“Hard to Fault This Motel”
Review of Canal Park Lodge

Canal Park Lodge
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Try as I might, I can't thing of anything negative about Canal Park Lodge. The first-floor lounge is large and luxurious, with a great view of Lake Superior and an outdoor patio. My room was large, also with a lake view (great for sunrise- and storm-- watching. Front desk was efficient and courteous. There is a pool--a warning to those who dislike screaming children--but is removed from main part of the building. An excellent and fairy new addition to Duluth's Canal Park waterfront!
As a 10-year resident of the area, I'll offer two cautions: (1) This is not cheap in any season. There are many quite adequate downtown motels @ $80-100 per night. Balcony suites in the summer are great but at New York-style prices. (2) Canal Park traffic in the summer is just awful. Unless you plan to visit local state parks, don't drive; Rental bikes are available, and the local transit system offers frequent shuttle buses.

Room Tip: Lakeview and balconies are available. Third floor for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Canal Park Lodge

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here during a busy festival in the harbor, and were impressed with the customer service of the hotel while it was full. The benefits of Canal Park Lodge include: the lake view room, which did have a lovely view; access to the lake walk path right outside the hotel; the evening cash bar in the lobby each evening; and the easy walking distance to not only the superb brewery next door, but also a variety of restaurants blocks away. The only cons that I can think of are that the wifi was very poor during times of high traffic, and the room was kind of small, but that was a minor inconvenience. The hotel lobby was quite nice, as was the lounge and patio area. We would stay here again in the future.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Canal Park Lodge is very convenient for us when we want to arrange for a short weekend stay on the North Shore without driving too far up. Accommodations again were very clean, the Lodge provides an ample breakfast with a host of good choices, and the walkway along the lake is very convenient to several good restaurants in the old Fitger's Brewery. I also love the open seating areas in both the front entry side and lakeside for guests to relax, read, or visit with one another. Reasonably priced cocktails are also available with a free appetizer each dinner hour, which is also a nice perk.

Room Tip: *There is no restaurant in the Lodge, and I couldn't uncheck that line.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a great property on the edge of Lake Superior, we arrived in a snow storm and the service counter personal were very friendly and accommodating. The rate was excellent for a Thursday night. We got a lake view which was beautiful. The room had comfortable pillows and a good matteress. The furniture was nice and the water pressure was good in the shower. One thing that really bothered me was the smell. It smelled like sweat. We asked for another room and the staff were excellent and gave me another room right away. To my surprise the smell was the same. We stayed in the second room. It may be some kind of cleaner that they are using.

The breakfast was good pancakes, toast, an assortment of pastries, ceral, eggs, and breakfast sauage.

Overall a beautiful property, great price, but need to revisit the cleaning.

Room Tip: get a lake view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel all the time when we come down to Duluth. Last weekend, which will probably be our last weekend to stay there, The room overall was clean, except when I went to have my shower. There was long dark hair STUCK to the ceramic tile on the wall!!!! I called down to the front desk and was given the attitude of " what do you want me to? Do you want me come and wipe it off?" I found this kind of rude, told him I did it, but he needed let the manager know. On our last day there at breakfast, my husband found a hair in his eggs. That was the last straw. When checking out, I told the girl about the issues and that I want a call from the manager to discuss this. I haven't anything. Lots of other beautiful hotels in Canal Park to choose from.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brenda p
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Canal Park Lodge is a great place to stay in Duluth. Great breakfast very morning and a cash bar at night. Close to many great places to eat and shop. Extremely nice rooms, clean, friendly staff, and great views of the lake if you get a lake view room! Would recommend to all!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our family stayed here for the weekend and had a great time. We had dinner at the brewery next door, it was very good and nice and close to walk after a couple of beer. The hotel has very comfy beds and pillows. It has a great hot breakfast and caribou coffee. There is a cash bar in the lobby at night, which is nice to sit and have a drink on the comfy couch in the lobby. We will return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family