“Nice stay but in serious need of management training”

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We have stayed at the Suites at least once a year for the past 9 years. Let me first start off by saying that this place is great. It's not fancy (keep in mind it's an old warehouse), but it suits our needs. For the price point, I think this hotel offers more than its competitors in Canal Park because of its large rooms and full service kitchen. I have young kids and didn't have to worry about them running in the room and disturbing other guests because this place is built like a castle. The kids loved the pool, breakfast was good, and the housekeeping staff was friendly.

Now for the bad stuff:

Every time I have stayed here, I have had to walk though clouds of cigarette smoke being emitted by the housekeeping staff near the doors in the rear of the building. This is very unprofessional and MANAGEMENT needs to accomodate thier employees better to class the place up a little. As I said before, the stay was great...until checkout. Several years ago I enrolled in thier frequent stay program and had completed 8/10 nights required to get a free night. I stayed two nights on this trip and presented my card at checkout to finish the card. The employee seemed bewildered by the card and asked the manager to come up. The manager simply said "sorry, we don't do this program anymore." I was stunned and told her that they should still honor my free night and she became quite offended that I would say such a thing. All she said is sorry and then proceeded to verbally reprimand her employee right in front of me for entering a wrong employee number in the computer - unrelated to my checkout. I was baffled at the unprofessional attitute this "manager" displayed not only to me, but her employee. The bottom line is that I'm getting a $50 gift card (still not comparable to the one night free stay). I can tell you that I very suprised at the level of service I received. This is not the service I am accustomed to at this hotel and hope upper managment sees to it that thier managers (or maybe just one in this case) get some professional development in order to create a better experience for its guests and employees.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a window as some rooms don't have them.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you being a loyal customer and glad you enjoyed your stay. We always learn from these comments and take what we learn to improve when we fall short, so thank you again and please accept our apologies.
The Suite Rewards program was started 2 years ago to replace the previous reward system for frequent guests. The new Suite Rewards is much more versatile, you earn rewards quicker and with fewer restrictions. It's very well received, with new members everyday!

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at the Suites in May on a whim for lack of a cheaper place to stay in Canal Park. The location and parking was awesome. Perhaps the easiest we've had checking in to a hotel. It took a few extra minutes to check in because the desk crew wasn't firing on all cylinders that day. They watched me walk in with my wife and luggage, stop in line, and my wife excused herself to the restroom. Their eyes glanced at me a few times and after a few minutes "oh, I didn't notice you there..." That's nice, but I'm a 6'2 Nebraska boy...there is no missing me! Regardless, we got checked in, and made out way to our room. The room itself was decent and had a very nice view of the S.S. William A. Irvin. Pretty comfy overall.

The biggest debacle was the internet. We needed to have connectivity to plan out next night, book hotels, etc, but up until about midnight, the internet wasn't working, and nobody at the front desk seemed to have a clue...I tried the wi-fi, a cat-5 cable, and nothing worked. Suffice to say, it kind of put a damper on the night.

If we return to Duluth, we probably will not stay at the Suites.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisandJen18
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The suites are large and quite unique, the bedroom is like a SoHo loft. The property overall has a pretty amazing history in itself, a converted factory. The continental breakfast was good, lots of variety. If I return to Duluth this is where I'll stay. Quite pleased!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a suite with a window, better yet a window and a small balcony that overlooks the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Jo Anne K
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. We really appreciate all comments, knowing what our guests think just makes us better.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

The hotel is pretty good and is in an excellent location. I'cd stayed there two times. The first time was fine and our room was very nice. The hotel did have a little stench though. The second time, we stayed with some friends. When we got there, they were still in the lobby and told us the had been waiting 30+ minutes because they lost the reservation and when they found it, it was under the wrong name. Then they told them the room was not clean yet even though it was like 3:20pm. We got into the room eventually and I still smelt something funny but is wasn't as strong. Overall the hotel is ok and I would probably recommend staying there.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jeff897
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Thank you for writing! We appreciate your comments and strive to give you a great guest experience every time you stay. We always do our best to accommodate early check-ins before 4:00 and we apologize for the mix up on the name. Thanks again!

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We rented three inside rooms for three nights in August. The rooms were clean and the location is perfect for walking to the Canal Park activities (within 2 blocks) and the Harbor activities (about 1/2 mile). We were traveling with young children and the large room size and kitchenettes in each room made that a breeze. The rooms have full sized fridges, dishwashers, microwaves and cooktops along with dishes to make eating lunch or a simple dinner easy. The pool was a nice break at the end of the day for the kids.

Room Tip: Note that the inside rooms have no windows, so if you are looking for a view or need a window, book...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Minnesota42
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for your review! We do have a large variety of room types available, with our studios being very popular with our value minded guests who want to experience Canal Park and not break the bank. The kitchenettes can help with the food bill too! Thanks again.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

The Suites has large suites and is located in the Canal Parks area within walking distance to many popular bars and restaurants. The rooms have kitchens and the bedrooms are spacious. The buffet breakfast is above average as well.
The rooms tend to be located away from the elevators and the elevators are very slow and can become crowded. Parking behind the hotel is limited or can be found across the street.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Tom S, Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thank you for writing about your stay at The Suites Hotel. Our location is very unique with Canal Park and downtown Duluth all in walking distance. Thanks again!

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Overall, the hotel was very nice. It is located in Canal Park in a very old building but has been completely remodeled. There are many amenities such as free parking, warm pool and hot tub, decent sized wrokout area, above average continental breakfast and great location. The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond to help us. The room I stayed in (a two queen suite) was unique as it had two doors on opposite sides of the room but no windows. This was odd but for one night not having a window was ok. It was very nice to sleep in the room becasue no window means no outside lights and a dark room. The room had a kitchenette and was comparatively large. It had been updated and was clean but it was a little outdated. The beds were decent. The price of the room was about half of what similar rooms would be in other hotels on canal park and this one had better amenities. Not having a window in the room was worth saving over $100 for one night. How much time is really spent in the room during the day when visiting Duluth? There are other more expensive rooms in the building that have windows however. Overall great experience and will return the next time I visit Duluth.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! Our Studio Suites are distinctive in their location within the building and a very good value! We hope to see you again soon!