“Nice stay.”
Review of Comfort Inn West

Comfort Inn West
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The location was very convenient, right off I-35. The rooms were well kept and spacious. Every member of the staff was helpful and very nice. Breakfast each morning was tasty and there was plenty for all. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I travel roughly 8 months of the year for business,so I stay in many hotels. I often use the Choice brand because they're reasonably priced and generally decent. I've stayed at this hotel twice,and cannot recommend it more highly. Hardly know where to begin. Okay, Cookies and lemonade when we check in...desk staff are incredibly nice and welcoming. They remind us that from 5 to 7 pm there will be hot pulled pork sandwiches and chips, plus a cheap open bar with wine and beer. The sandwiches of course are free, and delicious. Everyone from the desk clerks to the room cleaners are cheerful, happy, seem to enjoy their jobs and are happy to dispense good advice about things to see and places to eat (and their recommendations are spot-on). The pool and jacuzzi are wonderful, but here's the best thing of all: Open to all up till 10pm...but between 10 and 11pm you MUST be 18 or older to partake. No screaming groups of middle school band members, no whining teens...it's adults only from 10 to 11.
The breakfast is good, with waffles, scrambled eggs,sausage,hard boiled eggs, plenty of fruit (including GOOD apples) yogurt, etc. etc etc. What makes this hotel special is breakfast is available till 10 am. This is SO wonderful because often it's hard for me to get my group up and in the breakfast room before the usual cutoff of 9.
If I have one criticism of this marvelous place, it's this: They don't have a fitness room on site. They provide day memberships to an area work out place, which would be awesome if I felt like driving somewhere. I would have liked to toddle downstairs in my jammies for a quick workout in the morning before breakfast. But other than this minor gripe, I have to say that this hotel is truly a gem, and I wish Choicehotels would use them as a template for all the other properties. They say "the fish rots from the head"and I'd guess the reverse is true too. Whoever is in charge of this hotel is brilliant and deserves a massive award for actually proving it's possible to be extremely hospitable in the hospitality industry. Thank you so much! I have a hunch you pay your employees a living wage (at least I hope so) based on all the other good vibes I'm getting from this property. Thank you thank you thank you from someone who stays in many hotels, but never feels as good as when I stay in the Comfort Inn West in Duluth.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice, different areas, both good.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Amanda K, General Manager at Comfort Inn West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Wow.... I am extremely touched by your comments. Please accept my gratitude on behalf of the entire staff for the wonderful and thoughtful review you have given us. Please let me just simply say "Thank you" for being our guest, for seeing the highlights of the hard work the staff does and for letting others know about it. This is what we strive to accomplish and I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again. Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We found this hotel when we decided to take a quick trip to Duluth to visit relatives. The location is right of the highway and easy to find although it is in a commercial area and the noise from Semis is quite loud. The rooms were comfortable and beds were great. There was a reception in the evening which was nice - hot dogs, chips, etc. Great addition since we were going out for a late dinner. The breakfast in the morning was great - the ladies there were constantly refilling and cleaning. I would stay here again for a night.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

What a lovely hotel. The Staff is the first attraction to the hotel from the moment that we made our reservation through our stay we were treated with outstanding hospitality. Wonderful facility with a great room, pool, hot tub, evening bar and a breakfast that is continually refilled with fresh food. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your review! It is so great to hear you had such a nice time as our guest! Your comments give us such motivation to keep providing a great stay experience to each and every person who stays with us. We're so glad to hear we've earned your loyalty and look forward to seeing you again. Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel was super easy to find and access from the interstate. Staff was friendly and check-in was quick and efficient. The room was spacious and sound quality was good. Comfortable beds and linens. The room was clean and everything worked. The complimentary breakfast offered a good variety of choices from eggs and bacon to waffles and assorted breads, as well as fruits, cereals, yogurt and coffee. Check-out was also quick and the staff was friendly. The kids enjoyed the pool area. Would stay here again next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel was an unpleasant surprise! The room almost knocked us over with the smell of cigarette smoke as soon as we opened the door. Friends traveling with us had the same problem with their room! Of course the hotel was booked solid and we just couldn't be moved to a different room even though it was only 5:30 when we arrived. The desk clerk said the only option available was to run the sanitizer machine in the rooms and since all other hotels in the area were booked, we didn't have much choice. The process would take 1/2 hour for each room and we could not be in the rooms while the machine was running. So we waited in the lobby area for an hour (1/2 hour per room, only one machine) which was not unbearable but annoying. Luckily the machine took care of the problem for the most part.

One wonders why the rooms aren't checked for such things prior to the guest's arrival? The manager did give us a discounted room rate after several minutes of discussion the next morning and 1000 points on our Comfort Inn loyalty card, but as I said it was an unpleasant surprise. And one we'll remember next time we select a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the unpleasant odor you encountered in your room. Our goal is to ensure each guest has an enjoyable time in Duluth and at our hotel and I am disappointed we were not able to provide you with the experience you expected. Occasionally, we do have other hotel guests who choose to smoke in our smoke free facility. I will follow up with the housekeeping staff to ensure they are following proper procedures when this happens. Thank you again for your comments. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you with a more positive stay experience. Amanda Kasie, General Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was a very nice hotel. Located right off 35. Easy on and easy off. The front desk staff was pleasant and I was greeted right away. Rooms were nice and clean. Pool area was clean also. Huge lobby area that served a big free breakfast in the morning. They had a nice happy hour and they also served up hot dogs and chips that night. That was a pleasant surprise considering eating out with a family of 5 on vacation can get a little expensive. Overall this was a very nice hotel and we got a lot of bang for our buck. The one downfall was the soda machine was out of Mt Dew in bottles so I had to settle for a can.