“Interesting room, great location”

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We decided to spend a Sunday night in Duluth, but because it was Bayfront Blues Fest rooms were scarce. Most motels were full, but we got one of two open at the Suites. It was nice that the booking agent was sure to point out that the room had no windows. Despite no window, the room had lots of character with exposed overhead pipes and a column in the middle of the room. The room was clean and huge. The location was great, as we walked to Bayfront Park and all over the Canal Park area. The hotel was old and interesting, but in need of some updates - wall by elevators was painted 2 different colors, breakfast area. The complimentary breakfast was ok, but ended promptly at 9:30am - and I mean promptly...they took away everything, despite people still in area, and I saw numerous people come looking for food to ind nothing, not even coffee or juice. The coffee was blah and the dispensers always seemed to be empty - I heard a couple of people complain about the coffee and state that they would go across the street to Caribou Coffee to get some real coffee.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review!

There are newer reviews for The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

Reviewed 12 August 2013

You have to accept the premise that this used to be a warehouse, built 150 years ago. But what a great place! Fun, great location, delux experience, massive rooms. 4 star amenities, just where you want to be if you are visiting Duluth. Free parking, walking distance to a large selection of restaurants, some of which you do not even have to leave the building for. Kitchenette very nice, full breakfast even nicer. Safe, quiet, extremely comfortable beds. Do not avoid one of the "inner rooms without windows" they are very large, well appointed, quiet, with two entrances. Not the least bit clostrophobic. This is a fun fun experience so long as you are not expecting a brand new hotel. Great downtown atmosphere!

Room Tip: Save some money and get one of the inner "windowless" rooms. You won't be disappoint...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard F

Thank you!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

When I started looking for a place to stay for a last minute girls' trip all the waterfront hotels where I usually stay in Canal Park were booked. I was leery of The Suites because of some of the previous reviews - but since this was the only hotel in Canal Park with rooms available, I took a chance and booked a 2 BR/2 BA suite. And I'm very happy I did - because it was a fabulous stay! The location is great - the suite was huge - the beds were incredibly comfortable - and the entire suite was very clean. (And all 4 of us are nurses - so we know clean!) Plus the exposed brick, huge wooden beams/timbers and high ceilings made for a nice warehouse/loft feel. And the best thing was that we paid less for our huge suite then we would have paid for a standard hotel room at a lakefront hotel! Plus I think I actually slept better here because the walls are so thick - and it's not right next to the bridge - so you don't hear the bridge horn going off all thr time.We weren't able to check in early, but they gave us the parking permits for our vehicles early so we just left our stuff in the cars and went out and enjoyed our day until check in time. The breakfast buffet was a nice surprise too - eggs, potatoes, sausage, waffles, cereal, fruit, fresh pastries and drinks. Our suite had a fireplace and whirlpool but we didn't get to use either of those - and we didn't use the public pool either - so I can't comment on any of those things. But based on the experience we had, I will definitely be back to The Suites again - and this time it will be the first hotel I try to book!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to check on room availability. Because despite their website saying they we...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Most hotels reward frequent guests, however our 3rd stay here, we were not so fortunate. Our mid week, one night stay was going well until about 7:30pm, when load bangs started to occur about every 10-15 minutes. A long story short, we were rewarded for our 3rd stay with a room next to the service elevator. It took until 10 am to short out the issue, and by then our evening was ruined. So I have now learned to ask, when we arrive at any front desk, exactly what is next to us. If you see a small hallway with no rooms, but a big door, check to see what is behind it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Your comments are appreciated!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel definitely has character. The front desk is friendly and helpful. The hallways to the room have a warehouse type feel. The hotel used to be a part of the Homewood Suites chain. It appears that the rooms have not been updated since then. The sheets had visible stains and mildew stains on them. The door frame had cobwebs. The room was otherwise clean. The pool water was fairly warm.

The hotel is attached to the Timber Lodge which is an excellent restaurant similar to Outback. The hotel issues two free drink coupons for happy hour at the Timber Lodge. There are no free snacks or appetizers with the happy hour, but there is a buy 1/get 1 coupon for appetizers.

The price was good value for Canal Park.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past but when I returned in June, 2013 with 2 friends, I slipped and fell in the tub. I am well aware of the conditions of tubs and that they can be slippery but after I fell I went to the front desk to get directions to the emergency room and while there the manager came out to fill out and incident report. He had no sympathy or compasion for my situation. He just completed the form, stated that the hotel did not handle "these incidents" and that he would send the form to the insurance company and they would handle it. I then returned a few hours later after my ER visit and while checking out, the manager was 4 feet from me behind the desk and didn't even acknowledge that I was there. I am very upset with the hotel's handling of this. They have my phone number and I have not heard from them. I never got a how are you? Is everything okay? Nothing. Not even a small discount on our room.

The hotel is nice and the front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. Would I stay there again? Absolutety not. And 90% of the reason is due to how I was treated by the manager.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gale F
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I want to preface this post by saying--it's been 2 1/2 years since we last stayed in this hotel. It could be under new management and the rooms could have been upgraded since we stayed there.

We went on a trip to the Duluth area and stayed in this hotel (me, husband, two children). The rooms were "ok"--spacious enough but felt very dark. When we checked out of the hotel and were traveling to our next destination (further north) my son realized he had forgotten his Nintendo DS in the room so I immediately called the hotel to alert the staff. We called again the next day to make arrangements to pick it up on our way home and they indicated that they hadn't found it. I left my phone number to have them call me when they did. At this point, I figured the DS was a loss and that someone had decided to keep it.

A few days after we got home, the hotel called and said they had found his DS. They described his to me (it was bright blue) and I was so happy (and impressed) that their staff had been so honest. We made arrangements for them to mail the DS to me.

Well, it's been 2 1/2 years and the mail service isn't THAT slow. I suspect that someone else decided to keep the DS. When I called back and spoke with them, they didn't seem to know and/or care what I was talking about.

I'm traveling to Duluth again on business in October, and will not be staying at this hotel. I just felt like it was poor service that when I called to inquire about why it hadn't arrived in the mail, they didn't offer any consolation.

My ownership in this is that I didn't write down who I was talking to every time I called. That way, maybe they would have felt they owed me a little more accountability.

Bottom line--the hotel rooms (that we had) were dark and "ok"--there are way better options in beautiful Canal Park--and we ended up with an "extra expensive" stay with the loss of my son's game.

Ah! I feel so much better:)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for writing. I realize your stay was 21/2 years ago so I can't speak to your situation, but I can say we work everyday to improve how we operate and take care of our guests. We do sincerely apologize for your past experience. Thank you again