“Decent Place to Stay”

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Motley
“Decent Place to Stay”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

This was an older Motel which upon pulling in I had some initial reservations. The downtown area of Duluth has gotten so much more rough than it was years ago. The rooms were dated but clean which is important. The staff 'did their job' nothing more or less. They were not rude but not very friendly either. Breakfast was limited but I was not really there for breakfast my only complaint was they could not keep up with the coffee. The skyway is close yet can be confusing if you are trying to get over to canal street. I cannot say I would recommend this as a family stay because there is not anything for kids to do. I can honestly say I would stay here again and plan on it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank JFietek
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thanks for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the service you received, and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. I will use you review in discussions and training to improve our operation, and I hope you will let us know how we are doing the next time you decide to stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Location is in rough area of town, room heater very load bring ear plugs to be able to sleeps. Guests could be heard walking by you room late in the evening, colorful language. When we arrived we were greater with 24 empty beer bottles left just out side our room next to the trash container

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Fred S
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the noise from the heater and other aspects of your stay, and hope you will accept my apologies. Please let us know how we can serve you better the next time you are in Duluth.
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our room was clean, the location is just a block from the skywalk (handy in the winter!). They had some trouble getting us checked in, but let us go to our room and complete the paperwork the next day.

• Stayed January 2013
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and review. I'm sorry about the problems you experienced during check in, and hope you will accept my apologies. I'm glad it all got worked out, and that you were happy with other aspects of your stay. I hope we can serve you here again soon.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

By far the dirtiest room I've ever stayed in, the bathroom was disgusting! Shower dropped all night and the bath tub was rotted out and had condensation in the tub the whole time? It was a ground floor unit , maybe thats why? Room smelled rancid, old smoke and mold, comforter was filthy and smokey. The parking lot is a nightmare and we saw another guests car get hit by another guest pulling in. I was afraid mine would get hit the whole night. The hotel is also a seedy location . Had to was everything in my suitcase cause it smelt like mold and s

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Loveitandleaveit
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
I am truly sorry you were so unhappy with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies. The conditions you describe are certainly not up to our usual standards, and I will use your reviw in discussions and training to improve our operation. We welcome all guest input and appreciate your candid comments.

Travellers are raving about these Duluth hotels

South Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I work for a 3 star hotel in the Twin Cities and so am very familiar with the amenities modern hotels should offer. This MOTEL (not hotel) was the type where your room door opens onto the parking lot. The room was small, but clean and had decent beds, flat screen tv, and bathroom fixtures were all working properly (except there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom...which is awful in such a small room!) The wifi was fast and reliable and the cable tv selections were great. I was traveling to Duluth to visit my daughter in college and I prefer to stay in Best Westerns, so this was my ONLY choice if I wanted to stick with the brand and use my Rewards points for my stay. Breakfast REALLY needs improvement! Just a few items to chose from and no lids for the coffee cups...so you must carry your coffee across the parking lot with no lid!
It certainly was a decent enough room and as I bring a fan with me to use for sleeping noise, I was not bothered too much by the city noises. We did have a drunk fall into our door at 3am and then lay on the pavement for a minute before getting up and moving on to his room (presumably) but that's not the hotel's fault.
Neither staff person I had interactions with was particularly friendly. They were efficient enough, but I didn't feel very welcomed after my long day of driving and arriving to find my reservation wasn't entirely correct, coupled with a staff girl who barely interacted with us except as much as was absolutely necessary. Front desk people are the first impression of any property and should always be cordial and friendly.
All in all, I would stay there again when I come to visit my daughter in the future. I will just be better prepared to eat breakfast elsewhere. I will also be sure to ask if ANY room has an exhaust fan in the restroom. The prices are pretty steep for what you get, but I understand they are charging for the location, which for me was incredibly convenient to both UMD and St. Scholastica.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mcernyiq
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for your loyalty to the Best Western family of hotels, and for staying at our hotel. I'm sorry you were disappointed with our service and breakfast and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. I appreciate your understanding of our business, and hope you will continue to let us know how we are doing on your future visits to your daughter and Duluth.
Albertville, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I was skeptical about staying here after all the negative reviews. This place is not as bad as what some people have said unless you are extremely fussy there is nothing wrong with the Best Western Downtown. Look at the price difference between this motel and the ones in Canal Park. Our room was clean, it is small but we didn't care we were only there to sleep. The breakfast in the morning is pretty similar to any other continental breakfast that I ever had. I would stay here again and would recommend this motel to family and friends. I consider this motel to be within walking distance of Canal Park unless you are extremely out of shape or an older individual.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank semi872
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your candid review of our hotel. I'm glad you were happy with the room and service we provide, and appreciate your recommendation of us. I hope you will allow us to serve you again the next time you visit Duluth.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This was my first and will be my only stay at the Best Western Downtown Motel in Duluth, MN. I don't even know where to begin so I'll start with the biggest issue. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting!!! There were pubic hairs on the toilet, sink, in the shower, and even in the "clean" towels that were folded on the shelf in the bathroom. When I checked in the toilet had dried urine on the toilet seat and the shower was covered in mold. The coffee maker in the room was dirty and had water from a previous guest inside of it and it had a musty odor. The next biggest issue was the general lack of routine maintenance with the room and motel in general. The floors were uneven and wavy. If anyone has difficulty walking this would be a huge safety issue where they could fall and injure them self. The massage shower head in the shower was broken and the shower was so small you could barely turn around. There were scuffs and marks on the walls and counters. Moving on...the lobby area was dirty and the free "hot" breakfast offered was cold and the breakfast area looked like they have never cleaned it. I saw it and chose to find a restaurant to have breakfast instead. The list goes on about this motel but I'll just say it was WAY below my expectations for being a Best Western branded motel. If you absolutely have to stay in Duluth and this is your only option it's okay, but if given a choice I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joseph B
I am very sorry you were so unhappy with your accommodations here during your recent stay, and offer my sincere apologies. The conditions you describe are well below our normal standards, and I will use your review to improve our operation. I hope you will not let this one visit affect your high regard for the Best Western family.