“What happened???”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I am a returning customer and have been going to The Edge for a few years...never had any complaints or negative words until my last stay this passed weekend. First off, the breakfast change is thumbs down...not worth the money and not much choice to chose from esspecially for little ones. Second, the Easter egg hunt was a DISASTER!! Instead of breaking children up into age groups, they opened the door to everyone...so my 2 year old daughter was pushed, shoved and trampled (along with other kids her age) by all these older kids. Needless to say she got ONE egg while the older kids got 10+. Poor activity planning. I mean come on, its not rocket science to seperate a excited 12 year old from a 2 year old...not to mention a room full of older kids and a handful of toddlers. Last, the waterpark is my toddlers FAVORITE place and she enjoys that she now can get up the stairs, walk in the water and slide down the slides (with me right there of course) and this time, there were all these older kids running around...at one point my little one was walking up the stairs with me and was forcefully bumped by an older kid (12+) running passed her...she almost fell off the platform we were on if I didnt have her hand. No lifeguard signaled them to not run or to stop. That is a kiddie pool, there should be guideline for ages...unless parents/guardians are accompanying little ones. I seen parents on the sides with newborns that were getting splashed by older kids running passed. If this is a kids area, let the kids have fun and enjoy themselves or even let the parents have fun and relax with thier little ones!! There was rough housing in the lazy river as well and the life guards didnt do anything thee either, so I took the initiative and got out. I shouldnt have to leave a part of waterpark when I paid for this vacation. Oh, cant forget someone left an alcoholic beverage by the hot tub and some 4-5 year old got there hands on it pouring it into the hot tub, lucky he didnt drink it. Then our room, very clean but ended up on the pool floor by the highway...and no sleep for my 2 year old or myself because the traffic was sooooo loud! This is the first bad experience ive had here and I was very very disappointed! I dont know if I will take the 2 hour trip back there or add the extra hour and just go to the Dells. Hope they change somethings and I will gladly return with family.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noice for lakeview balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Jen2015,

I am very sorry to learn that you did not receive the wonderful vacation you have come to rely on from us during your recent visit and offer my sincere apologies the disappointments and frustrations you and your family experienced caused by our failure to deliver a better time for you in the waterpark and during the Easter Egg Hunt. I am glad you took the time to share your comments, and I will use them in discussions and training to make improvements to our operation. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. I hope you will give us the chance to regain your confidence.

There are newer reviews for Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Meh. Good thing Duluth is a great place.. this hotel wasn't. Outer rooms stink like, "old hotel" have to walk outside in the cold from the pool to your room...brrrr... the breakfast buffet is ridiculously over priced..I paid 40$ for my kids to eat cold cereal. Even the Apple juice was watered down.. the place was empty..obviously, word travels. The hotel is hard to navigate.. check in was 3 but our room want ready until an hour later. No apologies or compensation. Elevators are so tiny you can't get luggage carrier inside without an embarrassing spectacle. Pool is pretty fun.. the food and drinks are reasonable in price. Pizza was good.. we had 11 people and most of us swam.. the lifeguards were rude, not personable, not happy, and didn't care about kids having fun..they seemed annoyed constantly and in 4 days at the water park, I never had one say hello, smile, or even acknowledge our existence. Not once. They were terrible. Absolutely terrible personalities for a fun environment.. I understand their job holds a lot of responsibilities for children's safety etc...but smile, say hi, be decent. The waterside is fun, both are incredibly fast, I was thrown from the body slide and hit the bottom of the pool, at the exit, twice. I was too afraid to try a third time. Too risky for smacking my head in the pool bottom. 5 of us got rashes. The pool floor is so rough we alllllllll cut our toes. Besides the rude lifeguards, ishy breakfast, we still had fun..but would have at any other water park hotel... won't be making this a regular hotel spot.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Aren M,

I am truly sorry that you were so disappointed with us during your recent visit and offer my apologies for not delivering the great service, facilities and accommodations that we want all our guests to experience. There is no argument that there are design flaws here, and want you to know that we are looking at various solutions to the challenges we all face with our physical plant and layout. As far as the poor service and treatment you received, I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation so that we only have satisfied, happy guests here. If you would like to discuss this further, so we can learn more about your stay, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your earliest convenience. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Checked into our room at 4:00p this past Sunday. We had a reservation in one of the Tiki rooms; when we entered the room we noticed there was a industrial sized bottle of Fabreeze left on the window sill of the room with the bunk beds. Not the safest item to leave in a room designed for kids...not to mention, what smells are they trying to cover up?! Our "view" was outdoor smoking area. Literally about 5 feet from the window. We moved to a new room which failed to have air-conditioning. We called maintenance (nice guy!) but he said the rooms next to the waterpark are just warm. Its an indoor room so we had no window to open. We had 3 fans brought in. My 3-yo could not sleep because she was so hot. We ended up giving her a cold cloth. She slept in bed with us beceause the the bunk bed alcove was unbearably hot and stuffy, even with the fan blowing directly on her. Front desk said they would move us, but with an infant and a 3-yr old we really didn't feel like packing up our stuff AGAIN.

We ordered pizza for dinner. It took close to an hour for it to arrive (I should have listened to my instincts and ordered Pizza Luce). When it arrived the girl apologized and said they brought the pizza to the wrong room. And, of course, it was cold.

The waterpark was enjoyable for my 3yo until the lifeguard scolded us. My daughter was jumping off the side of the pool into my arms (her new trick) and we were told by the lifeguard that she could not jump into the pool because if another kid ran by and knocked her over she could get hurt. HUH?! It's a pool - little kids like to jump in!! She wasn't running, just jumping off the side into my arms.

We cut our losses and left after 1 day and drove back home (3 hrs).
Will not waste our time / money here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear 870Tina2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit comments about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to learn of the problems and frustration you encountered both in your room and the waterpark and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. We would like to learn more details and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and when for some reason we fail, we are very concerned. We value all guest feedback and use it to improve our operation. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to make amends.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stay at the Edge annually and always have a blast! The rooms are great, and the water park area is perfect for all of my kids. We were VERY disappointed to find that there is no longer a continental breakfast. The hotel advertised "you asked, we answered. A better breakfast option." Really? I'd like to know who on earth with more than 1 or 2 family members would ASK to have a paid buffet, rather than the continental breakfast of the past? Sadly due to that I can only give this location an average review. We will be back, but with four kids we'll bring cereal and fruit to have in our room for breakfast, as breakfast alone would now tack another $40 onto our daily budget if we opted for the motel buffet.

5  Thank mngirl81
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear mngirl81,

Thank you for your many visits and for posting your review. I'm sorry you are disappointed about the change to our breakfast and understand your position. We value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to evaluate our operation. I'm glad you and your family are happy with the service and accommodations we provide, and that you enjoy your time in our waterpark. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stay this past weekend at the edge and I have stayed at many waterpark before and this place is by far the worst. The hotel itself needs a whole entire makeover its very out dated. The whole hotel is dirty the hallways look like they don't get cleaned on a daily basis. The biggest joke is the breakfast. It is way over priced for what if offered. I've had better breakfast at a Holiday Inn and its included in the price. The waterpark itself is not too bad but everything has a old motel feel inside and out. For the price do not waste your money I will never go back.

2  Thank jessica j
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear jessicaj,

I am very sorry you were so disappointed with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies for any discomforts you experienced here. We'd like to learn more details about your stay and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can connect with you personally. We value your feedback and hope you will give us the opportunity to continue this discussion at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed one night in April 2014 on a Sunday night. We stayed in one of the Tiki Rooms (1 king bed with two sets of twin bunks and a pull out couch) that we decent in size but I would have to state it would be very tight with a maximum capacity of 8. We were able to check in early to use the waterpark (8 passes come with the room) They keep the rooms clean, some wear on the furniture but nothing that was falling apart. The king bed was not all that comfortable... Our room had a balcony overlooking the waterpark, only downside was that the ventilation tube blocks a good portion of the view. The door to the balcony did not seal very well so there was a lot of noise as a result until the park closes. The waterpark is nice, they had it warm in there so not too cold getting out of pools. The lifeguards were very diligent about making their rounds in watching their territories.
Overall the experience was very nice and would consider bringing the kids back for another stay.

Dear ZiggyT,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you found the bed uncomfortable and were disturbed by noise, and offer my apologies. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation and make sure our maintenance team is diligent about replacing weather seals so that this problem is eliminated. We value your business and appreciate your understanding, and look forward to serving you and your family here again.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am writing in regards to my stay at the Edgewater hotel April 4, and 5 2014. first let me say that I can only afford one vacation a year, and this one we scheduled to coincide with my husbands birthday which was Saturday April 5.when I made my reservation on Orbitz.com I was not made aware that there was a room tax of $24.40 per night, we arrived at the hotel at approximately 10:30 pm, and were told a total of almost $60 more than what I was quoted on Orbitz. since it was so late we paid, in cash, the total bill so that we could sleep somewhere. we were given room #1421. as we entered the room everything seemed to be in order so we unpacked and got into bed. approximately 30 minutes later my youngest daughter said mom I'm getting wet. so I got up and turned on the light. sure enough the ceiling above her was leaking down on her. we called down to the front desk and were told they would send a maintenance person up. when the maintenance guy showed up he looked at the leak and said looks like its been leaking for some time. he said he would go down to the front desk and get us moved, this was at 11:45pm. about 10 minutes went by and no word, so we called down to the front desk and were informed that the hotel was booked and they were calling management to figure out where to put us. 15 more minutes went by it was now after midnight and no word so we called down AGAIN. they told us they were moving us to room 1423, right next door, so we packed everything up and moved over to the new room, got situated and went to bed. The next day at about 11:30 we were enjoying the water park when our name was called over the intercom to come to the front desk, so I went upstairs, dripping wet and cold from swimming, to see what they needed. the kid at the front desk said no one called me up there. so I went back down to the waterpark. 5 minutes later I was called to come to the front desk again, this time I went to the food bar in the waterpark to see what was going on and the young man there called up to the front desk to see if I was really needed or not. I was told the manager was waiting for me. so I walked BACK upstairs, wet and cold, to see what I was needed for. this is when the manager informed me that the room they moved us to was booked for the night and they needed us to move our things AGAIN FOR THE 3RD TIME. this time down to room 1309. needless to say I was very unhappy about this, mostly because your company was taking time form my enjoyment of my vacation due to an issue not of my own doing. so we spent 40 minutes packing everything up and moving down a floor to another room. after moving my husband asked to speak to a manager at the front desk, and the kid there said he would be able to help, my husband told him how unsatisfied he was with having to move for a third time and felt we should be compensated for it, the young man at the front desk replied well we did compensate you by giving you a more expensive room to sleep in last night at no additional charge.to say I was stunned at that comment and his total lack of apology is putting it mildly. I've never been treated so rudely in my life. he was not accommodating at all. I would hope that in the future you could train your employees a little better on customer service, because that man knows none of it at all. so basically we lost nearly 2 hours of our time from sleep and enjoyment at the waterpark, because #1 your roof is defective, and #2 we weren't informed when we were moved the first time that we would be needing to move again. if I had known that I wouldn't have unpacked all our things, just to have to repack the next day. We spent nearly $500 to stay for 2 days at your establishment, and I will say that it was not worth it at all. our treatment was terrible, and not one of your managers contacted us or at any time apologized for the inconveniences they supplied.

11  Thank sawiggley

Dear sawiggley,

I know we have been in touch with you personally and believe that we have resolved the issues you experienced while you and your family were here to your satisfaction. If that is not the case, please contact me directly via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your earliest convenience so we can make this right for you. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered here.