“Its all about the location”

The Inn On Lake Superior
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

You can't beat the location of this hotel, right on Lake Superior in the Canal Park area. The staff is friendly. There are, however, a few problems. I arrived to check in at 3:15 PM, check in time is advertised to be 3:00 PM. The lobby was filled with unhappy people, after waiting in line 10 minutes for one of the only two check in clerks, I was delighted to find our room ready. Not so for the many people in the lobby, some were told there would be an hour wait as the housekeeping staff had only "started on those rooms". I think whenever rooms are not ready in time there has been a failure in management. It is not like they do not know how many people are checking out and checking in on a particular day. They try to get by with minimal staff and it is not enough at times. Our lake view room was musty smelling, the very large shower stall had very moldy tiles near its floor, the black out curtains had a three inch rip, and the toilet would run on at times. Carpets in the halls and, especially, the stairs were dirty. Breakfast was okay with hot and cold items. Evening had a cook your own smores feature which everyone seemed to enjoy. So great location but a venue that could have some more attentive care.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms cost more but the view is well worth it. Try for the third floor as they may be a l...
1  Thank jenopac
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear jenopac,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to tell us about you stay. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job of delivering the excellent guest experience we are known for and apologize for the frustration and discomfort you experienced. We'd like to learn which room you were in so we can make sure that the housekeeping and maintenance departments can make the necessary repairs and improvements. I'm glad you liked other aspects of your stay and appreciate you including those comments in your review. I hope you will let us restore your confidence on a future visit.

Guest Relaitons

There are newer reviews for The Inn On Lake Superior

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We took an impromptu trip to Duluth and didn't have a room reserved. We truly lucked out when the other two hotels we tried were full. Every single member of the staff that we encountered at The Inn treated us like we were the most important guests they have ever had. From the front desk, to housekeeping, to the breakfast staff, to maintenance -- they all were very pleasant and welcoming. We love to stay along the canal because of the convenience walking along the lake and to the local restaurants. Being treated so well made this one of our best trips yet. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Recommend staying lakeside for a quieter room. Poolside you can hear the kids in the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Pam B,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with our hotel. We know you have a lot of hotels to choose from and I'm glad we were able to accommodate you during your recent visit to Duluth. Everyone here enjoys delivering a higher quality guest experience than our competitors and I'm glad you were happy and satisfied with our performance. I'll share your comments with our team so they know their efforts are appreciated. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was an excellent hotel to stay at, very friendly and a lot of "special" things included such as free make your own smores out back every night and free bike rentals. When we needed anything extra brought up to our room it came quickly. One thing that was soooo nice was that the indoor pool was very warm, much warmer than any other hotel pool I've been in, It was nice not to have my 4 year old shiver when he got out. The views are spectacular and it's right by so many things within walking distance. The reason why I gave it 4 stars is that the TV didn't work quite right. It kept shutting off and when i asked for a listing of channels at the front desk, I got a list that did not correspond with the actual channels on the TV. Also, our refrigerator in our room was off balance and so one time it didn't close all the way. Also, the comforter kept slipping off the bed due to the type of fabric. I just asked for another blanket and that worked. But all in all, it was a great place to stay and this hotel would be my first choice for when we go back up there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Becky H,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your nice review. I'm sorry for the problems you encountered in your room and apologize for the frustration and discomfort you experienced. We are working with our television provider to get an accurate channel list, and I'll have our maintenance team look at the set in your room to make any necessary repairs. I'm glad you were happy with other aspects of your stay and appreciate that you included those comments in your review. We value all guest feedback which we use to make improvements to our guest experience. I hope you will continue to let us know how we can serve you best during your future visits.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The inn is right on the lake. Some of the rooms looked right over the lake! But some of them are right over the indoor pool. When people finally go to sleep, it's not bad, but when you want to sleep in, the kids are pretty loud at 8 AM. The difference between the view of the rooms is not very big on the quality of the rooms. The beds are nice and TV is good and the decor is good. I would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Ty C,

Thank you for posting your candid comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise from other guests and offer my apologies. We want all our guest to enjoy all their time with us and we take it very seriously when we learn of any dissatisfaction. We do offer room s in different locations on the property, and with different views. I hope you will I hope you will let us know how we can make you more comfortable the next time you are here.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Overall this was a great place to stay. However, I do recommend getting a room that looks over the lake and not a pool room if you have the choice. The rooms that look over the pool offer an inside balcony to "look over the pool". However, it's mostly humid and smells like chlorine so we spent no time there. The rooms were of average size, but they were clean. The hotel can be noisy at times. It does offer a full hot breakfast with tables that view the lake. This is on canal park and close to the lift bridge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Mavis J,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your nice review. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. I hope we can serve you here again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at The Inn on Lake Superior for the 3rd time last weekend. I would have to say it is still the best place to stay when in Duluth. The location can't be beat, the service and staff are top notch. They have nice little touches like smores at night for the kids and bikes that you can use for free. My family love this place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Fred D,

Thank you very much for coming back to stay with us again, and for posting another great review. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a comfortable stay and great service, and really appreciate your feedback and your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are here.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Complimentary s'mores at night with a bonfire by the lake was a great added touch. Plenty of breakfast items. They got me in the room early, which was great. We liked the roof top hot tub which only had adults later in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lovethelakes3,

Thanks so much for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We endeavor to give all our guests the best in service and accommodations and we appreciate your compliments. I hope you will let us serve you here again.