“Best Grandma's Marathon experience”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my first trip to Grandma's Marathon in Duluth. This hotel is on the last leg of the route and we had front row seats as runners were running their last 4 miles. The hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate runners and their families. Complimentary snacks and fruit in the lobby, sign-making, a party in the parking lot with music and hot dogs and beer! Free shuttle rides to and from Canal Park - a wonderful convenience. A grand buffet breakfast in their conference center. While I didn't use the water park, my grandson did and it was clean and very well attended to. We asked for a room upgrade and were quickly and easily accommodated. This is a premiere hotel especially if you're going for Grandma's Marathon.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms offer a balcony looking out at Lake Superior.
1  Thank pingsis2
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear pingsis2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your wonderful review about your stay with us during the exciting Grandma's Marathon weekend. Everyone gets energized by the runners and supporting them is a real pleasure for all of us here. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and we really appreciate your kind words. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again.

There are newer reviews for Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark

Reviewed 23 June 2014

If you are looking a for a hotel that is reasonably priced with lots of great amenities-this is the one. The hotel is clean, employees are helpful, the water park is FANTASTIC and the location is close enough to Canal Park without having to pay an arm and leg. Our #1 reason for staying here was the water park(kids 13/11)-they had a BLAST! Also, I was very impressed with the fitness center. I know many don't book hotels based on this, I, however, factor it into my decision. I couldn't believe how spacious, clean, and up to date treadmills, crosstrainers, and ellipticals were. I also had a gorgeous view of Lake Superior while I was running. The only hiccup in our stay was that housekeeping only made our beds one of the times they stopped. Our garbage was full and we had wet towels on the bathroom floor. The garbage was not emptied and our towels weren't replaced. Other than that, our stay was above my expectations. I would definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel to families with children that like to swim.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Stacie L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your review about your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry our housekeeping department did not perform up their usual high standards and missed cleaning your room as they should have done. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused you and your family. I'm very grateful that you did not let this ruin your stay, and appreciate your understanding and tolerance. I will use your review in discussions and training to make sure our housekeeping team improved their procedures so this doesn't continue or recur. I'm glad you and your family had such a good time here and am happy that you recommend us and will be our guest again. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here during future visits.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My granddaughter and I stayed at this hotel when my husband was stuck in a local hospital. I thought I might spend my evening worrying about him but I just focused on the fun. Our room was clean and spacious. My granddaughter found the Disney channels a delight since we do not have them at home. The waterpark was awesome. She and I kept saying (while we were in the waterpark) we knew where our next vacation would be, "HERE!" I also found the hotel staff helpful. To try and save a few bucks when I discovered that my husband would not be joining us I thought I could switch our rate to a patient rate offered to those visiting area hospitals and the girl at the desk was helpful/honest in telling me that that rate wouldn't include the waterpark, saving me a mistake I'd later regret. I will stay again... with more family

Room Tip: We had a balcony room facing the lake and enjoyed the morning view. Nice to get fresh air 1st thing...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Charlene E,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your base while your husband was in the hospital. I'm so glad you and your granddaughter were able to relax and enjoy you time together here, and that you have many fond memories of your visit. We're thrilled to hear that you will be making your next vacation here and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We found Edgewater through Trip Advisor and based on reviews, decided to make it part of our Minnesota Road Trip. It's a great location in order to visit the Canal Park area or take a day trip up the coast, of which we did both during our stay. Although the water park was secondary for us, it was good to use later in the evening. While Wisconsin Dells holds the crown for "big" water parks, this one was fine for our family (2 kids ages 9 and 12) for the amount of time we used it. I think if you go there specifically for the waterpark, older kids might get bored. The staff was professional, and the room was clean and spacious...we had a 2 bedroom with a lake view and balcony which is great for families, but make sure to ask for it when you reserve or you could get a room facing the water park, unless you want that. We did not utilize the breakfast at the hotel which was a little pricy for what we normally eat, so we packed our own. Room had a mini fridge, two sinks (one in bathroom) and microwave. Area around hotel seemed safe, and the lakewalk walking and biking path has a connecting bridge from the hotel parking lot. Neat place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Arnie212121,

Thank you very much for including us in your recent Minnesota Road Trip! I'm glad your and your family enjoyed your time here and appreciate your comments and recognition of jobs well done by our team. I hope we can serve you here again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel room has a small balcony to view the lake. It was delightful to watch the sunrise. Room had more than what I needed. Along with hair dryer and coffee maker there was a refrigerator and microwave. Perfect for a family stay. Decor appeared to need updating and sound control efforts did not control hall noise or road traffic noises.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear epazota,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your review. I'm sorry for any disturbance you experienced due to noise and hope you will accept my apologies. I'm glad you and your family were happy with other aspects of your room and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will be our guest again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We just returned home from thisFABULOUS hotel. We took our 2 year old on our first family vacation here and we had a BLAST! I really appreciate the time and effort the staff put in to making this a wonderful family event. From cute towel animals from housekeeping to the breakfast buffet staff that greeted us with a smile to the lifeguards who NEVER took their eyes of the pools. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Miranda H,

Thank you very much for making your very first TA review about the fabulous time you and your family had with us here at the Edge. Everyone here works hard to deliver a higher quality guest experience than our competitors, and we really appreciate your feedback and recognition of jobs well done by our team. We are looking forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I do not Think I will stay here again. The hallways are dirty and smelly. The room was dirty and old looking. There was a big glob of hair stuck to the blanket of my bed, the carpet is disgusting dirty and sticky! I paid $490 to stay here for three nights and now I regret it! The food is too expensive here we ate elsewhere. I did love the gym though and spent a lot of time there. I was disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear techie47,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your comments. i'm sorry you for the conditions your found in your room and the hallways and understand your disappointment and regrets. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced here.We'd like the opportunity to make amends and hope you will contact me at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this discussion. We value your business and your feedback and will try to regain your confidence.