“Excellent Time”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We ended up here after being unable to find a room on Canal Park. Turns our our stop in Duluth coincided with the Tall Ships and everything downtown was booked. This wasn't what I had planned, but it turned out to be perfect.

We stayed in the main section of the hotel in a room overlooking Superior. The room was a standard queen room with a pull-out couch, nothing different than a queen room anywhere else, other than that it had a balcony overlooking the water, which was very nice. I would suggest staying in this main section instead of the dated (at least the exterior) motel-style rooms by the road. We were checked in by a college-aged girl who was friendly but didn’t really know what she was doing. Our biggest issue here was the elevator. There is only one and it takes forever. Forever. There is a lot to do and they really need a whole bank of elevators.

After getting settled, we first checked out the outdoor activities. There is a pool, mini golf and bounce houses/slides. We didn’t use the pool but had a good time with everything else. We ordered a pizza from the hotel for dinner. It was ok, nothing exceptional, but it served the purpose and wasn’t too overpriced. We also enjoyed the 2-for-1 drinks. They are very overpriced but pretty tasty, and with the 2-for-1 drink tokens, they make the price about normal.

Then we hit the awesome indoor waterpark. It is an excellent indoor park. I can’t say enough good things about it. This makes the other things that weren’t quite perfect almost unnoticeable. The waterpark was immaculate, perfectly maintained, and had plenty of life guards (who were actually monitoring the park, not just standing around talking to each other), clean towels, tubes and seating. They have just enough to do that little kids aren’t overwhelmed and big kids/adults don’t get bored. Our 5 yo went nuts and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

In the morning we caught a beautiful sunrise over Superior (yes, I am always willing to pay more for that!) and watched the tall ships come in. We still had great views of the ships, and for a fraction of the price of a room in Canal Park.

We also braved the breakfast crowds. They have the usual continental breakfast fare, but it is scattered around the breakfast room. We missed some of it until we were on our way out. By then it was too late and too much work to find another seat.

We visited the waterpark again before we left - of course!

The price for everything was incredibly reasonable. I would definitely stay here again, in fact, I’d go out of my way to do so.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Tiki Towers.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Beentheredonethat777,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your detailed review about your visit with us during last year's Tall Ships event. I'm sorry for the poor service you received at the front desk, and for the slow elevators and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. It is guests like you who make our jobs of providing the highest standards of cleanliness, service and facilities very rewarding. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was not impression with the front desk worker. The lady was rude and didn't want to answer any questions about the rates and forgot to give us our agreed pizza coupon. and when i called her and she said, she would be right now to the room for the coupon and It took over an hour. I had to go the front desk to get the pizza coupon. I was not impressed with the front desk service.
but, I was happy that the rest of the people that work there. They were really nice and helpful. The guys that were working the restuarant were awesome and really helpful. I was dispointed with the extra costs and you had to play for breakfast now. The kids love the waterpark and the life guards were on the ball. I am happy to see that and they were real friendly to the kids. It was safe and clean place to visit. I just wish the weather was better to play mini golf.

Room Tip: the lakeview room are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear seanwendy,

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write and post your review. I am truly sorry for the poor service you received at our front desk and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I will use you review in discussions and training to improve our operation so this does not continue or recur. I'm glad you were happy with the rest of your stay and appreciate your compliments and recognition of jobs well done by our team. I hope (but can't guarantee - it is Duluth you know) that the weather will be better the next time you are here. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the Edgewater in May 2014. We were very excited about spending time at the waterpark and relaxing in a nice room in Duluth. We were not able to book a room in the Tiki Tower so instead booked a room in the 'Edgewater Classic-motel style' building. We were unsure what to expect as we were not able to find any photos of the motel on the website. The 'Two Queen Driveup Classic' room photos looked bright and cheery so we didn't feel too concerned. Imagine our disappointment when we arrived to find that we were spending the weekend in a very old motel in dire need of renovation. Our street level motel room opened to the parking lot and was dark and uninviting. People walking in front of our window made it impossible to open the curtains and let some light in. Cars park right in front of the window so even if you wanted to see out, you were looking into someone's car. The room faced London Road and the traffic noise was constant. I am including a photo so that people who reserve a room in the 'Edgewater Classic-motel style building', have an idea what they are paying for.

On the bright side, the staff was kind and efficient and we enjoyed the waterpark. Would I return? Maybe, but I would reserve a room in the Tiki Tower.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the 'hotel' and not the 'classic motel-style' rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank glojoTC
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear glojoTC,

Thank you very much for posting your straightforward comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with your room and understand your disappointment. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort you experienced. I'm glad you were happy with the waterpark and appreciate that you included that in your review. I hope you give us the chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I booked the wrong date and they let me switch with no extra charge. The waterpark is great. Rooms are nice. Ordered a Bloody Mary at the waterpark bar and they went upstairs to get a pepperoni stick garnish (now that's what I call service). It was delicious. The staff has been friendly to us. The view is amazing. It looks directly out to Lake Superior. What more can you ask for? We'll come here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Eric B

Dear Eric B,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments. It is always gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Outstanding time for family fun!

Hotel has undergone a renovation. I was happy for the waterpark for the children and the business center for the adults. ( Got some work done!)

The adjoining room set up gave us the opportunity to have some quiet couple time.
Lots to see and do in Duluth.
Good for a week vacation or a long weekend.

We enjoyed other venues for breakfast for the kids. There is a new Panera in town and we took advantage of a bagel pack. (OOps, guess I should give that a separate review!)

Staff is always helpful. To those that did not have a great experience, give the Edgewater a second chance.

Room Tip: If you have children, an inside room with a waterpark view is great. The park closes at 10:00pm so...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Ms Little R,

Thank you very much for posting your great review and rating about us. I'm glad you like the improvements we've made and appreciate your compliments and recognition of jobs well done by our team. We value your business and your recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We just returned from staying here with our grandchildren and family. We have been here a number of times so we know what to expect. We don't expect a Dells waterpark and we don't expect a Ritz. We do expect acceptable levels of cleanliness, prompt check in and rooms ready when promised.
Check in was prompt and Front desk clerk was very courteous however our room was not ready upon check in. Comparable rooms were available so I'm not quite sure why this situation was created. The front desk clerk took our number to call us when our room was ready. After thirty minutes with no call I went back and asked what the expected time frame was going to be (we had an infant needing a nap) after leaving the front desk and consulting with housekeeping no clear answer was available. We were offered a different room at that time which we took. The whole thing seemed rather unnecessary.
The good and bad about the lower level rooms. Good is your door opens up to the ground level where you have chairs and picnic tables are available. It is also possible to back up and easily unpack or pack up your vehicle without using all the doors and elevator. Our room had nice new white bed coverings and that really gave a better impression of the room than those old polyester comforters that we have all seen in the lab on 60 Minutes. The Bad is this area opens up to where the dogs relieve themselves. The stand with the poop bags was right by our room and since it was empty the lawn was rich with dog poop which was only second to the amount of cigarette butts that filled the lawn. Our room was very close to the employee work area so it was a busy staging area for the comings and goings of hotel improvements and maintenance. When the employees that smoke had a break we had to shut our doors as the room quickly filled with the smell of cigarettes. My guess is these lower level rooms are the ones typically filled with pet owners. I would choose a room at the farther end of the level if this is your preference.
I would echo the comments about the "new" breakfast. It took us longer to arrive at the breakfast room than it would to walk to Perkins. Perkins is right next door, offers a wonderful lake view and kids eat for $4.99 beverage included. There were photographs and maps of Great Lakes history on the walls and you don't have to go on the road or put the kids in the car to go there. We did try the breakfast at the Edge. It was a nice attempt but our grandchildren left hungry. There was no toast or bagels or prepackaged yogurt just a giant bowl of something yogurtish and muffins. The biscuits were very good as were the carmel rolls. Oatmeal was not cooked to done although there were very nice accompaniments such as pecans, walnuts and fruit if it had been an option. A lovely lakeside view awaits diners eating at the tables against the window. Food is stationed along the walls of the large conference room so you have a few trips to gather your breakfast. Black tablecloths and a disco ball adorn the room. We missed the kiddie play area and the friendly servers who attended to the families at the old breakfast. We never visit during high season so we never encountered the lines and problems that existed before and facilitated the transition to the new breakfast program. I imagine adding this cost onto a room during a stay will not be an option for many people. Those we talked to all went out or brought food in. That could lead to more trash in the rooms for housekeeping and perhaps that might delay check ins? Well, that's the hotel business.
I appreciate the edge for what it is. Our family enjoys our visits there and it means a lot to us that management always tries to make things right and deals expeditiously with troublesome issues. At least that has been our experience. We would and will return.

1  Thank brokeparents

Dear brokeparents,

Thanks so much for coming back with your family, and for taking the time to write and post more candid comments about your experience here. I'm very sorry for the confusion at the front desk, and for the problems you encountered near your room and at breakfast. We rely on feedback from guests like you to guide us in improving and operating our business. I'll share your review with our entire team so they can see the importance of every aspect of the jobs they do here. We want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and appreciate your input and your understanding. We look forward to hearing from you again the next time you are here.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I am a returning customer and have been going to The Edge for a few years...never had any complaints or negative words until my last stay this passed weekend. First off, the breakfast change is thumbs down...not worth the money and not much choice to chose from esspecially for little ones. Second, the Easter egg hunt was a DISASTER!! Instead of breaking children up into age groups, they opened the door to everyone...so my 2 year old daughter was pushed, shoved and trampled (along with other kids her age) by all these older kids. Needless to say she got ONE egg while the older kids got 10+. Poor activity planning. I mean come on, its not rocket science to seperate a excited 12 year old from a 2 year old...not to mention a room full of older kids and a handful of toddlers. Last, the waterpark is my toddlers FAVORITE place and she enjoys that she now can get up the stairs, walk in the water and slide down the slides (with me right there of course) and this time, there were all these older kids running around...at one point my little one was walking up the stairs with me and was forcefully bumped by an older kid (12+) running passed her...she almost fell off the platform we were on if I didnt have her hand. No lifeguard signaled them to not run or to stop. That is a kiddie pool, there should be guideline for ages...unless parents/guardians are accompanying little ones. I seen parents on the sides with newborns that were getting splashed by older kids running passed. If this is a kids area, let the kids have fun and enjoy themselves or even let the parents have fun and relax with thier little ones!! There was rough housing in the lazy river as well and the life guards didnt do anything thee either, so I took the initiative and got out. I shouldnt have to leave a part of waterpark when I paid for this vacation. Oh, cant forget someone left an alcoholic beverage by the hot tub and some 4-5 year old got there hands on it pouring it into the hot tub, lucky he didnt drink it. Then our room, very clean but ended up on the pool floor by the highway...and no sleep for my 2 year old or myself because the traffic was sooooo loud! This is the first bad experience ive had here and I was very very disappointed! I dont know if I will take the 2 hour trip back there or add the extra hour and just go to the Dells. Hope they change somethings and I will gladly return with family.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noice for lakeview balcony.

Dear Jen2015,

I am very sorry to learn that you did not receive the wonderful vacation you have come to rely on from us during your recent visit and offer my sincere apologies the disappointments and frustrations you and your family experienced caused by our failure to deliver a better time for you in the waterpark and during the Easter Egg Hunt. I am glad you took the time to share your comments, and I will use them in discussions and training to make improvements to our operation. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience. I hope you will give us the chance to regain your confidence.