“Great Choice in Duluth”

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Great Choice in Duluth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My job brings me to Duluth 3-4 times a year, and I've tried a number of hotels in the area. This one has so far won me over as being the best I've stayed in.

It is situated a little way from the downtown, which is probably a good thing. And there is very good access to shopping and dining. Ample parking and a seemingly calm and safe neighborhood.

I'm not sure when it was built, but it is modern and fresh. Doesn't feel dated at all. The lobby is pleasant, and the staff I've interacted with have been friendly and professional.

You'll find a well stocked mini shop by check in. Also several nights during the week they provide free food. Whilst it isn't going to win a Michelin Star any time soon, I was actually pretty impressed on the two nights I ate there. In fact to tell the truth I have paid for food in hotel restaurants that were nowhere near as good as what they offer for free here!

I was upgraded to a corner king suite which as usual for a Residence Inn has a full sized kitchen complete with decent sized fridge freezer, dishwasher, oven, hob, and microwave. There was a good sized table for two and a separate work desk, with ample plug in point all over.

This kitchen area flows into the living room with a large sofa and sitting chair, a fireplace (which is a really nice and oft necessary piece of equipment in icy Duluth), and big screen TV. Decor was pleasant as are the furnishings.

There's a decent sized sink and bathroom area, and separate bedroom with king bed and another big screen TV.

Housekeeping was efficient and didn't make any mistakes the whole time I was there. Everything being cleaned and tidied as I would expect with good attention to detail.

Duluth is not New York, you are not going to have a million choices of hotels up here. But for most people's needs, this is good solid quality accommodation that is going to be hard to beat around here.

If I had to complain about anything it would be that my bed was just average. I've had far better in many Marriott properties. It wasn't bad, I just found the mattress ordinary.

My other concern would be a lack of covered parking. This is an area that gets a LOT of snow. Heck it even snowed today, and it's MAY! So I'd be concerned staying here in the winter that I'd have to spend some time digging my car out of the snow. Other similar hotels, such as the Holliday Inn downtown have ramp parking.

Other than those two observations, this is a very nice property, doing a great job. I've already booked my next stay here.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a room with a fireplace if you're staying in the many many cold months that D...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ZCT808
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us!

We very much appreciate positive reviews, but it's even more gratifying to hear praise from guests who have stayed at some great properties across the country.

In regards to parking. Although covered parking at our hotel is limited, we certainly aim to be proactive when it comes to snow removal and guest assistance during the winter months. We hope that will not deter you from staying with us in December (or May!) when it might be snowing in Duluth.

Again, thanks so much for the review and we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Fort Frances, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I booked this hotel strictly by tripadvisor reviews. I usually stay downtown, but wanted to stay near the shopping area, and passed this place a few times. It was worth it! I was greeted with 2 super friendly faces, and even when I was slightly confused on where I was booked in at (There's another Marriott, but not residence, up the road, and I might have hit the panic button as I thought I booked the wrong one lol), a nice quick check in got me into my room. Now, I've never stayed at this chain before, so I was shocked, but there was a FULL kitchen in the room! Right down to a dishwasher!! Now, the name hints that it's meant for more than a one night stay, but I actually asked if I was upgraded rooms for free, because it was great! I didn't check out many of the amenities, but the dining area seemed nice, and there was a group of people enjoying their take out in the area, I peeked in the pool and all the kids seemed happy. The beds were super comfy. My only critique was maybe parking, there isn't much around the hotel, but there's a big dirt lot off to the side. But I'm really grasping at straws, here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Tammy O
Thank you so much for your review, we very much appreciate your kind comments. We must say, we were pretty excited about your review just by looking at the title!

We're glad that TripAdvisor was helpful in your choice to stay with us. We find it to be an incredibly useful tool for travelers looking for hotel recommendations, especially those who may have only been accustomed to staying in one part of the city, but are looking to try something different.

We're glad that it worked out for you and certainly hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The location was great with good proximity to shopping and restaurants on the hill. We found the suite very clean and representative of what you would expect from this 'brand'

We stayed here during Grandma's Marathon, 2013. The staff were very energetic around the events taking place, and we found them all to be pleasant and helpful. The hotel is only a few blocks from the mall, where shuttle buses pick up for the start of the race.

My only negative (picky) - It seemed to me to be quiet a hike to carry things in and out of the hotel from the parking lot to the room, especially if you parked in the back (long ramp).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review, we're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We appreciate your comments about our hotel and hope that your stay was a memorable one. If we're fortunate enough to accommodate you while in Duluth again, please let us help you with your bags. Although, we don't have a traditional bellman for assistance with bags, we would be more than happy to get you situated, especially for such a big weekend!

Thank you again for your great review. We hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have stayed here before and are never disappointed. From a professional, pleasant check in to check out, it is always great.

We had a great room and felt so at home. Left a tip for housekeeping and got a personal thank you upon our return---nice to know it was appreciated. As always the room was spotless.
The beds are comfortable, the kitchen area is great, much above any place else we have been.
Love the separate sink from the rest of the bathroom, just everything is a cut above.

The breakfast is very nice and has an a great array of options, definitely different than most. The staff there was cheerful, accommodating and helpful. Nice little sections where you can have a more private breakfast if you want or need to. Again, all of the touches are helpful and very appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, we're very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are strong proponents of the little things being the difference between a good stay and a great one and your comments definitely validate that sentiment. It's very gratifying to hear that our team's efforts were recognized and we will make sure to pass your comments along.

Again, we appreciate your kind words about out hotel and hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with the same level of service again soon

Lino Lakes, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Finishing up a 5 day stay at this hotel and it is one of the nicest places I've stayed at. Super clean 3 year extended stay with kitchen services in the suite. Nice morning breakfast, newspaper, and super friendly staff. (They even helped me jump start my vehicle after a -20 degree night)! Recommend to anyone as I saw my work team, families, and a group of pilots staying here!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jerry H
ResidenceInnDth, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Duluth, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Although we don't officially list "jumping cars" during the winter months as a service offered, it is certainly something that we will not hesitate to do for our guests if possible. Duluth winters are not always the kindest, but that doesn't mean we won't be. We will do whatever we can in our power to make each of our guests stays as convenient as can be.

Again, thank you for your great review, and we hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Fort Frances, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My family of two adults and three kids has just spent a delightful long weekend at Marriott's Residence Inn in Duluth. We had a modern family suite on the ground floor, consisting of a queen bedroom, a king bedroom and a sofa bed in the living area.
I can't tell you how happy I am when I find a hotel that can put all of us in one suite without the bother of booking two rooms and trying to get them within a day's walk of each other! Our suite had two bathrooms, three TVs (with HBO) and A FULL KITCHEN, all for US$229 a night. What more do I need to say!
But wait, there's more! The complimentary breakfast was excellent - fresh juice, homemade waffles, hot breakfast and takeaway, should you wish. The kids loved the indoor heated pool and spa in the dead of a Minnesotan winter, and I loved not having to traipse far from our room to get there. The complimentary wifi was faster and more consistent than just about any hotel I have stayed in. The staff are attentive, warm and polite - nothing is a problem they cant try to help you with.
There is a huge supermarket and coffee place right next door, and the Miller Hill Mall is only half a mile away.
Thank you to all the folk on Tripadvisor who recommended this hotel. It really helps on family trips to know of a good place to stay.

Room Tip: We loved the family suite on the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CaramutJane

You probably could've stopped after your GREAT title and we would have been happy, but we certainly do appreciate the excellent review! TripAdvisor is a great channel to share your positive experiences with other travelers. We're glad that it helped you select our property and we're even more glad that you have decided to share your positive experience. Reviews like yours are very gratifying for our staff and empower us to make your next experience an even better one; so for that we thank you.

We hope that you and your family will return to Duluth soon, and again, choose to stay with us at the Residence Inn!

Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is probably the best I've stayed at in Duluth. Rooms are very modern with lots of amenities - utensils, plates, cups etc. TVs in common area and bedroom, and sink separate from toilet and shower which is nice. The location is great too, right by the mall/Miller Hill area.
The complimentary breakfast was super good! Roasted potatoes/hashbrowns, eggs with different fixings, amazing waffles with whipped cream, choco chips, caramel, berries, syrup, walnuts and several other toppings! Definitely the most selection and best food I've had for breakfast at a hotel.
Pool, hot tub, etc were great too.
Looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ajtbay
Thank you so much for your review, we are very pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us!

I think it's safe to say that your review of our hotel was, well....AWESOME. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the design and amenities offered by our hotel. We're also glad that you appreciate our location and it's proximity to the mall, as that is sometimes overlooked. We're excited that you plan on staying with us again and we hope that your next stay will be even better than the first!

Again, thank you so much for your review.