“Each dish is a culinary success!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of New Scenic Cafe

New Scenic Cafe
Ranked #2 of 254 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
McAllen, Texas
“Each dish is a culinary success!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Lunch (& dinner because the 4 of us were so full!) at New Scenic Cafe along the North Shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors. A cozy building nestled behind a gorgeous garden; filled with herbs, vegetables and fragrant flowers. We started with seared halloumi cheese covered with berries, stone fruit, mint, basil and agave nectar. Shared the pickled beets, with goat cheese mousse, heirloom carrots, slivers of radishes, lemongrass, crushed pistachios in a very light vinaigrette. Shared the scrumptious baby kale salad with shaved Romano cheese, candied pepitas, pine nuts in a very light meyer lemon vinaigrette. Also had the tuna tacos and the asparagus & egg sandwich on ciabatta with gruyere, and frisée lemon basil aioli.
Highly recommend, best, fresh, organic vegetables anywhere! Served local foods with an artisan's expressive flair in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. Each dish was a culinary success!

Louisville, Kentucky
“Very good food, excellent desserts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I had a very good dinner at New Scenic Cafe last week with some family members who live in the area. We were there on a Wednesday evening, when wine is 1/2 price. We had a reservation, which was good since they were very busy. It was a lovely evening, and when we arrived, we spent some time outside marveling at the great view of Lake Superior. I was recently given a copy of the proprietor/Chef's new cookbook, so I had in mind a few dishes to try after reading the cookbook. I was impressed with the farm to table concept and sourcing local ingredients as much as possible. The fig and blue cheese appetizer was a taste delight. Five of us shared the appetizer, enough for a good taste for all. The pistachio crusted goat cheese salad was very good, and also a portion large enough for two to share, with the rest of us getting a taste. The beet salad was very good, but a very small portion, enough for two of us to get a taste. My husband, who is a vegetarian, ordered a tempeh Reuben and the hearty portion, great flavor made him a happy camper. I ordered a smoked salmon entree, which was very good, but also on the lighter side. Others in our group ordered pork and steak entrees and were delighted with their dinners. We all ordered different desserts and shared tastes. Each and every one was excellent. Overall, a very good dining experience in a lovely setting. Worth the splurge, since it is a bit pricey.

Woodbury, Minnesota
“Some interesting contradictions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I celebrated our Anniversary at the New Scenic Cafe. The wonderful thing about the restaurant was, of course, the food. I had the beef tenderloin and my wife had the Sea Bass (the special for the day). My beef was cooked perfectly (medium rare). Not only is the food great, it is also creative in presentation and the combination of ingredients to accompany the entree. Many of the accompaniments were things i would have never thought of (e.g., cashew moose and mole with the beef).

The only negative was part of the image when we were seated. On the table were menus and wine list. All three were stained with food from other customers. I also noticed there were a few chairs that needed new upholstery.

Pine Island, Minnesota
“Always great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We always get here when we visit. Great staff, fantastic food. The décor is cozy, nothing special - and the tables are close, which is fun - as chefs we like to listen to what everyone has to say. The service during lunch (August 2013) wasn't as up to par as we are used to as far as knowledge, but, again, as restaurateurs we wholeheartedly understand that some servers are stronger than others. Still great. Looking forward to coming back in September 2014 and hope to find that pate appetizer with the lingonberries again like we had 2 years ago - phenomenal. So was the apple pie! I recommend this place to everyone and I always get kudos back from them, too.

Visited September 2013
“Wednesday 1/2 price wine but call ahead”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went on Wednesday with a co-worker, it was packed 30 minutes for a table. We ended up getting it to to. Went outside because the view and night were so nice. I highly recommend the Tuna Tacos.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jimbo S

Been to New Scenic Cafe? Share your experiences!