TownePlace Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Eagan
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Eagan
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at the TownePlace Suites while we visited our family in Inver Grove Heights. The hotel had very good service beginning with the airport shuttle. The airport shuttle operates 24 hours a day to MSP Airport and also operates Mall of America runs between the opening and closing hours of the mall. Just heads up that the hotel is an Airport hotel, so the shuttle may stop at airline crew buildings on the way to Mall of America. Very convenient for any family that has kids or a wife that enjoys shopping. The hotel is an older version of TownePlace Suites, roughly ten years old; but is well-maintained. There is a shopping center nearby (10-minute walk), a Chili's (walking distance), and SuperAmerica gas station (walking distance) near the hotel. The hotel is really nice and I would probably add that to one of my top places to stay in the Twin Cities! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank flyboy12684

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Eagan is very convenient to the Airport/Mall of America and St Paul. We usually stay at the Residence Inn a little way up I35 E. However, they had no vacancy for the 3 nights we needed a hotel (Twins/Vikings & State Fair were all on that weekend). TownePlace Suites is at the bottom end of Marriott's suite of suite hotels - no hot breakfast , some properties no in room WiFi (see my review of TownePlace Birmingham, Homewood, AL). This property had in room WiFi and was well kept, the rooms had undergone some updating, kitchen was more than adequate for our needs. Breakfast was cereal, fruit and yogurt etc to take to your room. The rates were reasonable considering that it was a very busy weekend in the Twin Cities (the rate changed during our stay and I had to get creative to get the best rate. If I had booked the 3 nights we stayed as one stay it would have been $119 per night. I booked the weekend special for Saturday & Sunday night for $89 and a separate booking for Monday night at the $119 rate).

The Hotel is very convenient for every kind of chain restaurant and grocery store and also for some reason many many car fixit places. It is a 10 to 15 minute drive to the Airport or the MoA although the hotel and adjacent property has an airport shuttle if needed.

We would definitely stay at the Towneplace Suites again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mspaddler
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We've stayed twice at the TownePlace Suites in Eagan, most recently in July of 2011. Our experience has been quite good both times. In our most recent stay, the hotel has added a light continental breakfast to the services available with our stay.

We found the beds comfortable and the rooms were very quiet, especially if you request a room on the upper (fourth) floor. Our kids used the small outdoor pool one evening and had a great time.

We enjoyed our stay at the TownePlace Suites in Eagan and will recommend this property to others.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floor to keep your stay quiet
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NotEnoughMaps
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We booked a room here through Hotwire. When we first arrived, my DH went to the front desk to ask for a crib for our 11-month old. The front desk attendant informed him that they didn't have any cribs. When we got up to the room the first thing we noticed was the howling wind. It was mid-40s outside and windy so not weather where you want to have the windows open. I went over to the window to assess the problem and noticed that the window wasn't latched. I tried to latch the window but it wouldn't shut enough to be able to do that. I also noticed on the brochure on the coffee table that stated that Towne Place Suites makes traveling with small children easy by offering cribs. So my husband went back downstairs to the front desk to find out if they could move us to another room where the windows actually shut and to inform the front desk clerk that they were supposed to have cribs.

The clerk said that she would let maintenance know about the window and apologized for not having a crib. She suggested that we use the sofabed for our infant. (Really? How unsafe is that?) My DH asked her when maintenance might be arriving. Tomorrow? he asked. Probably, she said. My DH then asked her to call the SpringHill next door to ask them for a crib (He figured they were owned by the same company since they shared a parking lot and a shuttle van). They had one and brought it over an hour later (we had to go down and get it).

The towels in the bathroom were very thin and dingy and there were only two towels (despite having a queen and a sofabed--there should have been 3 towels).

On the plus side, the shower had good water pressure and the bed was very comfortable.

We were just very surprised at this Marriott property. While we realize that this was a budget Marriott, they pride themselves on customer service. This place is seriously lacking.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ajazz8
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed from Sept. 17-19th for a weekend from Wisconsin. I was touring colleges and looking for a place by the Mall. This place isn't very close to the mall at all but there is a lot of stores around. We got in our room and loved all of the space, very open layout. We then found the TV remote didn't work, the phone didn't work, and the dresser in one of the bedrooms was too big and going into the doorway blocking it from closing. We called down and they told us that they would send up an "engineer" to fix the TV and remote, and that the dresser was one of the "defects" of the room. (It's not a defects, this idiots measured wrong and they need to order smaller dressers.) The wall and dresser is all beat up from the door banging on it. The "engineer" came and told us that the reason our TV and remote didn't work is because we had a remote in our room from the hotel across the street. He said "you're only staying for 2 days so...." (acting like we didn't need it fixed) and we told him they needed to fix it. He brought us a new flatscreen TV which was a big upgrade from the 20 year old fuzzy thing originally in there. But THIS TIME the volume on the remote and TV didn't work so it is stuck at one level which is kind of loud. When the phone was fixed (apparently the cord was bad) there was messages on it from pervious guests on it.
In all, if you looking for a big room for your family but don't mind situations this hotel is for you. If you want a stressless weekend count this one out!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I spent 3 weeks at this hotel on a field assignment for work and while I have mixed feelings about my stay all in all this is a pretty decent hotel.

The Good:

Location: The Interstate exit this hotel is at is huge with tons of businesses, just about anything you need, shopping, food, office supply, bank, grocery, auto service, etc, etc is within a short distance from this hotel. There are at least 3 auto services within walking distance so if your car were sick this would be a place to consider. There is also an Urgent Care Clinic next door so if you were sick you'd be covered there as well.

Price/Value: My daily rate was less then $60 which was a pretty fair price and decent value for what I received.

Staff: The mostly Spanish speaking housekeeping staff do an outstanding job here. The front desk folks were also always nice, helpful and professional.

The Exercise Room: It was small but nice. There is an elliptical, treadmill and some dumbells and a bench, more then enough to get a decent workout.

The Average:

The room: The room was pretty good sized, very clean and reasonably comfortable, however, this property was built in the 1990's and appears it hasn't seen many upgrades since then. The one upgrade it did have was a nice desk/workstation and a large table that could be moved around and used for different purposes but those are not in every room. The kitchen was very handy but the dishwasher was ancient and rather useless since it didn't get the dishes clean.

The Lousy:

The Internet: If your work requires heavy Internet usage I'd recommend staying elsewhere. The free Internet speeds were very poor, about 300Kbps, and worthless for streaming video. You had the option of purchasing higher speeds but it was quite expensive. Also, there is no wireless, only wired Ethernet, so if your connecting multiple machines you'll need to bring a router along.

The TV: As someone else mentioned the TV is old, tiny and has an awful picture. Luckily there is a Redbox about a minutes walk from the hotel so we often picked up movies and watched them on our laptop. Don't bother with the in hotel movies they are ridiculously expensive, around $15 for the same movie you can get from Redbox for a buck.

The Water: I despise hotels with water softeners and the water there is very heavily softened and slimy.

The Laundry Room: The laundry room was dirty, the dryers didn't work well and one washing machine was broken the entire 3 weeks I was there.

Overall this is a pretty decent place and IMO far superior to the Homestead Extended Stay hotel in Eagan for the same price just don't expect an upscale hotel because it's not, it's really more of a budget hotel then anything else.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2009

In October 2009, my husband and I made the colossal move from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Edmonton, Alberta. With us were our cat in a carrier and our Great Pyrenees (stuck in the back seat of a Honda Civic, poor guy).

I was trying to find us something not too shabby but not too expensive that took pets, and this place was great. I also wanted a spot not too far from downtown St. Paul, as-- diehard genealogist that I am, I wanted to squeeze in a few hours research at the historical society before we left the Midwest. Mission accomplished! Due to thhe convenient location of the hotel it was a straight shot down the highway, and with my Mapquest map I was all set.

This place was great. Comfortable and cozy. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Chili's was right next door, so we grabbed takeout from there, and the pets had plenty of room to relax for the night. I have no complaints. There is a Starbucks across the highway, so you can also refuel before hitting the highway again the next morning.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple