“Why can't the places back home be like this?”

Famous Dave's Barbeque
Ranked #35 of 263 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Last minute choice, after the big marathon so staff had put in a long hard day! Immediate seating. Friendly folks. I had the 1/2 ribs and brisket with beans, garlic mashed and cornbread, friend had 1/2 ribs and wings, corn and mashed. 1 beer, 1 lemonade. Food came out in minutes. nice preparation,and excellent taste! St. Louis ribs done perfectly. Brisket was tender. Both agreed the garlic in the potatoes was way in the background, but it is Minnesota after all. Only marked a 4 because had to ask waiter for a couple of things we had asked for (butter etc)...but again evening of the busiest day ever, so easy to forgive. We have a place in our hometown trying to be like this and they fall short in every category. Why didn't they get a Dave's franchise instead??? Also a sad place in Grand Forks, OH if only they had gone to Dave! Parking is tight even on a regular day, nice outside patio area but no view. Eat at FD's in Franklin TN often and this place was exactly the same, so good cross franchise controls! Will return. with tip $50.00 which seems high but times they are a changin' everywhere.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was reminded of my last trip to Famous Dave's (December 2013) when my husband and I were invited to go there again and politely declined. It reminded me that I never did come out and post a review, which I usually think to do when I'm very happy at a restaurant, but apparently am not so great at doing when I'm not happy.

Maybe we hit them on an off night, or maybe our server was having a really bad night; but I was so thoroughly disappointed by our "giving them another try" visit last December, that it's highly unlikely that I will ever go again. Some 10 years ago, we had a bad experience and I hadn't been back, but was reassured by a friend that their food was great and that I really should give it another try. So I agreed to go with a group of 6 of us. We were seated quickly, which seemed promising for a Saturday night-- but everything from there was just disappointing. My meal was mediocre at best and if our server checked on us 5 times (once to take drink orders, then deliver drinks/take food order, then to deliver salads, then to deliver food and finally after waiting over-long, to deliver the bill)-- I suppose that was it. Nobody got drink refills and we had a hard time getting anybody's attention to get a fork, because one of our salads didn't come with one. We ended up just sharing a fork (hubby and I) and waiting until the main entrees were delivered to get another.

In fairness-- some other people at the table were happy with their food. So I probably should have mentioned to my server that my meat was terrible and dry-- only he didn't give me the opportunity. If I had been the more forceful sort, I would have gone and found a manager to complain to-- but that's not my style and I know I'm not the only one uncomfortable with making a scene.

I might be convinced to go back, but I forgive bad food a LOT quicker than I forgive bad service, so it may be another 10 years before I go to Famous Dave's again.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The kids and I ended up down town while my husband was in a business meeting. The staff was great and made us feel very welcome! There was also plenty of free parking.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Good food...better service! The atmosphere is always good at Famous Dave's, although I must say service was better when the restaurant was busier (previous visit). I find the prices to be quite reasonable for the big portions. I really enjoy sitting in the outside dining area where I can watch the many people wandering the streets of Canal Park.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Flew to Duluth today with my friend John in a beautiful deHavilland BEAVER seaplane (check it out at beaverairtours.com). After a great flight and lots of Fall color popping in the bright sun, we were ready for a good lunch!

Tried Gramma's, but the tour bus had beat us in and the wait was WAAAY too long, so we went with the 'tried-n-true' ((and John's FAVE: Famous Dave's). No bus, no wait to get seated. Good.

John went with the Cajun Chicken sandwich - a whopper of a thing with melted cheese, fried onion strings and a great sauce on top of a really big chicken breast. It looked great; and tasted even better he said. (One sad note: Baby Backs are no longer available; that was his first choice.... mmmm, hard for me to imagine a rib joint without them, but oh well)

I had the house-smoked salmon spread with pita bread (on the appetizer menu) as an entree, along with an icy cold beer. The pita was a bit too toasty on the edge, but the spread was great... and even better, in my opinion, with the spicy pickles that Famous Dave dishes up. My friend volunteered his, and I convinced our friendly waitress to bring me a few more.

Decor is tailored to the Duluth Harbor area, and very nicely done. Wait staff and Maitre d' were both great. Definite re-do next time I'm in the area....and I'M going for the Cajun Chicken!!! b.

Goo

1  Thank BobW75087

Been to Famous Dave's Barbeque? Share your experiences!