“Fabulous rooms, food, and atmosphere!” 5 of 5 bubbles

A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Twin Cities, MN
“Fabulous rooms, food, and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We came up for a two night stay and wish we had more time to spend there. The house was very neat and clean with a cozy atmosphere. There are many places both inside and out where you can relax or read a good book. Tim and Angie have taken much time and care to make each room comfortable, clean and charming. Each room has its own bathroom and some even have a hot tub! The breakfast is something you would find at a high end restaurant and you will be full! Tim and Angie are very friendly and helpful, they truly enjoy what they do.
I highly recommend this place and we look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed in many B & Bs. We've seen only one that rivals the Thomson House for the comfort of the home. We've stayed in none that rival the hosts for how welcomed they made us feel.

Tim and Angie run a superb place. It's beautifully decorated and immaculately kept. From the flower beds that greet you on the front lawn (no small task in Duluth, I imagine) to the shining period fixtures and claw-foot tub in the (larger than usual for B & B) room's bath, we were pleased again and again by their attention to detail.

We were there for eight days. Each morning, they served us a different and delicious two-course breakfast. You'll ask for recipes. That's just the beginning when it comes to their service. The coffee is good and abundant. Cookies are good and fresh every afternoon. Afternoon wine is nice touch. Soda, bottled water, juice, all available, all the time. And, a bit unusual for a B & B, they have wi-fi access. So, if you need to conduct a little business (as we did), you can. Believe me, Tim and Angie will help.

If you're looking for a B & B in Duluth, I don't need to comment on the inn's general location. But, I'll do so gratuitously: my wife and I love Duluth. It's a quirky, fun town with ubiquitous and gorgeous views of the lake, great restaurants, good parks...okay, sorry, I'm not with the convention and visitor's bureau, I swear. Speaking more specifically, the Thomson house is in a great location. The neighborhood is extraordinarily handsome. You have a lake view from several (most? all?) rooms. You're walking distance to Blackwoods restaurant. And, you're a short drive to all Duluth (and for that matter, the north shore) has to offer.

So, simply put, the A.G. Thomson house is well worth the money. My wife and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
agt2007, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 August 2009
You two are amazing; thank you so much! It really felt like our family left when you went home, but we are thrilled we will get to see you frequently in the future! The sign in our living room is there for a reason - "Enter as strangers, Leave as friends." Thank you again - we will see you again soon!
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

What a delightful inn and more importantly delightful and thoughtful hosts. From the moment we arrived Angie and Tim went out of their way to make us feel like part of the family. A lovely inn; we really enjoyed the Ryerson suite. Very convenient location with excellent views. And the breakfasts are heavenly! A great place for a romantic getaway. Tim and Angie also provide great recommendations for restaurants, sites and stories about the history of the inn and Duluth. Can't say enough great things...wait did I mention the fresh chocolate cookies in the afternoon...melt in your mouth delicious.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
agt2007, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
We can't thank you enough for spending time with us while visiting your family. It was wonderful getting to know you, and thank you, thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to try it and add some flavor with Dylan history to our recipe lineup! We hope we'll see you again!
Saint Paul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

From the moment we were greeted upon arriving, we knew this was going to be a memorable experience. The grounds and house are beautiful and Tim and Angie extremely gracious and hospitable hosts. We stayed in the Lake Superior suite which was perfect - fireplace, jacuzzi, comfortable bed, kitchen, and living area. The breakfasts were fantastic. My husband and I stayed there for a week after our wedding and would stay another week if we could. This is the best bed and breakfast I've ever stayed in and can't wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you guys!! We really enjoyed having you stay with us for your honeymoon, and look forward to seeing you as soon as you can get away again! And I'm glad that breakfast each morning was new - 5 days is a challenge, and then I had 8 right after!! Keeps life interesting and fun!!! Anyway, thanks again for choosing us to as the place to spend the beginning of your new lives together!
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect weekend! Angie and Tim are wonderful innkeepers. They were kind enough to allow us to hold a private wedding ceremony in the garden area. We stayed two nights in the Lake Superior Suite, which was amazing! It was very comfortable, clean, and well kept. It had all the amenities you could ask for and more! We really enjoyed the jacuzzi bath and private deck. And the breakfast was to die for! We can't wait to return in the future!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks again you two for choosing us for your ceremony. It was so very lovely - the setting you chose to exchange your vows couldn't have been better, along with a beautiful day! Our best wishes - you are a wonderful couple and we hope we'll see you again soon!
dallas tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the AG Thompson House for 3 nights. It was absolutely amazing!! The food was the best i have ever had. Tim and Angie were wonderful as well. I would recommend this bed and breadfast to everyone. In fact, it has more amenities then any five star hotel I have ever stayed at in the many countries I have visited. Thanks again Tim and Angie. My girlfriend and I had a great time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so happy you enjoyed your getaway before returning overseas - please be careful! It was wonderful meeting you both and sharing northern Minnesota with Texas - the weather held true to form! Thank you again, and come back to Minnesota and visit us again!
minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

My fiance-now-husband and I decided pretty short-noticed that we wanted to plan a getaway for the two of us to get married, and I had looked at bed and breakfasts in Duluth on the internet and fell in love with the AG Thomson House, the Lake Superior Suite, the pictures really capture their rooms an the atmosphere of the place. I was able to make my plans without even calling because I looked at their calendar online of availability.

When I did call to book the room, Angie was so kind and so willing to help with any questions I had to make our stay the best. She even sent me a link to the courthouse web site to see a picture of the outside because I mentioned I had thought we might go there for the ceremony. I felt like I was talking to an aunt or sister. She didn't make me feel guilty or give me a hard time because I was only booking two days in advance.

The day we checked in, Tim showed us around like we were family, like we were the only guests there. We were completely blown away by the room/house/property, while the pictures were incredible online - the actual property was far beyond what I expected, right down to the last detail - the chocolate truffles on the bed, the history of the place, even the way the sheets and blankets on the bed smelled was heavenly (although the jacuzzi bathtub was my favorite, very relaxing!!).

We had the justice of the peace come to the room and we had the ceremony right outside in the yard by the beautiful lilac bushes. My mom and dad came as our whitnesses, and my mom used her camera just taking pictures of us around the property and they turned out better than a professional photographer. The small field of daisies by the driveway, the front porch and steps of the house, even the flowers in the front yard provided us with the most beautiful wedding pictures I could have ever imagined, and it was all such a laid back and comfortable, stress-free environment. There was even a congratulations card and a bottle of champagne waiting in our room from them when we returned to our room from dinner, which was really special to us.

The breakfast Angie made and Tim served in the morning was better than a five-star restaurant, and it was all made by hand with care. Every single detail of our trip, even though it was only one day, was so perfect I couldnt have asked for anything better. I wished we could have stayed for an eternity.

Tim and Angie really treated us like family, like old friends, and we feel so grateful they provided us with the perfect, most beautiful and captivating place to stay and everything we had not thought of or forgotten (flowers for the bride, picked right out of the garden!), we will be going back every year on our anniversary if we can to one of the most special places I've ever been! Thanks Tim and Angie!!!
Mr. and Mrs. Kyle Linnett

• 5 of 5 bubbles
agt2007, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
Mr. and Mrs. Linnett!! Thank you so much for your kind words - we are overwhelmed and so grateful you found our Inn to be such a special place for your intimate ceremony. It was a first for us and we were very humbled and grateful to be a part of it. We wish you all the happiness in the world and look forward to seeing you on future visits. Thank you again!