“Beautiful View But Noisy!”

The Inn On Lake Superior
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Inn on Lake Superior is a great location, can't beat it. The s'mores are excellent and employees are very nice. Unfortunately, we stayed on the third floor, and while the view of the lake is wonderful, there is a utility closet right across the hallway that slammed and literally shook out hotel room almost every 10 minutes. We paid slightly less than $300 dollars for our room and I would hope that for that price that when I kindly asked the desk manager TWO DIFFERENT TIMES to please make employees aware that there are guest rooms in the hallways and that the door slamming was extremely loud, that the manager would follow through to let employees know that the slamming of utility doors was extremely unpleasant, but the door continued to slam a few times an hour. I am not sure if the message was communicated to the employees but the walls are paper thin. While the room is nicely renovated, the top cover/blanket had stains all over it, as well as the pillow shams. For the price of the hotel, I would like to think that the sheets would be more clean and that the hotel managers would be more conscientious of noise concerns.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Erin L,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your remarks. I am truly sorry you did not receive the high quality guest experience we are known for, and hope you will accept my apology for the disappointment, discomfort and frustration we caused for you. Guest comfort and happiness are tip priorities for us and we take it very seriously when we fail to deliver our best. We will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation so this does not recur or continue. We'd like to make amends and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further. We look forward to regaining your trust and hope to hear from you soon.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a great choice for our team to stay at over this past weekend for Duluth soccer tournament. The location right on the lake is perfect. I had not spent time in Duluth before and definitely would go back. The evening smores is a nice touch and the girls really enjoyed that. The rooftop pool is heated and perfect, as was the morning breakfast which is in a huge kitchen area with plenty of room and seating indoors and out. The room was satisfactory far as clean and comfortable. Request the 3rd floor and spend a little more for a room with a balcony and or lakeview. I would even ask to have a room that has been updated, I believe they are in process of updating rooms, some have been done and some not. The room we had was on 3rd floor near the lighthouse side so you could hear very clearly that sounding off every few seconds all night long so that may be disruptive to some sleepers but did not phase us. The walls are VERY thin, you can hear the people next to you speaking so that is one complaint... While we were there we ate at a Mexican place next to Fitgers that was just OK, I probably would not go back there. We ate at Grandmas, that was just OK too. Next time I'd try the Bellisios italian place I have heard good things about and Pizza Luce. We also ate at the Canal brewery, some people's food was just OK, I had a burger and it was really good. I would recommend going here for a burger! They have a nice outdoor patio/fire seating area at Canal Brewery too. While in Duluth we took a trip to Spirit Mountain and went down their alpine slide, that was fun! Our trip to Duluth was a success, despite the crazy changes in weather so bring all seasons of attire! Far as The Inn on the lake, it was a good choice, I would go back!

Room Tip: 3rd floor, lakeview, ask for updated room!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JamLkvlMN
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear JamLkvlMN,

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your fantastic and detailed review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad our service and accommodations met your needs and expectations. We appreciate you recognition of jobs well done by our team and hope we can serve you here again. We enjoy hosting all kinds of athletes and teams, because we find their spirit and camaraderie very inspiring. Please continue to know how we can make your stay more enjoyable the next time you are here.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed at The Inn every summer for the past 8 years, and it has always been awesome. The location is perfect. The view (lake view is a must!) is amazing. The breakfast is an upgrade to traditional continentals, Tazo teas! The outdoor pool was 100 degrees, so great to be in on a foggy Duluth day. Top notch bike rentals(free!) Nightly s'mores on Lake Superior. Great customer service, no complaints!

Room Tip: Lake View for sure!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank matischer
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear matischer,

Thank you for your many visits and wonderful review. We take a great deal of pride in our people and operations and endeavor to deliver a terrific experience to every guest. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and appreciate your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here the next time you are in Duluth.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Inn and was very disappointed. We stayed on the ground level with a gorgeous view of the lake. When I got to the room, there were 2 dirty glasses sitting outside of the door. When I entered the room, it smelled very badly of air freshener. The bathroom and vanity were updated but everything else was very dated. The bedspread on both beds were very wrinkled and one had a very big stain on it. I know it is Minnesota, but was disappointed when I saw several mosquitoes and spiders in the room, before we had even opened the door to go outside. I had a very hard time sleeping there as it just didn't feel clean!
The next morning as we were getting breakfast (it was close to 10) and the person responsible for cleaning up, was doing so as we were trying to get breakfast. It was very rude! We weren't the only ones getting breakfast, but they didn't care. As we were dishing up, they were putting everything up in front of us.
My kiddos loved the Smores and the pool and the view is beautiful! It was a bummer that the room was very dirty!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank luvtotravle

Dear luvtoreavle,

I am very sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment, discomfort and inconvenience you experienced here. Timely feedback from valued guests such as yourself is used to make improvements to our operation. We take it very seriously when we learn that we have failed our guests in any way. We would like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was the 3rd year of hosting a business conference at The Inn. Once again the staff was polite and friendly. They continue to update the property, so that it looks fresh. Having the breakfast option is wonderful, as it saves on travel costs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear SueG5455,

Thank you very much for bringing your wonderful group back to us again this year, and for taking the time to write and post your nice review. We enjoy serving you here and hope we can welcome you back again next year.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I really enjoyed the overall stay. However when I scheduled the room I wasn't told about the room tax being so high adding an unexpected 70 dollars to the room price. The view, service, and location were great. I would recommend to a friend but would caution them on the room prices.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest-jun2014,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your nice review. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job of explaining the tax charges for you prior to your arrival, and offer my apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I'll use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that we don't make the same mistake again. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Way overpriced for what you receive! We booked a city view jacuzzi room and expected just that! What we got was a view of bushes and rooftop electrical boxes! The room is nothing special...jacuzzi which wasn't cleaned out and when we filled it with water.... hair chunks floated up-gross. After taking the time to clean it out, we decided to get in. Once in and enjoying the jets it started shorting out or something....The electricity in our room started flickering, we had to shut it off and just got out! The bathroom is very ugly and doesn't have a fan. The only good thing was the bikes available for use and playing bean bags by the lake. I would not pay to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Continue-Exploring
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Continue-Exploring,

I am truly sorry you were unhappy with us during your recent stay and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort, frustration and inconveniences you experienced here. We want all our guests to be thrilled they decided to stay with us and take it very seriously when we fail to deliver the best in service and accommodations, like we failed with you. We'd like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this personally. We value your business and your feedback, which we will use to improve our operation. I hope you will give us the opportunity to make this right and serve you again.