“My wife and I and two dogs stayed here”

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I and our two dogs stayed here. It is a very nice place and even though it is a bit expensive, we loved it. The motel is clean and right in the middle of Canal Park. We would certainly stay again. Our dogs loved it and we were able to make them feel as though they were welcome. We also noticed other dogs and we loved it.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a pet, ask for a room close to an elevator
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thanks for commenting on our stay! We are pet friendly and enjoy meeting your four legged friends!

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I checked in on Sunday and stayed through Thursday. The location was perfect - within walking distance of practically everything. Didn't get in my car again until Tuesday to go to Glensheen. My room was a king suite with no windows - a little disconcerting when you get up in the morning. I had a full size fridge and a two-top stove with dishwasher, which I ended up not using. Good size bath and closet. Comfortable bed and not a lot of noise coming from outside the room. Pool area was also very nice. Noticed that this place is dog friendly, as every other person I saw seemed to have one (or even two). I had a good rate of $80 a night, plus a free drink at the Timberlodge next door every night. Breakfast was decent - you actually get hot food like eggs and waffles, not just cereal and bagels. I had no problems with the front desk staff - they were pleasant and accomodating. My only gripe is that the maid staff could have been better. I had dirty ashtrays, unemptied garbage and an unmade bed - must have been an off day. Other than that, I can recommend this as a good place to stay if you want to spend time in downtown Duluth.

Room Tip: Get one with windows - it's a little weird waking up in the dark at 8 am.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BluegirlMinneapolis

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We receive a lot of great comments about our breakfast buffet and we're glad you enjoyed it! Thanks again!

Reviewed 11 October 2011

The hotel was clean, the rooms were unique with the architecture, kitchenettes, small refrigerator, etc. The bathroom was clean and the bed - OMG was so comfortable! Totally would stay here again and again! Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your experience! And you a right about the beds...they are awesome!

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Along with about 5 other parties, we were unable to check in on time. We were told that our room would be ready in about "5-10" minutes. We stood next to the desk so they could just get us when they were ready. 45 minutes later, we had to return to the clerk to ask him if they were ready for us. They were, but hadnt bothered to mention that to us. They said they would refund us $20 for our late check in, which we appreciated. The next morning when we looked at the invoice under our door, it did not reflect the discount we were told we would receive, classy. We then had to call the front desk to get that adjusted and asked them if they could please bring up the new invoice. They said they couldnt. Asking to get a correct invoice delivered to our room was too much of a hassle. After audible displeasure from us, they said they could bring it up, but probably not for at least another hour. Later, I noticed that my credit card reflected a $176 charge.. far over the $116 invoice we had received for the second time. I called to get this straightened out.. I spoke to a manager who could not tell me where this $176 charge came from, but was very patronizing as he spoke to me about "how debit cards work." -- I understand an extra charge for incidentals, but $60 seems extreme. The rooms are dingy, but okay if you're not planning on staying in them too much of the time.. its the awful service that really brings this hotel to a new low.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank julie R
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Thank you for your candid review. We always work hard to correct our short comings when a guest experience is not up to their expectations, it's the only way to continue to give great customer service to you, our guests. We take this to heart and give it our all everyday. Thank you again and keep the reviews coming.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Great location in a fun zone. Very good use of an old structure. Entryways have No ramps ,not so handicap friendly.

Room Tip: 4th floor ok for smokers-if thats what you want?
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Good hotel in a cool old building in a great location in Canal Park in Duluth. The carpeting and stuff was showing its age a bit, but it was clean and convenient. The suites are great options for kids, so you can have a separate bedroom. The pool area had a full-size pool, as well as a small one for young kids as well as a hot-tub. Breakfast was excellent, including freshly cooked Belgian waffles.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The staff went beyond to help us on Labor Day weekend. Huge rooms, kind of over priced.

• Stayed: September 2011