“Fantastic hotel experience”

The Inn on Lake Superior
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My wife and I were in town for 4 nights for a conference. Quite simply, we liked everything about The Inn on Lake Superior. Our clean, large room on the 3rd floor overlooked the lake and had a private balcony. It was neat to see the lake change its character according to the weather. Great view of the ships!

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The multi-function showerhead was great, and we liked the unique brand of bodywash, shampoo, etc. The hotel staff was friendly, from the maids to the front desk staff. Breakfasts were outstanding, and varied by the day... waffles, french toast, huevos rancheros, sausage, cereal, fruit, etc. Breakfast was served from 6-10. The coffee and cappucino machines ran 24/7. At 8pm, bonfires were turned on on the back patio, and free smores were available for roasting. Everyone was enjoying the smores! On Friday night, there was entertainment out there.

The location is next to the bike path and pedestrian boardwalk, which provides easy access to miles of lakeshore. We rented bikes one day and rode the length of Minnesota Point. We thought we'd charged the bikes to the room, but upon checkout learned that the rental was free. One last thing we liked was that the sodas and water in the room fridge were complimentary. So was the parking. We will definitely stay here EVERY time we are in Duluth!

Room Tip: If you can afford it
Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thanks for your fantastic review! We have rain here today and the lake has again changed its character, and people are still on the lake and boardwalk, enjoying all we have to offer. We're happy to know you will be our guest again on future visits.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed at the Inn for The World and Reggae Festival. The Tall Ships were also on the Lake so Duluth was hopping! We stayed on the Lakeside and was very pleased with the room. Kind of outdated art and wall paper but it didn't really matter. The breakfast was only ok but I did care because all I wanted was the jerk chicken and curried goat at the festival! I would stay there again but if you go when there's big events the rooms are almost $300 a night. The outside pool is really small.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Thank you for posting your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Duluth, and that you were happy with the service & accommodations we provided. We are so lucky to have so many events here, there's something for everyone at one time or another. We hope you'll be our guest again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Located steps away from Lake Superior in the city of Duluth. Several shops and restaurants are within walkable distance. One can see ocean-going vessels pass under the Duluth High Bridge. Three other hotels are also located in Canal Park, and they are all of high quality. I generally choose the Inn because of their lower off-season rates (high season is summer). Coupons for the low rates can be found in the Northland Coupon Book, which is available in many tourist locations during the summer.

A very nice complimentary breakfast is served every morning. Make-your-own S'mores are available every evening. Besides the indoor pool, there is a roof-top outdoor pool. The lakeside rooms, which have a small balcony, are a bit more expensive than the other rooms. I enjoy a city-view room with the lights of night twinkling up the hill.

All in all, the Canal Park area of Duluth is a great place to stay, summer or winter, and the Inn on Lake Superior never disappoints.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to write and share your review. We know you have other hotel choices here and really appreciate your loyalty and repeated stays with us. Please let me know when you will be here next so I can thank you in person.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We part of a very large group that had people staying at 3 hotels. Our room was on the first floor facing the indoor pool. Occasionally we heard quite a bit of noise from the pool during the day but it wasn't a problem at night. The breakfast was okay, I've had better. The room looked recently remodeled (I'd guess within the last few years). It is a very nice hotel. I gave it a 4 because I know there are better hotels but probably not for this price.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of Lake Superior.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. We know you have a lot of hotel choices in Duluth and really appreciate your business. Our goal is to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and we look forward to any input we get on how to improve our product and services. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel was lovely..minus a few upgrades that are needed in the room..overall it was lovely though..we had an king disable room which was the best if you have a baby. It was spacious and the bathroom was very large which was very needed..even the chair in the bathroom was useful as it was flat and we placed our changing mat on it. The bed was mostly confy and the view from our room was lovely. Even had weekend music down below ..we could sit on our balcony and enjoy whilst the baby was sleeping and still feel apart of it.
The breakfast was great but could have done with a few other things in the hot secton as I was tired of waffles after the third day..but I must say they were good waffles and a great feature to the hotels breakfast. I enjoyed that there was always something my daughter could eat as well....ie toast, fruit, yougart..ect..and the coffee and capicino machine as tops too.

The only thing that really destoryed our stay was that when we checked in the staff seemed as we were bothering them and if they just really didnt want to help us. Even the next day when we went down with a question they seemed as if they didnt really want ot talk to us..but with that said I would have to say that when we checked out al ovely gentlemen helped us and didnt seem like the rest of the ladies who seemed bothered.

The housekeeping staff is completley useless..although they were very friendly and nice..each time we went back to our room..it seemed that all they did was make the bed and give us new towels..well most times they gave us clean towels..two days they missed the face towel..or a body wash..or something like that..and they didnt ever take the empty bottles just gave us new ones...Also they didnt clean the floors which was weired to me. Each night my husband would have a beer in the chair and every day the bottle would still be there after the clean..after day two we would leave it there to see if they would have thrown it out..and surely they wouldnt. A few days we didnt get water replacement ..ect..
I know its not 5 star...but I just think making a bed and give clean towels and taking out rubbish is not a proper serviced room in my opinon.

2  Thank remyholic
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received during your stay with us. I will use your comments in discussions and training to emphasize the importance of everyone doing their best at all times, with every guest. Should your travels ever bring you back to our area, we hope you will give us the opportunity to give you a better experience here.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I just stayed there this past weekend with my children as part of a sporting event they were partaking in. This place exceeded our expectations for a home base.

The inn is on the shore of Lake Superior, just 1-2 blocks from the lift bridge. The dining area overlooks the lake. As we were finishing breakfast one morning, my daughter noticed a ship coming in. We quickly cleared our dishes, and still in their slippers, my kids tore off to see the ship approach and go under the lift bridge - waiving to the crew as the boat passed by. Despite ages of 9, 10, and 12, they still loved the experience.

At night, they looked forward to making smores outside. It was a great treat for helping the kids wind down. The area set aside for this outside the hotel was never crowded as people rotated through for their snack. Providing live music is a nice touch.

The inn also offered hot dogs and chips on weekend nights that may appeal to some people, but the inn is so close to various food options, so this amenity may not be for everyone. There is plenty of shopping nearby to explore, and it was restful just walking along the boardwalk outside the hotel.

The indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna were enjoyed by all ... but, it was appreciated that their was also a separate (but a bit small) outdoor pool to retreat to when children who have been poorly raised have are showing off their bad manners (using water guns to spray adults and small kids and personal belongings resting on tables outside the pool - mom ineffectually just kept telling son and daughter to stop, but never took toy away). Actually, over three days, we had favorable experiences in the pool most of the time.

Some of the furniture is showing wear on corners. However, the rooms were kept clean, and it was appreciated when housekeeping left a courtesy beverage in the fridge that I was able to use one morning when I needed the beverage. One final note, our family are pillow hogs ... we love to have plenty of pillows. Each bed was made with 5, so we each had plenty to rest upon.

Breakfast fare has a large variety that rotates slightly each day. It's not gourmet, but definitely a bit nicer than overall than the "free breakfast" found at many other places.

When we come back to Duluth, we would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thanks so much for your kind words. We work hard to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and really appreciate your recognition of our efforts. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Duluth.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here this past weekend with my husband, 2 boys( 6 and 9) and our dog. Here is the good.
1. Friendly staff
2. Quiet rooms, even with other dogs on our floor, 2nd floor is where the pet rooms are
3. Clean guest room
4. Extra gifts for our 4 legged friend, water bowl, Frisbee, dog treats, bandana and dog tag
5. BBQ at night which gave each family member a free hot dog and chips both nights of our stay
6. Size of pool indoors with a huge hot tub and lots of seating
7. Small but very warm rooftop pool with lots of seating and lounge chairs

The NOT so good

1. Horrible dirty food smell in dining area
2. Dingy cracked tiles throughout public areas
3. Food stains on walls in lobby area and dining area
4. Tiles inside pools in need of some serious cleaning

Overall our stay was pleasant and worth it because we had our dog. However without her with us I would not stay here again. I am a person that loves a clean place and can see no reason why this shouldn't be when they are charging you top rate for there rooms. With so many other choices in the Canal Park area I will go else where next time. I do however hope management reads this and takes it to heart. I believe with some DEEP cleaning and renovations this place can again be back to what it once was. If that was the case I would give it another try.

1  Thank kayMinnesota

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and photos. We are sorry you were not happy with the conditions you found at the hotel. We are continually working on renovations and improvements, and hope you will notice them the next time you are here.