“Great time begining to end”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Andover, Minnesota
“Great time begining to end”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I tried to book a Tiki Hut Kid Suite online however none seemed available so I called the hotel. The employee I talked to not only found the room we wanted but was also able to give us the military discount which I hoped for but wasn't expecting since my husband is a veteran.

Our room was on the first floor at end of the hallway and our windows faced the outside pool. I was pleasantly surprised that I could barely hear any noise from outside our room whether it came from outside, the hallway or the room next door. The only downside to our room was that there was no table w/ four chairs (as shown in the pictures on the website) and the air conditioner was in the kids alcove which didn't cool down the rest of the room very well.

Overall we had a lot of fun at Edgewater! There was a lot to do and my kids never had a chance to get bored. I loved roasting marshmallows at sunset! I didn't see any graham crackers or chocolate but you can always bring your own. The only time the hotel felt crowded was at breakfast. The staff was always helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Tiki Hut Kid Suite has a lot of room however the kid's alcove is small.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear WallaBear,

First of all, thank you and your husband for your service to our country, we are very grateful. I'm sorry we didn't have the complete s'mores making menu available and offer my apologies. I will look into this and make whatever changes are necessary so this doesn't happen again. I'm glad you were generally happy with your stay and hope you will be our guest again.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have stayed at the Edge the past 5 years for my granddaughters birthday. I reserved our room a month in advanced. No one notified me the weekend we were to arrive that the outdoor pool, the lazy river, and the water slides were all closed for construction. Her favorite food is the macaroni and cheese pizza but was removed from the menu for a shrimp pizza (I highly doubt the kids love that). Also the breakfast used to be wonderful and they did away with that as well. The year before I was placed in a room near the outdoor speakers where I repeatedly called the front desk at 11 at night asking if it could be turned down as we could not sleep. That same year I was charged for 5 days instead of 3 and had to call multiple times to get a refund that I waited a week for. THE YEAR BEFORE THAT I reserved the tiki suite only to be told someone was already in it. I did not receive a refund nor was I placed in a room similar. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Repeatedly-rippedoff
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Repeatedly Rippedoff,

I am very sorry we have disappointed you in so many areas, on so many visits, and offer my sincerest apologies. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid input we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We would like the opportunity to retain your trust and hope you will contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com to discuss this further privately. I hope to hear from you soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We decided at the last minute to stay in Duluth for the night (Sunday night) and feel that we were lucky to get such a nice room at a great price.
We were in the older part of the motel and the room overlooked Lake Superior - pleasant surprise for a last minute reservation. The room has been updated and was very nice - nothing spectacular, but clean and comfortable..
The reservation staff and front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating at check in and check out.
We didn't use the waterpark, but it was huge and looked like it would have been fun. There was also an outdoor pool and mini golf course - all included in the price of the room - we found that amazing for Duluth in the summer!
The breakfast buffet had something that we have never seen - delicious breads - blueberry, poppy seed along with 2 others. Was a nice addition.
Would definitely stay there again while in Duluth. Close enough to attractions and a shuttle service is also offered for no fee.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lake Superior.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear NDminnesota,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review of our hotel. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and that we exceeded your expectations. We really appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.

Ramsey, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had a 4th floor balcony room with a view of Lake Superior. Awesome view!! You do have to overlook the highway and a couple of town homes, but it is still a gorgeous view. I would pick this room again! Balcony was a nice size too. The location of the hotel was less than 3 miles from Canal Park, and had restaurants within walking distance. Front desk staff was very friendly, breakfast staff was friendly as well. Continental breakfast was very good, lots of choices: cereal, toast, bagels, fresh cut fruit, fresh fruit, muffins, doughnuts, breads, yogurt, milk, juice, and coffee. I may have forgotten some, but there were plenty of options. My picky 5 year old enjoyed it! The pool area was fun, the outdoor area was a very nice option as well. Lots to do here! The arcade was a great size and kept my son entertained for a long time too. When we checked in we were informed that the little kid pool (zero depth entry area) was closed for repairs. We were disappointed as we had shown our 5 year old pictures of this and talked up how much fun it would be (since he's too small/scared to do the big water slides yet). It didn't open until the morning we were leaving, so we didn't get a chance to use it. We completely understand that this kind of stuff happens and we just played in the other pools and still had a great time! Because of this though, I did ask about a discount when I was checking out and without hesitation they gave me a good amount off my stay! I was very impressed by this customer service and never expected anything, I just thought that it never hurt to ask. Because of this outstanding customer service we will definitely be staying here again! Well that and the fact that we had a great time here!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms offer a great view, however, are located right next to the highway. We did hear highw...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Wendy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. I am sorry about the pool being out of order during your stay and really appreciate your understanding. We're very happy you like us and what we do here, and that you'll be coming back to stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very clean rooms with an option for a large room with a bunk bed that sleeps 6. The kids loved the waterpark, and the views of the lake were awesome. The hotel projects a movie outside by the pool after dark and also hosts a bonfire to roast marshmallows for the kids. The service was very good and our room was ready at 2:45 pm when we arrived in Duluth.

Estherville, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

When I made my reservations for this hotel 5 months prior to my stay they were running a special on their website that is you stayed 3 nights you save 30% on your stay. I could not find a room online that was right for my family so I called the toll free no. to make my reservations. She was very helpful and found us a room that was the right size. No where on the website did I see it say that the discount was only good for Sunday-Thursday. When I gave the night of my reservation she did not say we did not qualify for the discount (we stayed Friday-Sun). She even went as far as telling me the regular price vs. the discounted price for several rooms. I made the reservations for a window lakeview room with one queen, bunks and a pull out couch. She told me the room would be discounted after we fulfilled our 3 night stay. Okay, so August 2 when I go to check in, they tell me the price...I said, will that be discounted after we stay for the 3 nights. She said no, there was only a discount on Sunday and it was only a 10% discount. I said that is not what I was told on the phone when I made the reservation in April. She said that there is no discounts for Friday and Saturday night because they only offer specials Sun-Thurs. That is not at all what I was told. She went to speak with the manager and said that I could get a 10% discount on Fri/Sat but that was the best they could do. I was not happy with that. That is not what I was told on the phone. She went to get the manager and the female manager told me that they do not offer discounts on Fri/Sat and that was the best she could do. I made a remark about being punished because of an ill trained employee, her response was "##### worked here for 3 years, she would not have made a mistake as bad as this one" essentially saying that she did not believe a word that I was saying. She only gave me a 20% discount on Fri/Sat and my total was close to 75 dollars more than I was quoted on the phone. Other than that the room was fine, we were in the motel (old) section of the hotel, the room was clean and it was decorated nicely. It was large enough for our family of 5. It did have a fridge and a microwave which is great because we always pack food for lunch to save $$. The lakeside window view was a little disappointing in that there were trees blocking 3/4 of the view. The breakfast could maybe offer a few more protein options, it was pretty much all carbohydrates which just leaves you hungry an hour later. We only spent at most 2.5 hours in the waterpark the whole weekend but the kids enjoyed the time we were there. The only other thing that really bugged me was that the stairs really needed to be vacuumed, that is the first impression when you are heading to the room. They had the same dirt/debris on them the entire weekend.
​​​​​​​​​​

• Stayed August 2013
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear NotParis75,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review of our hotel. I am sorry you were unhappy with us during your stay, for the misunderstanding about the rate, and for the poor way you were treated. It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and apologize that this was not the case with you. We appreciate all guest feedback and use it to improve our operation. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust the next time you are here.

Denver
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We were visiting my folks up on the Range last year and they surprised us with a two night stay here, with our three girls who were all under the age of 5 at that time. We were also traveling with our dog, so the fact that it was pet friendly was an even bigger 'win'! On our return trip this year, they again suggested an overnight stay, which we immediately agreeed to!

We were THRILLED with this place! I stayed here many times as a youngster when I was in Duluth for Youth Symphony concerts (before they had a water park!) and the service was always great then. It was so nice to see that nothing had changed. Every single staff member we interacted with with courteous and prompt at dealing with whatever need we had. They have definately taught their staff what 'customer service' is all about! We travel extensively and have stayed at some of the finest 5-diamond resorts in the world, and the level of service here is at that level.

The 'suite' style room was absolutely perfect for the 7 of us. There was plenty of room in the 'double queen' side of the room for my family of 5, and Grandma and Grandpa had their own space on the 'King' side of the room. As you can imagine, having two bathrooms was also ideal. Even better, the room was more than enough space for our large dog to find a spot to lay and watch the goings on. And, when you are travling with a family, to have a small fridge (NOT a mini bar!) AND a small microwave? Who does that??? It makes it so much easier to manage the needs of small ones with cold milk and juice and snacks that can be warmed up when needed.

The rooms were clean and well appointed and the beds were comfortable. We had a lakeside room both times, and the kids loved to watch the lake for ships, as well to watch the train tracks just below the hotel. The 'pack n' play' they provided for our baby was spotless and in perfect repair. We never had an issue with noise in our room and everyone slept very well. There was a nice grassy area behind the hotel where we could get our dog out to do her thing, and it was well maintained. If I had one complaint it is that the towels are pretty typical 'Motel 6' quality towels. I would love to see them upgrade their towels to something fluffier, and to a size that an adult could actually wrap around themselves!

The continental breakfast was great, with many choices to please everyone. We only had a few snacks/appetizers from the Oasis on our two stays, but all of them were good.

The waterpark packs a lot into a small space. The water was the perfect temp, and we all had a ball. The lifeguards there were VERY aware and 'on it' in a very busy environment. I saw them jump into one of the pools to grab a girl who was struggling (even though she was in a life vest) and she was less than 6 feet from me and I hadn't noticed! Impressive! It was reassuring to me while chasing our three that there were other people who were also watching our kids.

All in all, when you figure that we had one room that accomodated 7 people and a dog, a microwave and fridge, two bathrooms, breakfast, two for one drink tokens for the adults AND two days in a water park, this place was a GREAT value.

The girls were heartbroken when it was time to leave, and frankly, so were we! We will be back!

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room whenever possible.
Dear Alison5280,

Thanks so much for returning to us and for taking the time to write and post your detailed review of our hotel.We are very proud of our people and appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a clean and comfortable stay and hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again soon.