“Wish I'd had it delivered the night before!”
Review of Pizza Luce

Pizza Luce
Ranked #15 of 267 Restaurants in Duluth
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I'm a former resident of Duluth, tho it's been over 30 years and I was a teen when I lived there. That said, things have sure changed and except for the awful casino, all for the better! Pizza Luce is one of the best changes. My first night in town this time, I saw Luce's ad in my hotel's guest book, and the black-and-white photo of the pizza started my mouth watering. When's the last time a B&W pic made you want to eat the food shown? Sadly, the ad didn't contain sufficient information so I had no idea they'd deliver. How unfortunate! The next night, joined by friends, I ate in the restaurant. What a delight! As a progressive woman and the mother of two teens, I wasn't put off in the least by the appearance of our waiter, all I cared about was seeing his clean hands and fingernails. (Beats some old broad with fake nail tips harboring god-knows-what!) The three of us all ordered something different, tho two selections were pizza. Gal #1 "made her own" pie with pineapple, Canadian bacon, etc. The pizza was delicious, toppings generous (almost too much C bacon for me) and fresh. Gal #2 had one of the specials, a Thai pasta with "mock duck." What a surprise!!! It rivaled some of the "real" Thai food I've had - the spices were perfectly balanced with ginger hitting a high note, as it should have, and the mock duck was a delicious revelation to this meat-lover. I'd perused the large menu hoping to find the same ingredients (minus the pasta, of course) on Luce's wonderful pizza crust - I'd have ordered it if I had - but no go. I wonder now if they'd have made it for me if I'd simply asked? Anyway, my pizza was truly a "chef's choice" - my choices being roasted red peppers, artichokes, green peppers, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, light on the cheese. This was one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten. The toppings totally covered the crust, the sauce was simple but tomato-licious, and they actually understood the concept of "light on the cheese." I loved the crust - could've eaten it by itself dipped in the sauce! Dessert was carrot cake, dense and wonderfully spiced with the perfect balance of cake to yummy frosting. I wish there were a Pizza Luce here in Madison!

Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stopped in for some delicious pizza. I thought it tasted horrible. I think I have had frozen pizza at better prices.
The service here was slow and our waitress kept forgetting items on our kid's meals. I couldn't wait to leave.

Reviewed 3 July 2009

We had been holed up in a cabin near Ely MN for about 5 days due to high winds, rain, clouds and whatnot. We decided to take a daytrip to Duluth ......a city we knew nothing about just to "get out". We were stumbling around the downtown and we very hungry. We were trying to decide where to go as we stood in this pizza place's doorway. We decided to eat here and loved it. Yes, the server(s) were pierced and tattooed but that seems to be most of the younger generation anymore these days. Our pizza was great, so was the lasagna and the mosticolli. We decided to go quickly see the UMD and the server drew us a very helpful map! WE all liked this place and the service was great. We had NO complaints at all!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 20 April 2009

i love pizza luce

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 19 February 2009

This place is Duluth's attempt at being hip, I guess. Some heavily tattooed and dreadlocks servers, but relatively friendly. Sandwiches are OK though pricey, but the pizza???????? OK I guess if you love Dominos, you'll like this. Heavy on the crust and sparse on the sauce and toppings. It would be nice if they spread the toppings out nearer the ends of the crust. I keep hearing about this mashed potato pizza but found it to be a good gimmick, but fairly tasteless. But then again what do expect from mashed potatoes - Some things are just not pizza toppings and unless it would come with some tasty gravy or something, forget it. Wings are extraordinarily spicy, so beware. Don't let them stick you in the Alley. Oh, and don't be shocked by the unisex bathrooms