“Absolutaly great place to stay!!!!!! :D”

Beacon Pointe Resort
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My family and I stayed two nights in a standard guest room with a pool side view at the Beacon Resort. We really liked staying here, the rooms are very nice, and clean. The breakfast is good which includes waffles, juice, milk, cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels and toast. The pool and hot tub are nice. The resort sits right on the lake superior shore and you can see the Ariel Bridge on Canal Park from the resort. The only thing that I didn't care for was that the pool is open til 11pm and you can hear the noise from the pool through the wall but it isn't very loud. I would still come back again because it is still a very nice resort!

• Stayed: August 2011
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your positive comment about your recent vacation at Beacon Pointe. We hope the memories you made here last a lifetime – or at least until you come for your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again at Beacon Pointe Resort!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

The units are right on Lake Superior. Great views of the lake and looking back toward Canal Park and the Liftbridge.

Two of the structures are condos for purchase; one building has condos divided up into rental units. The rental units have an interesting design. You can rent a one-bedroom unit, with living space, full kitchen and small deck, or a more traditional style hotel room with a deck, or a top floor loft space with bedroom, living space and large deck, OR you can rent all three (or just two of them).

We had a larger sized group and rented all three. All three were modern and comfortable. They are located at the end of the walking/bike trail that goes to Canal Park. It does not have the convenience of staying in Canal Park where you can walk to everything, but it is much quieter.

I recommend it for:
*Those who want a quiet spot but still have convenient access to the city.
*Groups where everyone wants to stay together (a family with young children or a couple bringing their elderly parents).
*Those who want a full kitchen.

If you are in a group and want to split up, I recommend staying in one of the hotels in Canal Park where you can park your car in the hotel lot and just walk to everything. You can walk or bike down to Canal Park, but it's about a 45-50 minute walk.

It's expensive, but an excellent addition to Duluth's hotel options.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Troy M, Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your positive comment about your recent vacation at Beacon Pointe. We hope the memories you made here last a lifetime – or at least until you come for your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again at Beacon Pointe Resort.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Beacon Pointe. This is our second stay.
Each time our experience is better. The staff is exceptionally friendly. The location to the Walking path is our main reason for staying plus the LOCATION. The underground parking is a plus as is the closeness to the Lake.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom400

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We really do appreciate it when our guests reach out to everyone to tell them about Beacon Pointe Resort. We hope the memories you made here last a lifetime – or at least until you come for your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again at our resort!

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Great place in every way. Beautiful rooms and views with easy access to the lakewalk. Free rentals are a huge advantage for those who want to explore the outdoors.

See what you've been missing and love your next trip to Duluth!

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you for taking time to post a review and give us your feedback. I am sorry that the level of noise in our resort was disruptive of your stay. I hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable! Thank you for being our guest, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Oh, I wish I had read the reviews before booking.

As others have said - excellent location on the lake, friendly staff, but zero soundproofing. The door locks in particular had the loudest clicking mechanism I have ever heard. Even with earplugs I was woken up every time our neighbors went in or out of their room. Especially because we were staying Sunday to Tuesday I had not expected noise issues.

In addition to the noisy door latches, I think the problem is the resort room layout. The floorplan is basically laid out for 2 or 3 bedroom condos. There is a keyed door to a small common area with multiple rooms off each entry. We rented a 2 bedroom "penthouse" condo. It turns out that, although described as a penthouse, our two bedrooms were on the 3rd floor with another bedroom sharing our entry but above us on the 4th floor. This bedroom was rented to another group. The website never mentions a 4th floor – but there is one. There was absolutely no soundproofing between the top floor and our “penthouse” floor (3rd). We heard every step and movement the group above us made. It was especially frustrating because they checked in at 10:30 pm Sunday night. With more noise at 11:00, I opened our bedroom door to see what was going one and was told by one of the people, “I can’t get this door to stay open and I’m trying to prop it open because we have friends coming over.” Nice.

The rooms themselves also have very different configurations. One of our rooms was one big room with a king bed in the middle, a little bar/seating area and a nice deck. It was perfect for me and my husband. The adjoining second room had a windowless bedroom with a door at the back of the unit, a large full kitchen/living room area and a tiny deck. It worked fine for our two boys, but I would have been very disappointed if my husband and I had rented that room for the two of us and had to sleep in a windowless back bedroom. Also, the decks are adjoining with only a slatted wooden blind thing between them. Again, it was fine for us, but it would not have been a usable deck if we had rented only one of the rooms. The larger room deck offered a perfect view into the living area of the other room. Great for checking on my sons, but not for other situations.

If you are a very heavy sleeper or don’t mind lots of noise, this isn’t a bad place. The views are amazing and the staff is always very friendly and helpful .We checked out the bikes and took our two boys on a nice ride down to the canal park area. I did the kayak tour with my older son and we had a great time (Elena is a wonderful guide). Just please know that it really matters which room you stay in. If you want a good nights’ sleep, book the whole room block/all bedrooms of that room number. Also, don’t pay the extra fees for a penthouse – it is not the top floor.

3  Thank indigofire

Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed at Beacon Pointe again for a night in July on our way to a family vacation, and were reminded of why we love this spot so much. The view is unrivaled, watching big ore ships go buy and having the fog over the water when you wake up each morning. The coffee was great and the staff were super responsive. We needed a second flat sheet for our two teen age boys who were sharing the sleeper sofa, and it came immediately. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Beacon Pointe Resort! We hope you come back soon to make more life long memories!

Reviewed 14 July 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for a quick get away and we had a great time. The location is perfect 1.5 miles north of Canal Park right on the lake. The area is quite the views beautiful. This is much better than staying in the hotels on Canal Park, similarly priced, no privacy or private access to lake and lots of traffic. We splurged to have a lake side room and it was totally worth it. The lake waves sounded like the ocean and we could watch a little beaver or badger climb around on the rocks. We didn't have any problem with noisy neighbors.
We used the free bikes to ride to Canal Park. The bike path to Canal Park is really nice - basically a series of parks the entire way. The bikes were great brand new, they provided helmets and a bike lock so we could poke around the shops. We chickened out of the Kayaking on Superior - it seemed very wavy for beginners but it would have been a great deal - I think $10 per person for a 2 hour guided tour. I want to go back to do that. The pool, hot tub and exercise room were all clean and nice.
The only thing I suggest is checking out the floor plans on the website so you know what your room will be like. These are not normal hotel layouts- I think the plans are in the real estate part of the website. We had originally been assigned a room on the end right above the entrance to the underground parking (a nice feature on a hot or rainy day) and next to a huge jack hammering project. That room was oddly shaped and the lake view balcony was tiny and required looking sideways out to the lake - not very desirable. We asked for a switch due to the noise and we were switched to a lovely bigger one bedroom suite with a beautiful balcony right on the lake. Our neighbors who basically shared the balcony - there is a partial wall, imagine vertical blinds half open that you can easily see through - had a tiny little bit of the balcony I wouldn't have liked that very much. The one bedroom suite was nice and bigger than what we had planned but if I was looking for a one bedroom suite this floor plan may have surprised me. The living room area was in the interior with no windows and the main bedroom was by the balcony - worked fine for what we needed but if you really wanted to use the living room it would be odd.
The staff was great and very flexible I'd go again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: From the floorplan in the hotel room I think the one bedroom suites have the best balconies.