“A Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Fitger's Inn

Fitger's Inn
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 17 July 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here based on the reviews we read on here. It was all that I expected and even more! They have complimentary valet parking and are very friendly. There wasn't one person who didn't seem genuinely nice. We stayed in a "luxury" room the first night we were there but moved to a standard room for the rest of our stay. They made the transition very easy- We left the hotel around 10 a.m. and they brought our luggage and everything to our new room for us, so we didn't have to do anything.

The beds were really comfortable, the rooms were clean and everything was in place.

They offer continental breakfast and several blends of delicious Fitger's brewed coffee in a small breakfast room that overlooks the lake. Our stay here was just awesome! Oh, and we liked that there was no pool, that meant less children running around everywhere!! ha!

The only advice I would offer someone who is going to this hotel is to splurge for the lake view... It's a little more expensive, but definitely worth it because we were on the city side the first night and it got a little loud outside. The lake view is beautiful and calming. Would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2009

My family and I stayed at Fitger's Inn last month. We had been camping but decided to take a little break and enjoy a little side trip in Duluth. After calling a couple of hotels we checked into Fitger's. We were traveling with our dog and Fitger's was actually less expensive than the Holiday Inn. (Lucky us!)

The hotel is beautiful! Our room was really lovely and comfortable. It reminded both my husband and me of a Venice hotel we stayed in only MUCH less expensive. Some things we liked...great location, plenty to do, high ceilings, lovely decor, comfy bed with soft bedding, exquisite views, Aveda bath products, pay per view movies, video games for my boys, WI-FI...I could go on here...

The staff was wonderful. I felt a little self conscious as we were kind of dirty from camping. The front desk staff seemed truly happy to see us. Everyone we dealt with from the housekeeping to the front desk staff was courteous, friendly and proud of their hotel.

Can't wait to return to Fitger's Inn!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lhc67
Reviewed 22 June 2009

This is a wonderful, clean, comfortable and luxurious hotel.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We're supposed to like Fitgers--classy old building, lakeside location. I see it as a special occasion place. The rooms themselves are really very basic motel rooms inside a classic building. Not even very spacious. It makes a good Duluth destination, but if you are just passing through and need a place to stay, this is way too much money for what you get. Nice walking along lake, but if you had things to do in Duluth or wanted to be near the restaurants and shopping, this isn't in the ideal area. Reasonable prices in basement restaurant, but not very good food.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank leeolson
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Traveling with children and our au pair, we had requested "close" rooms - one with two queens and one with a king. We were given two beautiful, large connecting rooms that made the kids have enough room to not feel trapped. Each room had a sitting area that was up a few steps. Rooms were both clean and nicely decorated. Water pressure was great in the very clean and presentable bathrooms.

The front desk was very responsive and helpful to all requests, including tracking down a group reservation at another restaurant off-site, answering questions about activities and restaurants for the kids, checking on the schedule of boats going through the canal (unasked - they just heard us talking) and having a carrying tray ready for me (unasked) when I called down to ask if it was ok to bring the free continental breakfast to the room for my still sleepy kids. Getting friendly service above what I requested was what made this an exceptional stay.

Definitely if you stay, buy an ice cream at the Malt Shop and walk down to the Lake and throw rocks.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank Amy_home
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I stayed here - unfortunately for just one night - after experiencing some delays in delivery of a new airplane I was picking up. I had stayed for the previous several days at the South Pier Inn (a seperate review I did) and was disappointed. Fitgers did not dissappoint me. The hotel was clean, staff very friendly, and a room service dinner (I just had!) excellent. The hotel is located in an old refurbished building right on the boardwalk of the Lake, and its location makes it easy to get to shops and running/walking paths. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable, and the view over the lake is great. I will stay here again if travel to Duluth calls!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2009

The staff was very friendly and were more than willing to help us get our moneys worth. The king size bed was not comfortable at all. It was pretty soft and the pillows were huge, hence a neck ache in the morning. It was clean and in a nice location. The skylight is nice, but not if you want to sleep in. The restaurant and shops in the same building are nice as well.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple