“Nice hotel, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Suites Hotel in Canal Park

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Ontario
“Nice hotel, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel at the end of May. It's in a great location - right in the heart of Canal Park with many restaurants and activities near by. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The hotel is clean, and the suites are spacious. The living room/kitchen area of the suite was very dark as there was not natural light. The inner rooms do not have windows, which I would imagine the rooms to be quite dark. Breakfast is included, which was a typical hotel buffet breakfast. Great Canadian rates!

Room Tip: The inner rooms do not have windows. Avoid!
1 Thank Dina T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you are unaware, Duluth's charming Canal Park is a shopping and dining mecca on the waterfront. The Suites hotel is a very large old hardware building from the turn of the last century. The rooms were remodeled last about 15 or so years ago so they are not super up to date but they have kitchenettes in them which I find massively useful if only for breakfast and drinks. The location is right in the center of everything.

I have learned that there is a wide variety of rooms, some of which have no windows because they are interior spaces. The best views are on the bay side, not the Duluth side, but both are charming. I find the price very reasonable and service has always been great. I can recommend this for many uses: romantic, family, business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay side room above the 4th floor for best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shakopee, Mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the motel over Memorial Day weekend with one other couple. We rented a suite with 2 bedrooms, which was a wonderful decision!

The room had a full-size kitchen with full-size appliances, a whirlpool, 2 full bathrooms (3/4 off master bedroom), and a fireplace. The room was immaculate.

The motel was quiet, and is in a perfect location for exploring the Canal Park area. The restaurants and shops are very interesting and enjoyable in the area. But, they close early, between 5 and 6 on Sundays.

We had some very loud neighbors, and the security was right on top of it. There were a couple of minor things wrong in the room, and maintenance responded and took care of everything within minutes. Absolutely unbelievable customer service.

The only thing to be aware of is that the parking lot if across the street, which can be busy at times, but they have an attendant during peak times. There is a place in the back of the motel where you can pull up to load and unload, but parking is on the other side. To bring things up, to the hotel, there are steps.

This was an exceptionally perfect stay, and look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: We were in room 1311, I believe, which is the only room that had a balcony. The balcony was actuall...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a quick business trip. We arrived at ~6pm and had a pretty speedy check in. I had already been warned by my co-worker to get a suite because apparently some rooms don't have windows. Thanks for that tip! When I got off of the 4th floor, there was a strange odor, but I ignored it as I was so interested in the surroundings, they had made the hallways and pillars resemble a large ship. It was pretty dim, but I think that was the idea.... When I got to my room, the smell increased. I think it was smoke as in someone had smoked in the room at some point, a lot!. It was VERY strong, but it was not as strong in the bedroom, luckily. The sheets and bedding smelled fine. To me this is a very simple thing that was overlooked by the staff. There is no way they didn't smell it.

They offer a free appetizer at the Timber Lodge that is attached, and check out was quick and simple. However, I wasn't asked how my stay was, likely because I had interrupted a coworker conversation. There was also a free hot breakfast.

I didn't get to enjoy all of the amenities as it was a short trip, so I still gave a rating of 3, even though I was disappointed.

Room Tip: I do not know this first hand, but apparently there are rooms without windows.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Once again The Suites hotel in canal park outdid themselves again. Every time we stay there it's better tan the last. Tom Simonson and his staff treated us like royalty! The continental breakfast they serve is 2nd to non with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuit's and gravy, waffles and everything else under the sun saves us a lot of money.
We will see you again in September!

1 Thank brad s
North Branch, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were at this hotel for a dance competition recently. The rooms were fine and acceptable, but there was a major problem with billing. Upon check-in, after they swiped my card, I was asked to sign the receipt. It is a good thing I am particular because I noticed they charged me for someone else's room for nearly 500 dollars. They said they reversed the charges. However the funds have still been held from my credit card a week later. No body at the hotel will admit the problem and they certainly are not willing to help correct the matter. They are not apologetic. American Express thankfully is looking out for me, however I have spent a great deal of time on the phone to fix their problem. I cannot recommend anyone staying at this hotel unless you have the time to fight them to recoup fraud charges. It would be a more palatable if they were at least apologetic and had done something to regain us as customers. We travel a great deal and have had mistakes happen over the years, but never have we encounter a hotel so unwiling to help.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dylan T
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for writing. We always appreciate guest comments that help to make us better. We certainly do deeply apologize for the confusion of the billing of this card. I just wanted to clarify there was never a charge for another guests room on this card. There was, due to a computer issue, an authorization that I was able to take care of with AX with-in an hour of being made aware that a reversal of that authorization was required. This was a one time glitch that we didn't believe will happen again, and feel really bad for the inconvenience it caused.
Thank you again.

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the Suites Hotel in Canal Park in May 2014. The reason I rated it average is because there were so many cons, but the few pros were very nice pros. Let's start with the Cons:
1. VERY NOISY--there was a dance competition that weekend and the hotel was booked (which is what they told me when I asked to upgrade our room). LOTS of kids running up and down the hall at all hours of the night. We went to bed around 10pm and woke up constantly through 3am from people talking. We had an interior suite and the walls were obviously paper thin. I dont see how they can get off charging $100+ per night for a room where you cant sleep.
2. Interior rooms were suffocating. Very dark with horrible flourescent lighting. They did throw in a few lamps but still very dark, dreary atmosphere. The TV's are positioned awkwardly throughout the suite and to put a bed, with the headboard against the paper thin walls to a hallway was just stupidity.
3. Our middle door between our 'bedroom' and kitchen/living area had locked on it's own, locking my 2 year-old daughter and myself in the living area, with our room keys and phones on the other side of the suite. They did promptly come up to unlock the door, but then I found out the door was locking on it's own and nothing we had done besides shutting the door.
Now for the Pro's:
1. parking is convenient--right across the street, and even though their lot filled up they did allow guests to park in their employee lot, directly behind the customer lot.
2. location is convenient, right in canal park.
3. hot breakfast--wasn't the greatest tasting but the price was right and it was edible.
I will most likely not return to this hotel because I really think there are better hotels out there with comparable pricing.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on an interior room, and ask if the room is near the elevator, because yo...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Amy G
Tom S, General Manager at The Suites Hotel in Canal Park, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your review. Sorry about the noise, the dance group did take much of the hotel and we did our best to keep them from running in the halls. Thanks again.