“Best Italian Restaurant in Duluth”
Review of Va Bene Caffe

Va Bene Caffe
Ranked #4 of 261 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: View, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, fresh from-scratch Italian. Not your nonna's trattoria. Pastas, salads,pizzas, steak, fish, fresh baked desserts and gelato. Full bar, fantastic wine list and specialty cocktails. Perched overlooking Lake Superior with the best views of the lift bridge and harbor. Indoor and outdoor seating.
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The food and desserts always excellent. The pasta bar selection is my favorite menu item. My family from out of town always requests a night out to Va Bene when they are in town.

There are newer reviews for Va Bene Caffe

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We eat at Van Bene every trip. Great, intimate Italian restaurant right on the lake. Everything is homemade and authentic.

3  Thank Joy S
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm Italian and enjoy cooking it but like eating out as well. However I'm always a bit nervous that it might not be authentic when trying to find a nice Italian restaurant. This cozy spot was a pleasant surprise.

Started out with the roasted red pepper spread on grilled bread. Yummy! They brought Italian bread with oil and a touch of vinegar too. This bread was different but just as yummy! I ordered the winter capresa salad which meant it came with roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and homemade basil pesto (instead of fresh basil served in the summer). It was amazing and we all loved the pesto! Other folks had the misto salad (very good) and the caeser salad (good too).

Fir the main course I tried the pasta with Italian sausage and tomato sauce. The sausage was a little on the spicy side (I'm a big sweet sausage fan) but really good flavor. I couldn't finish it. Others had the gnocchi with Gorgonzola cheese (filling), salmon which was excellent, fettuccine carbonara (good too), and the kids had the pizza which huge and they could shared it (10 & 8). The kids meals came with gelato which is homemade and delicious. We were too full for dessert. I thought their prices were quite reasonable as well. And the best part of the meal was the bottles of wine were half price the night we visited!

It's a small place and we had to wait about 15 minutes for our table but there is a delightful shop two doors down that sells hand painted ceramics from Sorrento, Italy and we were lucky enough it was opened and Giuseppe was so much fun to visit with.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The cafe is perched right by the lake, not far from Fitzgers and the Malt Shoppe. Make a reservation for a table in the back room for great views of the lake. The restaurant is pleasantly small/cozy, with very friendly staff, a nice menu and good food. I enjoyed the visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was an amazing Italian restaurant found along the shores of Lake Superior. The service was excellent, and the food was even better!

Been to Va Bene Caffe? Share your experiences!