Olcott House Bed and Breakfast Inn
US$170
Hampton.com
US$80
US$72
The Inn on Lake Superior(Duluth)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$122
US$105
US$79
US$73
US$181
Park Point Marina Inn(Duluth)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$112
Priceline
South Pier Inn on the Canal(Duluth)(Great Value!)
US$144
Priceline
US$184
Travelocity
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
US$158
US$149
All reviewscheese fruitus feel at homeb bsamazing houseweekend stayretreat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the beautiful Olcott House bed and breakfast in Duluth, MN. From the moment I arrived, the innkeeper, David was most welcoming and gracious to his Georgian Colonial home located in the East End of Duluth. The home is magnificent, and the history of the home and the rooms is located in each room.
I particularly enjoyed the following: the wine, cheese, and sweets offered upon arrival, the beautiful porch overlooking the other mansions, and the lovely breakfasts. I happened to be traveling alone, so the safety feature of the exterior doors being locked at all times was appreciated. Plus, my suite had a porch that over looked Lake Superior - perfection!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This was our 2nd stay at a B&B and we absolutely loved it! From the beautiful African Mahogany woodwork in the dinning room to the rare Birdseye Maple flooring of our suite we were swept away by this mansion. Jerry and David were gracious hosts and made us feel right at home. The breakfast was delicious and very elegant. At night the house glows with a warmth and presence that make you feel like you are in another world. There was always relaxing music playing downstairs and snacks to eat. Even though the home is 10,000 sq. ft it feels so cozy and not intimidating. I could go on and on about the Olcott House but I don't want to get to long winded, so with all the said I HIGHLY recommend this B&B!!

1  Thank shanna92580
Reviewed 13 August 2010

When we travel we always try to stay in a B&B because we like the personal attention you get. The Olcott House lived up to our expectations. The house is located in a residential area of Duluth that was "the place to live" when the industrial barons were building their gracious homes. The Olcott house is one of these homes. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. You have a sense of total privacy and quiet. It reminded us of some wonderful B&B's we have stayed in in England. The cooked breakfast was creative, not your run of the mill breakfast, and it was served in a charming dining room. There was wine and cheese out when we arrived in the late afternoon and David, the innkeeper, was helpful with directions and ideas as to how to spend our time in Duluth. Overall, we had a great stay. We will return to the Olcott House.

1  Thank foodfan73
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Olcott House! First of all, the house was amazing. It felt as though I was stepping back in time. It's beautifully decorated and the history that the owners David & Jerry told was fascinating. The food was incredible! I felt extremely welcome and completely at home. I have been to bed and breakfasts that were so stuffy and uncomfortable that I never wanted to leave my room. That was not the case at all here. We were welcome to roam the house and enjoy the gorgeous deck as well as the beautiful landscaping. We stayed in the East Wing Suite, it was huge and the bed was so comfortable. I could not have had a better experience. I'm already asking my hubby when we get to go back!

2  Thank isabella_8326
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Good things first...

Food was excellent. Waitstaff was polite and capable.
Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable.
interior of the home was nice and comfortable and furnished with nice period antiques.

Now for the bad....

We could not get in when we arrived (at approx. 6 PM) despite walking around the house twice and knocking and ringing the doorbells. We finally had to call one of the owners on the phone.

I had to fix our toilet, which would not stop running.

The water in the shower alternated between too hot and too cold and was impossible to regulate.

The light next to our bed was broken and the only way to turn it off was to unscrew the bulb.

The television is a 12" computer monitor which is like trying to watch a movie on an Ipod.

Although the Olcott House and the B&B across the street are in nice shape, adjoining properties are multi-family rentals and are starting to look a little run down. The house directly across the street had a pair of car rims in the yard and a beat up taxi was usually parked out front. While we were waiting to be let in we heard someone across the street shouting profanities at someone else.

Despite the Olcott Welcome book advising that street shoes are OK, you are asked (and advised by a sign at the door) to remove your shoes at the door so most guests are barefoot at the breakfast table (not the most appetizing thing in the world)

You are also told that the doors must be locked whenever you enter or exit (the doors are not self locking and need to be locked with a key) This, besides being inconvenient, made me further question the condition of the neighborhood.

One owner, David, was polite and answered our questions, but refused to let us look at the kitchen when we asked (we could see an antique tin ceiling and beautiful wallpaper when the door swung open and were merely curious) We never did see the other owner, Jerry, but were told he was in a bad mood because he didn't like the humidity. All in all, none of our party of four felt particularly welcome but merely tolerated.

If you like beautiful old mansions and want to pay $200 per night for the privilege of staying in one, I would recommend the Olcott House as it is a grand old house, but if you want modern amenities (whirlpool, plumbing that works, bathrooms with counter space and large mirrors, etc.) Your money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends