“Great for families”

Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
United Arab Emirates
“Great for families”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The good:
Accommodating staff, friendly service
Attentive lifeguards
Fun waterpark
Room had a microwave and fridge. That's handy for kids.

The bad:
The quality of food at the pool snackbar was pretty bad and not cheap (it's hard to ruin boxed mac & cheese, but they did at $5 for a kid's meal)
The rooms need some updating. It's trying for a Polynesian feel, but you know, some nice white comforters that can be washed after every stay (instead of the polyester bedding that we've all seen on "Nightline" or whatever) would be a big improvement
The balconies could use a nice deep cleaning
The lakeview rooms face the lake, but you're not right on the lake. You're on the interstate. Occasionally a loud car really can shake up the room.

I would definitely stay here again with kids. Business travel - no way.

Room Tip: We had 1st floor lakeview balcony. We were near the pool and didn't really get a lot of traffic...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Leezer1015,

Thank you very much for posting your detailed review about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry we did a bad job at the pool snackbar, and I will personally spend more time there to assure proper products and procedures are being used. Your input and feedback is important to us and we will take it into consideration as we make improvements to the hotel. We do deep clean the balconies in rotation and I'm sorry yours wasn't in better condition. I'm glad you were happy with other aspects of your stay and appreciate your kind words. I hope we can serve you here again on a future visit and that you will be more pleased with us at that time.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We are a Family of 5, three kids ages 15, 12, 7. We had a great time for a 2 night stay, the price was a great value. Our boys enjoyed the mini golf. The water park served as a great place for babies to preteen kids to experience a water park.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Adam Z,

Thank you very much for posting your great review and rating about your recent stay with us. We are proud to provide excellent service, facilities and accommodations at a reasonable price and pleased to know you found us to be a good value. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us and hope that you will let us serve you here again.

Watertown, South Dakota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My kids loved this hotel. We stayed in a suite that had a separate rooms with bunkbeds which was great. I loved that it had an indoor waterpark for the kids but also a heated outdoor pool and hot tub if you wanted to get away from all the noise.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear tuttifrutti123,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your nice comments. We know how important it is to have quality family time and are glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your time here. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Duluth.

Owatonna, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family enjoyed this hotel and its amenities. Waterpark had a good variety of activies. The outdoor pool was very warm and fun to swim outside facing Lake Superior. Enjoyed the view of lake and lift bridge. Room is average on the older part, but clean and had most everything we like in a room, plus the price was reasonable. (there are always trade-offs) Mini-fridge needed to be defrosted, but staff brought a working one within 30 minutes. Would have liked a mini-microwave too. Roasted marshmellows 1 night, as hotel provided it. Our 8 year old son enjoyed arcade & mini-golf to have other things to do besides waterpark.

Room Tip: Rooms not in the Tiki Tower---had to walk outside or use sky walk. Liked the view alot.
1 Thank Tracy A
Dear Tracy A,

Thanks for sharing posting your great review about your recent stay with us. We value your business and your feedback. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you better the next time you are here.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 May 2014

At check in we were told that the outdoor pool was open. When we went down to check out the waterpark and pool, we saw a sign by the outdoor pool that said, "pool closed". The "waterpark" was small and dark. There were exactly 2 waterslides - both enclosed. There was no place for anyone to swim indoors. I went to find out if the outdoor pool was open yet and saw that it was not, so I went to the lobby. I asked the manager if the outdoor pool was supposed to be open and he informed me that it was open. I told him that there was a sign that said that it is closed and he said he would check on it. He disappeared around the corner, made a phone call and, when he came back, several minutes later, walked over to the window and said, "It's open!" I have no doubt that he called and told them to open it only because I asked about it. Once we were able to get into the outdoor pool, we found it to be especially nice. It was warm and it was kind of fun to be able to enjoy an outdoor pool in pleasant weather and still see the ice on Lake Superior. The spa would have been enjoyable if it had not been full of sand from all of the children who would come into it after having been on the playground and also if it had not been full of children. There is an abundance of lifeguards in the "waterpark" area but none for the outdoor pool or to supervise the spa.
Our room left so much to be desired. I was extremely small. We requested a rollaway when we checked in and we ended up having to call to remind them to bring it. There was a small refrigerator but no microwave. There were people down the hall cooking something in their room. The walls are paper thin (my husband heard the light switch click in the room next door). You could hear doors slamming all night long and people running up and down the hall. You could see daylight around the door and there was a large gap between the in wall air conditioner unit and the wall. There were 1 1/2 rolls of toilet paper for 5 people for 2 days. All of the rooms in our part of the hotel were non smoking, but the hallway reeked of smoke because people would stand outside with the door open while they smoked.
There is not enough parking for the number and location of the rooms that this hotel has.
This hotel might work for a couple with children under the age of ten who would like to sit and drink while their kids are in the water at the "waterpark". However, if you have children who actually like to swim, save your money and go to a less expensive hotel with a regular pool.
The staff here were less than friendly with one exception - the young man who was working in the game room on Sunday. We will definately NOT be back to this hotel. We are considering one more solidly built for a quiet night.

Room Tip: The best advice I can give to help someone choose a good room would be to choose a room at a differe...
1 Thank Addison N
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Addison N,

I am very sorry for all the problems you encountered here and offer my sincere apologies for the frustration, discomfort and disappointment you experienced. We want our guests to be met with a well-trained staff that puts guest comfort and satisfaction before everything else. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.The only way we can get better is to get honest and timely feedback from guests like you. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Tkki Tower with my daughter and niece. Staff were outstanding from th registration desk to housekeeping, to the waterpark. Everyone listened to our needs and took care of us. Gave us a room on ground floor close to the exit for our dog without us even having to ask which was so helpful. Room was clean and even though it looked directly out to the water park, we barely heard any noise. I can't give it all stars because no matter what we did we couldn't get the room to cool down. Air conditioning ran constantly and the room never got cool enough for a comfortable sleep. It was like the floors were heated.nice place we would definitely stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear MemorySaver,

Thanks for posting your nice review about our hotel. We are very proud of our people and appreciate your recognition of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are here. I'm sorry for the discomfort you experienced due to the AC unit in your room and offer my sincere apologies. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you and your family the next time you visit Duluth.

Rockford, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Two issues: one resolved, the other not. The first night I had an adjoining room with a field trip of students next door to me. At 10 PM too noisy, so the front desk changed my room. The clerk was very accommodating and understanding as a former teacher and Girl Scout leader I have done my fair share of overnight field trips - did not feel the need to re-visit the experience.

I stayed 4 nights, each night used the automatic wake-up call system. Three mornings, the call came from 40-55 minutes late. When I called the front desk, the clerk assured me if I called the desk, someone would personally call me - never happened. The morning I was checking out, I needed to get up at 6 AM so I asked my husband to call me from home - thank goodness he did because the automated system called 55 minutes late and the desk clerk never called despite my personal request the night before. I used the automatic wake-up call because I could not get the clock radio alarm to work right.

I stay at the Edgewater anywhere from 6-10 nights a year as I am in Duluth to visit with my father (who is 100 years young) and my brother. Not having a reliable wake-up system in place could be a big problem. Usually the Edgewater addresses problems quickly but two calls to the front desk about the same issue gives me pause to think about my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not an adjoining one if you do not need one!!! Also, stay in the Tiki Tower...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Kathy C,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for sharing your candid comments. I am truly sorry for the poor service you received from our automatic wake up call system and from our front desk team, and offer my sincerest apologies for the problems they caused. We greatly value your business and your feedback, which we will to improve our operation. I will instruct the IT team to investigate and repair the phone/wake up system and have housekeeping report all non functioning clock radios, so they can be replaced. Our front desk team will be more diligent about wake up call, too. We'd like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.