“Someone walked out on their tab that I didn't even know and I was treated like poor trash!”
Review of Blackwater Lounge

Blackwater Lounge
Ranked #10 of 263 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Pizza
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Black Water Lounge is Duluth's premiere martini lounge. With a full bar, hand-crafted cocktails, exquisite lounge food, live jazz music and lady's night, Black Water is the finest upscale martini bar in the Duluth-Superior area. Black Water Lounge is located in Duluth's Old Downtown and was once the home of the Black Bear Lounge in the historic Greysolon Plaza. Host an event at Black Water's Manhattan Room - perfecy for Anniversary Parties, Engagement Parties, Birthdays & Corporate Gatherings! Rent the entire lounge on a Sunday for your larger group!
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Okay so I went to a birthday party, I showed up like two hours later with a crew of four. We went into the bar area and I ordered a total of 4 drinks for $40 (hey actually it's not as bad as I thought it sounded except all the drinks were weak tasting, but whatever). My friend, the birthday person, had a group of gross people with her. Two of the gross people decided to leave earlier than our group and head to another bar (we were waiting for someone in our group to eat so they weren't sitting alone). The group that left forgot to pay their check for two drinks which totaled $19.00, maybe.

The waitress told us we had to reach these skeezy people and tell them to come back and pay for their drinks, mind you WE DON'T KNOW THIS PERSON AND THE BIRTHDAY GIRL WAS DRUNK AND DIDN'T HAVE HER CELL PHONE. I tried calling and texting various numbers that the drunk birthday girl gave us, none of them panned out.

We told the waitress to call the cops since she had a description and the birthday girl could give them the names of the people that had walked out. The waitress told us she had to "talk to her manager". I wrote the phone number that I had tried to call that was supposedly linked two these horrid walker outer people on the receipts and the waitress came back and said they couldn't do anything, crumbled up both receipts and that was it.

Then the manager, KAREN, came out and told us that she "couldn't comp" the drinks and directly looked at me and said since my sister left we as a group would have to pay for it. I told her my sister's didn't leave and in fact I don't know these people. We had just got to Blackwater about an hour earlier. She was extremely rude to me and I think it's because I'm a heavier set person, but to be in their hoity toity bar I was dressed up and looking nice (I always dress up when I go out, fatties represent). She continued to be rude to the group of people I was with claiming that these skanks were people we knew and we had to pay the bill.

The birthday person was too drunk and pissed off and started getting loud and annoying with the manager, at this point I was at the bar trying to pay the $20, and they refused to take our payment and kicked us out. Karen is a horrible "customer service" person and manager, and she made us feel shamed for the mistake of other people we didn't even know for not paying their bill.

She literally treated our group, which spent over $100 easy (in one hour on overpriced drinks that taste weak), like we were poor white trash. I have never IN MY life been treated that poorly.

Katie M, Marketing director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Our Director of Operations, Julie Thoreson, would like to speak with you directly in regards to your experience. Can you please provide us with your phone number?

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We look forward to speaking with you soon

Katie Marturano

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I always make a point to come here when I'm in Duluth. Come during happy hour for a great deal on the BEST martinis I've ever had!!! If you like spicy try the "pool boy" but honestly all the martinis are SOoo good. The bacon wrapped dates are worth ordering (yummy). The atmosphere makes it really special. I love when they are playing Frank Sinatra music because it fits the "swanky" vibe of the place. Service has always been great too.

Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review! We greatly appreciate your business to Black Water Lounge. We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Duluth!
Thank you!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Was up from Minneapolis for a quick getaway and stumbled upon this gem. Excellent food and even better service. We'll be back.

Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We are so excited to have you back to Duluth soon - thank you for visiting Black Water lounge!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a really nice place to have in Duluth and is quite unique vs other places in Duluth. Presentation of the food and beverage is very cool and classy. Live music is always good. We always order a few appetizers to share and have never been disappointed. My favorite is the tenderloin medallions, although not quite as good this time. Prices are a little higher than most in Duluth but for the atmosphere it is always worth it for a stop. Happy hour is a very good value.

Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor!
We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was our first time at Blackwater. We were unsure where to go when we arrived. No signs saying where to sit or if someone will seat you. We had 3 different waitresses in the course of an hour. One seemed offended when we would ask for something of another waitress. She was a bit cold to us and was not often around.

On the upside the atmosphere was outstanding. Very comfortable in all aspects. The two waitresses that popped in frequently were so nice and sweet. The sushi was outstanding. It was so flavorful. The food arrived quickly. We may not go back but it is always an option.

Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your review of Black Water Lounge. We greatly appreciate your honesty and feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon!