“Know Before You Go”

Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I always try to balance my reviews between the good and the not as good, so first, the good.

The location is conveniently located in downtown Duluth. There are many restaurants nearby along with some of the more touristy things to do in Duluth.

The room was clean and the bathroom large, though the bathroom has these odd French doors with an opening where they come together which doesn't provide a lot of privacy. We had a room on the lakeside which provided a nice view of Lake Superior and the lift bridge.

The linens were nice and the bed and pillows comfortable.

Now, the not so good. Be prepared for a hike from the parking ramp to the hotel. Lots of elevators, skywalks and hallways to maneuver. Each time you leave you need to have your parking ticket validated. A hassle when there was a line at the front desk.

There are no drawers in the room-this is irritating but my son and I made due.

Though housekeeping kept our room clean we were constantly having to leave notes for items they needed to restock. The last night we were close to running out of toilet paper and the coffee had not been restocked. I called the front desk and they said I could come down to pick the items up - no apology for the inconvenience or offer to have someone bring these items to the room.

This is, by far, the noisiest hotel I have stayed in my entire life. Each time someone down the hall left the room the doors slammed with such a noise the whole room shook. I stayed there five nights and each morning was awakened to such noise-most mornings this began at 5:00 am. Even those considerate folks who tried to ease their door shut could not prevent it from making a loud noise.

On Sunday morning I overheard the manager on duty being short and rude with guests. This is unnecessary and inexcusable under any circumstance.

Suffice it to say I would never stay at this hotel again should I find myself back in Duluth, nor can I recommend it to others.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Doreen M
Doug B, General Manager at Sheraton Duluth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Doreen M,
Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

I am glad that you found our location convenient, and the accommodations clean and comfortable. As for the noise and level of service you encountered, I do apologize for your experience. I will certainly review the overall performance of our service to ensure we are able to provide the best service possible moving forward.

Since you have mentioned a number of other items in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail to learn how you feel we could improve our overall services. You can reach me at 218-336-2719. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Very nice hotel.. Very clean and the staff is very friendly and informative. Locaction is convienient to many local restaurants (well within walking distance). View of the lake is very impressive. The ghotel has a very good bar and restaurant with food pricing in a lower than average hotel range. A lot of local product is offered. The smoked lake whitefish is not to be missed. Happy hour appetizers and beer and wine. There is also a "Skywalk" that connects to buildings and areas all over the downtown. Highly recommended very moderately priced full service hotel in a D/T area.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear fradel61,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself! We feel fortunate to be located in such a beautiful spot, and I am glad you took the time to explore while you were in Duluth.
I am excited to share your comments with our staff, they work hard to provide great service and it is fun to celebrate their success. Our Executive Chef, Kevin Ilenda, will be happy to hear you specifically enjoyed his whitefish as it is a personal favorite of his as well.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience here. We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit do Duluth.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Duluth Sheraton on a Saturday evening in March due to the location in Downtown Duluth and being billed as "Dog Friendly". The room was by far more expensive than any other room in town, but we believed it to be worth it due to being dog friendly and offering amenities such as dog bowls and dog bed.

We requested a room away from the elevator to avoid voices and loud noises disturbing our very tired pup. The staff placed us on the "dog floor" directly across from the ice machine inside the hotel and the bus stop outside the hotel. Despite our requests for a quite room, we were placed in one of the loudest.

We briefly left our room with our 9lb pup safely kenneled and quickly received a call from the front desk that our dog was barking and was not to be left alone at any time while we were staying at the hotel (barking was unconfirmed as we returned to a sleeping dog). The front desk staff then made us complete a dog waiver, and treated us poorly even though they did not explain at check in nor did the hotel website detail that we were "never to leave the dog unattended".
None of the dog friendly amenities, or niceties were extended to us during our stay. I would not recomend this hotel when traveling with your pet.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ionx

Dear Ionx,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel, I appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet, nor exceed your expectations.
We strive to provide a warm and comfortable stay for all of our guests, human and canine alike. It is regrettable that you did not receive your preferred room placement in the hotel, and that you did not receive your pet's amenities.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly at 218-336-2719, if you would like to discuss your experience further.
Thank you again for your comments, I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back during your next visit to Duluth.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2014

A quick overnight business trip to Duluth. First time staying at this property.

Reasonable rate. Excellent accommodations. Friendly staff who helped me navigate to the hotel from the airport when my GPS wasn't properly functioning. Appreciated the Starwood Club floor and the warm and inviting 6th Floor Club Room, which had an adequate complimentary continental breakfast selection. The short duration of my visit did not allow for utilizing any other onsite amenities such as fitness center or restaurant, so cannot comment or rate those.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We went as a last minute trip which we booked while in the USA Beautiful and clean room with good view from the front staff very welcoming bar area very comfortable and restaurant enjoyable but pool area could have do with a little more tlc

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Old dated rooms, untrained staff, no hot water in the room and a surprise "security deposit" charge of $300 on your visa when you get home. To make it worse, when you call to question the "surprise" charge that they never mentioned at check in, you get a person trying to explain it away that the bank decides how much to take????? To be fair, they did move us because they had no hot water in the room,but what a pain to pack up and move after you are all settled and trying to get to a dinner reservation. And, we had to move ourselves....

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GordW1234
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is my favorite hotel in Duluth. Rooms are clean and updated. I also really like the area downtown for this hotel. Many good eating and drinking establishments within walking distance. I like it much better than the canal park area which also has many hotels. The health club is very nice and well maintained. Lobby bar and restaurant are very good as well.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends