“Good location with some great rooms some accessibility issue”

Comfort Suites Canal Park
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Tucson, Arizona
“Good location with some great rooms some accessibility issue”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Duluth and Canal Park are incredibly scenic any time of the year. This hotel is next to the ship canal and Aerial Lift Bridge. Bring a coat or sweater though as the wind off that big blue icebox can be brisk. One caution It can also be a long walk to breakfast for handicapped travelers. Their second entrance for handicapped travelers has an elevator and ramp but no door opener leaving people on crutches or in a wheelchair to struggle or detour a long long way there should be a keypad down lower on the porch support with a door opener to make this a good stay.

Room Tip: If you need an accessible room call the hotel and talk to them directly to request assistance but be...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We really appreciate your feedback--our hotel is currently undergoing several changes in order to improve our accessibility and make traveling more convenient for all of our guests. Unfortunately, we are unable to guarentee specific room numbers as you mentioned, but we are able to guarentee accessible rooms if one is needed. Our front desk staff is more than happy to answer any questions that you may have regarding any room type. We are constantly working towards making our hotel better, and hope that on your next visit you will see some great changes!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 April 2012 via mobile

Ive stayed next door to this property many times and have always been curious about the Comfort Suites. We were only staying one not so we tried it out. We had the standard room with no view and two beds. The room seemed very crowded for myself and two small kids. The pool is very small but ok for kids. The breakfast is pretty standard. If I was here longer I'd for sure get one of the rooms with a lakefront balcony.

Stayed April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! Our lakeview balcony rooms are a great choice when staying several nights--especially with the warmer weather coming (hopefully!) soon. Those rooms are also a bit more spacious, and may work better to accomodate your family if needing some extra room to spread out. We appreciate you trying out out our hotel, and hope to see you again soon!
Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Went to Duluth to watch the ice come off the lake. Went up with no reservations or even research for a hotel. Stopped into Comfort Suites, got a room with a view and was totally impressed with the room. Having the extra room that the suites do, made having friends visit (even with there children) very enjoyable. I'd stay here again!!!

1 Thank Diane319
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our hotel! I'm so glad to hear that we were able to accomodate you on your trip to Duluth. Lake Superior in the winter is quite a site to see; the ice buildups are amazing! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This hotel is obviously in a great location, but what sets it apart from its neighbors is the price. I was able to get a city view room for $99 per night which is an outstanding value for the area and is why I ultimately chose this hotel over it's next door neighbor, which happens to be my preferred Canal Park hotel. The staff here didn't seem overly friendly, but that's not that big of a deal for me personally. One thing that bugged me just a little was that the housekeeping staff starts knocking on doors and vacuuming hallways earlier than any hotel I've stayed at, which was a little annoying and I did notice one housekeeper blaring the radio in a room while cleaning early in the morning with the door open. I think it was a tad disrespectful to the surrounding rooms, but I can certainly understand listening to some music while cleaning.

Although I still think I prefer the next door neighbor, the Comfort Suites does give you more bang for your buck and is a better value. The hotel common areas and rooms do seem to be showing their age a little, but the hotel is well kept and clean. I'm sure the suites in the newer addition are amazing, but my room was in the older part of the hotel and it showed. Especially in the bathroom and on some of the furniture. Overall, it was a nice clean room though. One thing I will point out, as others have mentioned, is that the 2 queen beds are a little tight between the room divider and exterior wall, but it was nice having a sofa in the room so I didn't mind that at all.

I did not use the pool, but members of my group did and had a good time. The breakfast area is really big and the breakfast is plentiful. The hotel bacon was nasty, but everything else was pretty good for a free hotel breakfast.

I would definitely stay here again if I am trying to save a little money and if I can get another great rate, but if money wasn't my deciding factor, I would probably stay at the Inn next door, or perhaps try one of the newer suites.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel and you will not regret staying here one bit.

Room Tip: Save money by getting a city view room. You can go outside and look at the lake!
2 Thank AdamH06
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I do apologize for the loud music and early vacuuming, however. I've addressed the issue with our staff, and would like to assure you that it won't happen again. Our new addition is wonderful--the balconies are a great way to enjoy the lake! The main section our hotel is a good value; I'm glad that you agree. With the breakfast area overlooking the lake, it's tough not to enjoy a cup of coffee and good book! We appreciate your kind review, and hope that you will choose to stay with us in the future!
Browerville, MN
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Enjoyed this hotel located on Lake Superior. Personnel at front desk very friendly and helpful. Didn't pay extra to have a view of the lake, but was pleased with our room. The hot breakfast was great with lots of variety. The hotel is within walking distance of the DECC, so we didn't have to pay for parking. There are lots of restaurants and shops right outside the front door. There's a wonderful walking path along the lake. Sure would like to be able to get reservations here the third weekend of June - Grandma's Marathon weekend! Only bad comments: the rooms are not real sound proof and one of the queen beds we had was placed right up against a small room divider; if two adults were sleeping in that bed, it would have been difficult to get out without disturbing someone.

Room Tip: One pays more for a north room facing Lake Superior, but the south side rooms are nice, too. The ho...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Comfort Suites Canal Park is a great value. Very comfortable large room
that works for families. Breakfast area is spacious and looks
out on the lake. Excellent breakfast. Staff is friendly and exceedingly helpful. We forgot
an item in the room and they were already in the process of sending
to our home when I called. Great location, within walking distance of
all the canal area attractions. I would definitely return to comfort suites
for our next family trip!

3 Thank 13Lisa13
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thanks for your review! I'm so glad to hear that our hotel worked well for your family. Our breakfast area has a prime view of the lake--it's only made better by our outstanding breakfast staff. I'm happy to hear that we were able to ship your missing item out to you, and that you will be returning on your next Duluth visit! We look forward to seeing you again.
Minnesota
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I have stayed here several times. There is a caveat, one side has hotel rooms and then there is the newer "Suite" side. That is where we have stayed the last 3 times we were in Duluth. We always ask for the same room, 3rd floor with a balcony. Great views, lovely room, quiet, air conditioned, lovely King size bed. Nice happy hour, breakfast is decent and does the trick. Love the room colors and the decor. I also love to sit on the balconey and eatch the workd go by. Very nice for a Comfort Suites. We are already planning a trip back this Spring and Summer. We will ask for "our" room again. We have no need to go anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you so much for taking a moment to review our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you are a repeat guest, and have a room that you like to call your own. We definitely strive to make the Comfort Suites Canal Park a home away from home. The newer addition of our hotel is fantastic--you can't beat having a balcony overlooking the lake, that's for sure! Our main section of the hotel offers the same amenities as the balcony suites, but with window views instead. This coming fall and winter we are going to be starting some renovation projects on our main building. While they still will not have the balcony, they will be receiving a great "face lift!" Again, thanks for your feedback! We'll see you soon!