“The staff is great but the hotel is terrible!”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Eagan
Reviewed 24 March 2014

First, the staff at this hotel is excellent; the problems are with the hotel itself.

For several years there have been signs up that say improvements are in progress but in the last four years they have actually done very little. Internet access was improved, light fixtures were put up in front of the elevators that don't match anything else in the lobby area and larger TVs were put in the rooms and that's about it.

The lobby, bar and restaurant are dark and dated, in fact the dining room is depressing. The chairs in the dining room are too low for the tables and they feel like the bottom will fall out any minute, The dining room is covered in heavy dark red fabrics and it feels like the dust will fly if you touch anything (drapes, carpet, upholstery, etc.). Even with the breakfast buffet included in my room rate I usually skip it, last time I tried it the eggs were rubbery and the biscuits were as hard as hockey pucks. Overall the dining options are uninspired and, though the food is good, I don't believe the lunch/dinner menu has been updated in years. If you are looking for healthy options, eat elsewhere.

The guest rooms are dated and not well maintained. Several times there have been plumbing problems with the bathroom in my room. The heating/cooling units (the old kind that are located under the window) are very loud. On my last stay there was peeling wall paper in the bathroom and the closet door seemed to be an afterthought, rough wood that didn't match anything else (furniture, doors, etc.). Some rooms have refrigerators and microwaves but others don't, you just don't know what you'll get. I understand there is one room with a king size bed but the others have queen size beds only so forget staying here for anything other than a business trip if you like comfort. The fabrics on the sofas and chairs are old, dark, and stained.

As I said, the people who work at the hotel are truly dedicated and are always more than helpful. There's also a handy shuttle service to the airport and the Mall of America.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, they have two windows and are larger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear clamrj,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards on room condition and public areas. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stay here at least once a year when flying out of MSP. Our first experience a four ago included one of the front desk employees giving us her parking spot as the lot was full and we were doing the Park and Fly. The service has never been below that standard. Helpful staff, great drivers, and decent prices (especially considering whenever we stay we leave a car....parking at MSP or a lot would be WAY more expensive and we like the convenience of heading up the night before a flight), and clean accommodations. It's easily our #1 'go to' hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

At check in Stephanie took great care in making sure everything was just right. She was very efficient and extremely pleasant. My room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. I was very pleased with the condition of the room and cleanliness. I have stayed here many times and keep coming back because the service is always good. And I can depend on a great stay. Breakfast in the restaurant was also very good service was excellent selection very good. Always nice to have a hotel you can depend on. Thanks Holiday Inn!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Front desk staff were helpful...however, still needs updating from our last stay in May 2012. Driver of shuttle is timely and friendly. Guy who found us a spot for park and fly was friendly too. We would stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Dakkin,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Eagan.

Joel B

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival I was greeted by the front desk staff. My checkin was fast and efficient. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. We got a great nights sleep. We did the park and fly package and used the shuttle to the airport. We were on time and treated very well. Before we went to the airport we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The food was great as was the service. I have stayed at this hotel several times and I keep coming back! Thanks!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Standard up to date rooms with actual HD TV. What was most notable was the service in the hotel bar. You are greeted like a regular and if you stay for day two, you will actually feel like a regular.
When away, a nice homey type of pub really adds to your comfort and a good night sleep.
Hotel has a shuttle that will take you to airport or Mall of America and pick you up.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mspfurnace
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Eagan for one night for business. For some reason the hotel accidentally charged my credit card for over $50 of incidentals. I was never informed of this charge until I noticed it on my credit card statement. After several un-returned calls I finally got in touch with a manager who admitted there was a mistake and would have the charges reimbursed. There was no apology and after a week I still a haven't had the charges reimbursed.The hotel's complete lack of assistance or concern was very unprofessional. The hotel itself was in a good location but was rather old and outdated. The front desk staff and managers were less than professional. I will never return to this hotel. This experience was completely unacceptable for this level of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear CorpTravel1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eagan
Hampton Inn Minneapolis / Eagan
Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Eagan
Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagan/St Paul
Sonesta ES Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area? Share your experiences!