones there, which was sad. Between the chef's skills and his tasty menu, this place should be filled every night.

The setting was very romantic: white table tablecloth, linen napkins, candle, flowers, and nice dinnerware. The menu is made up of different ingredient combinations that work so well that it is the most unique menu we have tasted on the Northland. Our waitress, Sara Jean, was very helpful, kind, and knowledgable of the menu items.

Restaurant 301 provides their menu on their website, so we knew what we would order when we got there, but it was still hard to choose. They brought us out a basket of bread with lemon balsamic butter. It was different: lemony, but so good.

Brian ordered two glasses of wine. He likes a more fruity taste. Our waitress, Sara Jean, suggested a red and a white wine, Marietta red old vine California lot 58 and Discoveries moscato California 2010. They were both very good: great aroma and accents.

We both ordered appetizers, so that we could try a little bit of everything, because everything sounded delicious. Jodi ordered the Beef Tenderloin Crustini, it had Cave-Aged Blue Cheese, Toasted BBQ Sauce, and Scallions. She said it was really good. The only thing that was different about it was the dollop of blue cheese. It seemed overpowering and out of place, but the other tastes worked together.

Brian ordered the Spring Cheese Plate that came with Goat Cheese with Strawberry and Black Pepper Compote (which, in French, means "mixture" that is a dessert made of whole, or pieces, of fruit in sugar syrup). Manchango (which is cheese made from sheep's milk) with Greek Olives, Warm Brie with Smoked Almonds. I really liked this appetizer a lot, the goat cheese and strawberries was my favorite. As a cheese fan, I would order this again and would recommend this starter.

For our entrees, Jodi ordered the Spring Bone-in-Lamb made with Butter Basted Domestic Lamb, Chocolate & Red Chili Veal Glace, Pan Fried Ricotta Polenta, Fava Beans & Tricolored Baby Carrots. She was concerned that the chili would be too spicy. Our waitress, Sara Jean, said that the chocolate will offset the chili heat, and she confirmed with Chef Kevin llenda it would be more on the sweeter side than heat. It was sweet. You couldn't taste the chili heat. The combinations worked very well.

Brian ordered the Yellow Curry Seafood Stew made with Coconut Shrimp Broth, Calamari, Shrimp, Scallop, Blue Crab, Mussel, Tomato, Scallion, Fresno Chili, and Cilantro. What more could I ask for? It has the seafood that I like, and I enjoy a good curry dish (oh, yes, I asked if I could have extra curry). The dish tasted so good! Everything was done perfectly, and the stew was seasoned very well. I really enjoyed the whole calamari! I never had them this way; they're usually fried and over done. The portion size was spot on with a nice balance of seafood and Coconut Shrimp Broth.

We then ordered dessert. Jodi ordered the Trio Of House Made Cakes, which included Ginger Carrot Cake, Red Velvet, and Chocolate Fresno. She said they were delicious, but the Chocolate Fresno was a bit of a surprise. It was a good start of chocolat, but then, when you swallow, the spice hits the back of the throat. Her favorite cake was the Ginger Carrot Cake, the touch of ginger and the pineapple really made the flavors pop, but it blended very well together.

Brian ordered the Green Tea Cre'me Brûlée, the caramelization was beautiful, not over burnt, and had a nice crisp when breaking into it. The green tea custard base tasted amazing, the green tea was not overpowering or too strong, but it was smooth and creamy. This dessert was a perfect way to end a great meal and just makes you want more on a nice warm day.

Another reason we liked Restaurant 301 was that our waitress Sara Jean didn't rush for us to order our next choice. She let us get to where we were about done, then she asked. It was a smooth, flowing experience. Sara Jean would refill our drinks when they were low often and bring out clean plates, and silverware when we got another fresh basket of bread. We also got word that Chef Kevin Ilenda changes his menu with fresh flavors and ingrediants according to the season and local flavors, so keep on eye out on their website for the current menu.

Restaurant 301 is a must to STOP IN, whether staying at the Sheraton Hotel, shopping in Duluth, or, if you work in downtown Duluth, you can call for a free complimentary ride on your lunch break. When you're done, they will bring you back. If you are looking for a place to bring your loved one, Restaurant 301 is the place to be, from the atmosphere and kind staff to Chef Kevin llenda, who has passion for Duluth, MN, and his menu. The food reflects all of that. I know we will be back very soon to try the other.

Check out our other adventures, leave us a comment and be a member to follow us on our next adventure http://familyfriendlyoutings.blogspot.com/

1  Thank Naykki