Comfort Suites Canal Park
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewslift bridgegreat locationwafflescanal parkclosest hotellake viewwithin walking distancethe breakfast areabalcony roomking suitefree appetizerssitting arealake superiormaritime museumgreat roomexcellent breakfastthird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2014

It has been several years since my last stay. This time I was here with my husband, meeting his Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin who also stayed at the Suites. We were allowed to choose which floor, and went for the top, stating we would like the best view possible that was available. We had arrived first, and were a little disappointed that our room was further away from the canal than our relatives who arrived later. I guess we should have been more specific in our definition of view. I think being as close to the canal as possible offers the best view. Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong looking out onto the lake. We enjoyed walking down by the pier, took in the free museum, watched some ships come in and out and then had dinner together at Grandma's (see separate review). The next morning we enjoyed the bountiful breakfast, choosing to eat outside on the patio overlooking the lake. Can't get much better than that! It is a bit pricey, but you pay for the location.

Room Tip: Water side, closest to the canal as possible. If you can swing it, they have balcony rooms available closest to the canal.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for returning to the Comfort Suites Canal after so many years of being away. I am sorry that we couldn't have you and your relatives all together. We do our best to accommodate all requests but are often in a position when we are so full that we have to priorities. But I am glad that you enjoyed the view. We hope that you won't stay away so long this next time!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Has been going down hill. Very average service, very poor room cleaning, high price, great location. Lots of hallway noise. Crowded breakfast area and average quality. Very late room cleaning. Look around for other options.

Room Tip: Lake side, second floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would like to discuss with you your experience while at the hotel. We certainly try not to have just "average" service and if you feel that we did not meet your expectation, we need to make it up to you. Please call me at the hotel and ask for the general manager. Remind me of your posting on here and let's see what we can do to make a much better experience for you in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Not many problems here. Quite area on 3rd floor back side away from kids/pool. Breakfast is typical cont breakfast. Toasters need to be REPLACED!!! Way to slow. I heard many people complain that they waited so long for toast to come up. I really do think they can afford another FASTer toaster. Mine at home does the job in about 2 mins and I think it cost less than $30. Fridge/Micro in rooms. Beds comfy. Never used the pool so I can't comment on that. All else good.

Room Tip: Most quite on 3rd floor back side away from pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Tom. Thank you for commenting on Trip Advisor. It sounds like you had a nice stay while with us. I'm sorry about the slow toasters. We could speed up the track on the toaster but then I am afraid that some folks wouldn't be happy with their bread not being toasted enough. We will see if we can make any adjustments to the one we have to speed it up a bit. We hope you will come again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Room 359 exceeded my expectations. The view was fabulous! We could see the lift bridge when lying in our bed! The wrap around third floor balcony provided views of Lake Superior, the canal, the harbor, the bay and more! We could watch the boats going through the canal. Awesome! The two sided fireplace was very nice. The breakfast was very good. We definitely will consider staying in that room again!

It would've been nice to have wine glasses available but their washing facility does not handle this glassware. The evening wine bar had only one snack choice so very limited.

Room Tip: Look for a wrap around balcony facing the canal.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ben2613
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for the wonderful comments on Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you loved your room with the balcony, Jacuzzi tub, fireplace, and spectacular view of the Aerial Lift Bridge. It is extremely fun to watch the huge ore ships pass through under the bridge as they go and leave the Duluth Harbor. We look forward to having you with us again the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

For value, convenience and close to many attractions in Duluth this is a great place to stay. Reserve early. The breakfast is outstanding. Very close to lake walk and aerial lift bridge and nearby good restruants.

Room Tip: Lake view room on an upper floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Don C

Thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs while in Duluth! Our hotel certainly is at the center of it all. We are walking distance to all the local attractions and some of the best restaurants around! Of course, shopping is a delight for all in Canal Park. We look forward to seeing you again.