“Simply Amazing!”
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
Ranked #4 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2008

This was the second trip my girlfriend and I have made to a bed and breakfast and I think that I'll have a hard time convincing myself to go anywhere besides the cotton mansion in the future.

First off, the house is incredible. Drive past the other B&Bs in Duluth before coming to the cotton mansion and you'll see what I mean. The house itself is in a league of its own. Throughout the common areas, the house has amazing woodwork and plasterwork on every wall and ceiling. The walls have the original silk wall finishings still up and there were more marble fireplaces than I could count. The house is set up in a very inviting way and we felt more than comfortable sitting in the living room and library throughout the day. Unlike other B&Bs where you can end up mostly confined to your room, there is plenty of space to roam here and you feel encouraged to do so.

We stayed in the Sunset Room, which was one of the smaller rooms, but more than adequate. The "small" room still had a whirlpool tub in a separate room and enough space for a table and two chairs.

Breakfast was very good and served in a very nice setting. My girlfriend and I are both vegetarians and Ken and Kimberly were very nice to accomodate our requests with no hassle.

I would highly reccomend the cotton mansion if you ever have the chance to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2008

I wanted something romantic and just a weekend to get away, and I knew that Duluth was the perfect place to do that, since we both love it up there. I had planned this weekend for us, but i didn't want Jason to know anything. I was searching the internet and came across the Cotton Mansion, it looked so beautiful. Neither one of us had ever been to a bed and breakfast before, and I wanted this weekend to be full of things we have never done before.
I made Jason drive up there, so I could look at the directions. As soon as we got to the mansion, his face was priceless. He didn't even know what a bed and breakfast was. He was a little nervous. We walked into the door and it was the most beautiful thing either of us had ever seen. There is so much detail in this house, it is unbelievable. After we got a tour of the main level they brought us to our room, and this is something i will never forget. When another couple was getting shown their room we were walking around and the door was open to our room, and Jason said this is our room huh, we stayed in the Belle Cotton Suite. I said yes, and his face just lit up. The room is so peaceful and romantic. He just couldn't believe what was going on.
In the mornings we had breakfast at the dining room table, the was amazing. It tasted so wonderful and was beautifully set up.
I would recommend the Cotton Mansion to everyone. There is so much history in this house, and Ken and Kimberly make your time here so much more enjoyable. They make you feel right at home, and we can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 18 August 2008

Me and my wife got to stay at the mansion for a 2 Night stay for our honeymoon! It was our first time at a B&B. It was the Most amazing mini getaway ever!
The Mansion was just wonderfully restored with every little detail is just amazing, And as we were in our room we could read the little diarys of previous guests and all they said was how GREAT the food and service that Ken and Kimberly provided. Kimberly wasn't just the best cook, It was also so nicely presented you could almost not want to eat it :-). And Ken would serve amazing coffee and explain the long interesting history of the house.
Then relaxing in the rooms with individual 2 person hot tubs was so wonderful in the very detail oriented rooms! It is very hard to say how AMAZING the whole expierence is at the mansion.
Thanks for the Great time we want to bring some friends back up with us that have never been to Duluth so I am excited already to do it all over again.

Reviewed 15 August 2008

My Husband and I came to Duluth to the Cotton Mansion in celebration of our 2nd anniversary (the "cotton" Anniversary!!) It will deffinatly be a hard anniversary to beat. The mansion was so beautiful! There was so much to take in. Beautiful wood work, AMAZING Fireplaces, and so much history! We got to stay in the Terrace suite. I would recomend this room to anyone!!! It was gorgeous! I was not expecting the beautiful fresh flowers that my husband had arranged to get with the room, and the Champagne and chocolate suprise after dinner! It was so dream like. Having Champagne on the terrace with great romantic cds playing in the background ( that they provided!!) and the city lites sparkling! It could not have been better. Even the extra details like the candles and the Bath salts for the whirl pool, great shampoo, Magazines, and really elegant Sheets. It all really shouted high class!! This was so much better than staying in a hotel! Ken and Kim really know how to make you feel welcome and spoiled!! I really hope we will be able to come back next anniversary!

Reviewed 12 August 2008

We felt pampered, welcomed, and awed staying in this historic home on the last night of our yearly motorcycle trip with our 2 couple friends. We eagerly sampled the delicious snacks and wine upon our arrival, after a long day on the road. We were able to see each others' rooms after arriving and concluded we each had a spectacular room! The large common rooms on the main floor were elegant, beautifully maintained, and comfortable. Our group played cards in the living room in the evening, closing the "pocket doors" to keep our noise level down. Our hosts, Kimberly and Ken, were very friendly, helpful, and provided us with a delicious breakfast. The extra touches, like a stereo system in each room with romantic CDs, the soaps and shampoos, the candles by the whirlpool tubs, fluffy towels and colorful sheets, the beautifully decorated bedrooms, made our stay very memorable. We asked our hosts questions about the history of the house which they were glad to share with us, when we asked. They made sure we had all we needed. We can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2008

My husband and I were looking for a romantic getaway for our honeymoon and had heard wonderful things about Duluth's Cotton Mansion. We decided to book the Terrace Suite for three days and they were the most romantic relaxing days of my life! The whirlpool tubs, candel lit breakfast, and beautiful decorations were perfect for newlyweds. Our room was always clean and we always had fresh towels. I would recommend the Cotton Mansion to anyone looking for a romantic getaway they will remember for years.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We were looking for a place in Duluth at the last minute. The Cotton Mansion had a cancellation so we booked the Terrace Suite for a Saturday night. The room could have been cleaner. There was a lot of old dust on the wood work and grills in the bathroom. The Kleenex box was empty. There were no table lamps except one by the bedside that was too dim to read by. So the harsh overhead lights were all we had to read our books by. The room was hot and stuffy, even with all the windows open so we turned the airconditioner on and blew a fuse. We called Ken and had to leave a message. This was 10 PM and maybe an hour later, we were asleep, all of a suddent the light went on and so did the air conditioner. There is a requirement of no shoes inside, but the terrace had a lot of plant debris on it. No cushions on the chairs on the terrace. It just lacked some warm and homey touches for me, which is what most people want from a B&B. Breakfast is brought to the room, but if you're an early riser, it's a long wait. The guests who go to the dining room are fed first, so breakfast in the Terrace Suite is at 9:30 AM. It was a delicious breakfast. More soft lighting and fresh air would help warm up the Terrace Suite for a relaxing stay. I don't think it was worth $265.00 per night.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dixiecat4702
annmeyers, Owner at Cotton Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2008

We are a Romantic Retreat for couples. At the Cotton Mansion our mission is to meet or exceed our guests expectations.
Seldom, but occasionally something might not be right. If a concern or problem is brought to our attention, we are diligent in taking care of the issue.
However, when guests don't express a problem until they are at home on their computer, it is difficult to make them happy.
If there was a concern with lighting, we would have been able to remind them of the dimmer switch for the overhead lighting.
If they had followed the directions that they were given for using the A/C, they would not have tripped the circuit. But instead of being thankful that there was someone to correct the issue, they chose to complain about it after the fact.
Our advice is that if you are looking for a truly elegant inn to reconnect with someone you love, then Cotton Mansion is the place.
If, however, you want to spend your time crawling around looking for a miniscule amount of dust, then please try a hotel.