“Very disappointed”

The Inn on Lake Superior
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Inn and was very disappointed. We stayed on the ground level with a gorgeous view of the lake. When I got to the room, there were 2 dirty glasses sitting outside of the door. When I entered the room, it smelled very badly of air freshener. The bathroom and vanity were updated but everything else was very dated. The bedspread on both beds were very wrinkled and one had a very big stain on it. I know it is Minnesota, but was disappointed when I saw several mosquitoes and spiders in the room, before we had even opened the door to go outside. I had a very hard time sleeping there as it just didn't feel clean!
The next morning as we were getting breakfast (it was close to 10) and the person responsible for cleaning up, was doing so as we were trying to get breakfast. It was very rude! We weren't the only ones getting breakfast, but they didn't care. As we were dishing up, they were putting everything up in front of us.
My kiddos loved the Smores and the pool and the view is beautiful! It was a bummer that the room was very dirty!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank luvtotravle
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear luvtoreavle,

I am very sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment, discomfort and inconvenience you experienced here. Timely feedback from valued guests such as yourself is used to make improvements to our operation. We take it very seriously when we learn that we have failed our guests in any way. We would like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was the 3rd year of hosting a business conference at The Inn. Once again the staff was polite and friendly. They continue to update the property, so that it looks fresh. Having the breakfast option is wonderful, as it saves on travel costs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear SueG5455,

Thank you very much for bringing your wonderful group back to us again this year, and for taking the time to write and post your nice review. We enjoy serving you here and hope we can welcome you back again next year.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I really enjoyed the overall stay. However when I scheduled the room I wasn't told about the room tax being so high adding an unexpected 70 dollars to the room price. The view, service, and location were great. I would recommend to a friend but would caution them on the room prices.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest-jun2014,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your nice review. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job of explaining the tax charges for you prior to your arrival, and offer my apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I'll use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that we don't make the same mistake again. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Way overpriced for what you receive! We booked a city view jacuzzi room and expected just that! What we got was a view of bushes and rooftop electrical boxes! The room is nothing special...jacuzzi which wasn't cleaned out and when we filled it with water.... hair chunks floated up-gross. After taking the time to clean it out, we decided to get in. Once in and enjoying the jets it started shorting out or something....The electricity in our room started flickering, we had to shut it off and just got out! The bathroom is very ugly and doesn't have a fan. The only good thing was the bikes available for use and playing bean bags by the lake. I would not pay to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Continue-Exploring
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Continue-Exploring,

I am truly sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort, frustration and inconveniences you experienced here. We want all our guests to be thrilled they decided to stay with us and take it very seriously when we fail to deliver the best in service and accommodations, like we failed with you. We'd like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this personally. We value your business and your feedback, which we will use to improve our operation. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make this right and serve you again.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Have stayed at the Inn On Lake Superior several times and have never been disappointed. From the tremendous location in close proximity to sights, food and shopping, to the comfortable, clean rooms and attentive staff. Have always enjoyed a relaxed, worry free experience. I would not hesitate to recommend the Inn On Lake Superior to anybody with a Duluth stay in their future.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend lakeside rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank braddman470
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear braddman470,

Thanks for your many stays and for taking the time to write and post your first review about your experiences here. Everyone here really enjoys working hard to provide all our guests with the best service and accommodations in the Twin Ports, and we really appreciate your kind words and strong recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back every time you are in Duluth.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Have stayed many times and every time is fantastic. The views, location, rooms, breakfasts, s'mores are all great. The staff are welcoming and helpful. This is our first choice when we visit the Duluth area.

Room Tip: Any room facing is the lake is great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Jimjo85,

Thank you very much for making us your hotel of choice when visiting Duluth, and for posting your wonderful comments. We take pride in delivering an excellent experience to all our guests and really appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team and your compliments. I hope we can welcome you back and thank you in person soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I just left the Inn on Lake Superior, sadly. The entire facility provided a wonderful experience, from staff hospitality to several extras not always seen at other hotels. I highly recommend this facility for any stay in Duluth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Bill M,

Thanks for making your very first TA review about your recent stay at our hotel. I'm so glad you and your wife were able to relax and enjoy yourselves here. We appreciate your compliments and your recommendation. I hope you will be our guest again.