“Could have been better!”
Review of New Scenic Cafe

New Scenic Cafe
Ranked #5 of 267 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My husband I look forward to our lunch at the New Scenic Cafe when traveling to Grand Marais. It has always been one of the highlights of our once a year vacation. Each year, the food has been great. This year, I ordered the "special". It was grouper on toasted ciabatta (I think). The grouper was very good....but I thought the cost of $38.06 was too high for this lunch (no drinks, only water; our bill includes tip). The grouper came with "chips"--which were basically Tator Tots! Again, they were adequate...but I was really expecting more.

I'm sad just thinking that I may not come back next year!

3  Thank LillithStillwater_MN

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great ambiance, great wine. There is new menu and I am trying to work my way through it. I just had the grouper special last night for dinner and WOW! It was amazing. Can't wait to go back!!!

1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 26 August 2014

It was such a pleasure to dine at New Scenic Cafe. From start to finish, the service and food was one of the best dining experiences.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were on our way back down from a trip up to Grand Marais and had found this restaurant on Tripadvisor so decided to give it a go. It all started really well - our glasses of wine were really nice and the starter we chose to share (tacos with tuna and avocado) was substantial and delicious. It was when our entrees arrived that it all went wrong. My wife ordered a scallop dish and when it came it looked like a small appetiser - but it really was the entrée. I chose the ribeye "special" which sounded wonderful with fois gras butter and a glaze and nice veggies. The steak was tasteless and tough, the white asparagus looked and tasted like string. What an awful disappointment. We should have sent them back but decided to just cut our losses and go. Having checked other reviews it seems that their "specials" have been the same for years. A bad case of style over substance I'm afraid.

1  Thank pacuthbertson
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Lunch (& dinner because the 4 of us were so full!) at New Scenic Cafe along the North Shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors. A cozy building nestled behind a gorgeous garden; filled with herbs, vegetables and fragrant flowers. We started with seared halloumi cheese covered with berries, stone fruit, mint, basil and agave nectar. Shared the pickled beets, with goat cheese mousse, heirloom carrots, slivers of radishes, lemongrass, crushed pistachios in a very light vinaigrette. Shared the scrumptious baby kale salad with shaved Romano cheese, candied pepitas, pine nuts in a very light meyer lemon vinaigrette. Also had the tuna tacos and the asparagus & egg sandwich on ciabatta with gruyere, and frisée lemon basil aioli.
Highly recommend, best, fresh, organic vegetables anywhere! Served local foods with an artisan's expressive flair in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. Each dish was a culinary success!

Been to New Scenic Cafe? Share your experiences!