All reviewswithin walking distancedowntown duluthcanal parkroom was cleansuperior streetdesk personcoffee potgas fireplacewhirlpool tubearly checkmotelsheratonrefrigeratorships
Reviewed 13 May 2015

Last minute trip planned to drive up the north shore from Deerwood. Made reservation via phone & was hesitant at first due to the inexpensive price. Glad we took it. Close to everything. Didn't have to move car. Easy parking. Just a short walk to the canal park. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tbunga
Reviewed 15 March 2015

Was extremely surprised to find this great little hotel tucked away amongst the tall buildings. The rooms were spacious, clean & comfortable. All the amenities in the room worked just fine (TV, heat, coffee pot, etc.) The bathroom looked newly upgraded. The bed was very comfortable & parking seemed to be ample, although the place wasn't booked solid. The free "continental breakfast" was somewhat lacking (a box of pastries), but there are plenty of places to get something to eat. The location was convenient to many places; restaurants, bars, the lake & many shops. Just open your door & if you're up early & lucky, you can get a great view of the sunrise coming over the horizon of Lake Superior. Desk staff was pleasant & helpful as well. Overall good stay!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robert J
Reviewed 14 February 2015

Drove two and a half hours to stay here and it's well worth it. The room was spacious , clean , it's quiet and everything is walking distance from Lakeway inn. All over amazing time here and he price is amazing .

• Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed 3 February 2015

This place is adjacent to the skywalk to the medical facilities, which is why we booked 3 rooms when a family member was having surgery. If you're looking for a fancy hotel with big rooms, a pool and other amenities, you can stay next door at the Sheratan and pay more than twice as much. We found the rooms to be clean, quiet, the beds comfortable (we had 2 queen beds), cable TV, coffee maker and coffee in the room, small fridge, free wifi in the room, stand-up shower. Some rooms might have a tub, ours didn't, we didn't care.

Another review mentioned their room smelled of smoke. When I booked the rooms the very pleasant gentleman asked if we wanted non-smoking rooms. One of our 3 rooms was for a smoker so we go him a smoking room. The other 2 were non-smoking rooms and we detected no hint of smoke.

This is a motel, with rooms opening to the outside, not to a hallway. So if you're there in the winter, don't stand in the doorway talking to people with the door open letting the cold in as I did. But it warmed up again pretty fast. You walk outside to the room adjacent to the office for free ice and a beverage machine. We found this place to be perfectly adequate and if we go back to Duluth, we'll definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2015

This review is long overdue. I've had the opportunity to stay here twice and highly recommend it.

Unfortunately my stays were driven by the fact that my Mother was having surgical procedures making my free time limited as well as the length of stay somewhat questionable. This is what initially attracted me to this property. Originally I was looking at the Sheraton, located right next door for my stay, it was a name I was familiar with. However, their policy regarding in the length of the stay was less than flexible even though they are referenced in the pre-surgical info provided by the hospitals. Not so at the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn, I explained that I was uncertain of the exact length of the stay and they were more than happy to work with me in that regard without any additional fees.

For the price I was more than a little skeptical as to what to expect. Can't stress enough how pleasantly surprised I was. During my first visit I booked the Penthouse Suite since it had kitchen facilities and my Mother had restricted dietary needs prior to the surgery. I still laugh about this. The best way I can describe this room is a very comfy little apartment, with a great a great view as well as a jacuzzi tub and fireplace. Seriously, and it was less than a standard room next door at the Sheraton. I ended up moving into another room for part of this stay because they had the opportunity for a family to utilize the Penthouse suite for their holiday gathering. How cool was that, they enjoyed it immensely.

Absolutely no complaints the other room I stayed in was as charming as could be. All knotty pine with a northwoods motif as well as jacuzzi tub, fireplace, small kitchenette with a coffee pot, microwave, small fridge and sink, perfect. These things came in handy since I ordered delivery frequently during this stay, fortunately there were a lot of good options. They had menus located by the front desk, that was very helpful. This room had a very comfy king size bed, I loved it. Actually, It was the room I booked for my next stay.

Somethings I find important when traveling are water pressure and hot water availability both were great here. The level of hospitality of the staff, here I would say they are all wonderful. Cleanliness of the room, the room was kept nicely. The comfort of the beds, in both both rooms the bed was comfortable. I actually preferred the bed in the smaller suite. The bed in the Penthouse suite actually folds into the wall which was cool and it was comfy but I like the other one better. Also location, on this count I found it perfect. It's located very conveniently to the Skyway for going back and forth to the hospitals.

However, if you want to take advantage of this place for a great get-a-way weekend the locale is perfect as well. While it's a small place no bar or restaurant on site anything you could want is within walking distance. Being located right at the corner of Superior Street and 4TH Ave E they are surrounded by numerous great places to eat wonderful little shops and on top of that as mentioned earlier they overlook the lake. For those that enjoy it the Casino is only two blocks away and a comfortable walk even in the winter.

I did not stay in any of their standard rooms, but from what I gathered in visiting with other guests they are great bang for the buck. I look forward to getting up to this property when I have more time to get out and really enjoy the city.

Honestly I was somewhat hesitant to reveal this place to the population for fear of lack of availability for future stays. But they deserve to be know for being a great Little Gem hidden in Duluth. Kudos Guys, Thanks Again.

Deb

Room Tip: Their Suites are great bang for the buck!
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business