“CALM & PEACEFUL STAY”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Eagan
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I along with my husband came for a Minneapolis trip and stayed in this hotel for one day. This is in the out skirt of the crowded Minneapolis and the food joints were also on just ten mins drive from the hotel.
This was a calm place to stay in. Felt relaxed after the tiring city visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neha K

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a lot going for itself, but the staff continually shoot itself in the foot. I merely needed a comfortable Saturday night stay (5/31) and as promised on its website and by staff, reliable shuttle from Mall of America to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport.

The bed was comfortable and the room seems like it had been fairly recently renovated. But it was an ordeal to actually get into my room.

Let me explain. I had a very short trip (Saturday afternoon to earlu Sunday a.m.) and started out at Mall of America, staff insisted that pickups in the evening were only exactly at 810 and 1010. I planned around that and even called at 845 p.m. for 1010 pickup. The front desk person actually gave me the wrong pickup location at MOA (the OLD shuttle location) and when I was out there at 940, the Holiday Inn van was leaving. So I waited for 1010 in a very uncomfortable area (very hot humid sweating through my clothes). Then at 1015 I called the hotel for status - unapologetic front desk person told me to wait another 8-10 minutes (which is exactly how long it takes to get from hotel to the mall). In other words they forgot the van I reserved in the first place...the driver (seemed annoyed) upon pickup at 1035 complained about the front desk person. Also tip jar w $5 bill facing me seemed pandering (especially to someone in bad mood).

Then I get to the hotel exhausted & dehydrated....the front desk person was basically indifferent and not very efficient based on.my interactions. She took forever to check me in, puzzling as my room should already have been set aside as I am rewards club member AND called at 5pm to alert I'd be late. Then she went into a song and dance to ask if I really needed the room type that I reserved - and proceeded to assign me a lesser room "because you don't need it anyhow."

As part of check-in, she apparently was incapable of scanning my credit card and applying it to pay for my stay, and instead billed my stay to the reservation credit card. I have proof as the credit authorization hold is to the correct credit card, and the hotel charges are to the reservation credit card. The final bill slipped under my door did not state which credit card it was billed, I assumed it would be correct. Fortunately both credit cards can accept the charge.

The front desk person also talked down to me about how my water was complimentary being a rewards club member when I tried to buy a bottle, as if she was doing me a favor (wasn't going to offer it!), and also warned me that I better be on time for the shuttle (doh, I travel lots and deal with lots of shuttles in order to be on time for flights).

Adding to my exasperating evening was my attempt to print my boarding pass in the business center. Of course only one of the two computers is actually connected to a printer...but not stated. Really? Another 15 minutes wasted until I figured it out.

So therefore instead of basically getting in bed by 1030 (615 am flight), I basically lost an hour of sleep thanks to the MOA shuttle, the crappy check in, and business center.

Other than a comfortable bed and the exceptional shuttle driver on early Sunday morning the 1st, I really don't have very fond memories of this hotel experience.

Great location with bad execution....this hotel has lots of potential - could be a very good Holiday Inn but has issues right now. If I stay near MSP again, I would be reluctant to stay at this hotel and would probably consider Four Points Sheraton or something similar.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FairmindedTraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear FairmindedTraveler,

Thank you for posting a detailed review of your experience. It seems that some difficulties you had with transportation and check in prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We are sorry the business center did not live up to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience these aspects have caused. As one of our valued IHG rewards members we take the confidence you place in us very seriously and and try our best to rectify unsatisfactory experiences.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Missed our flight home and did not want to spend night at airport. Found this hotel through Hotwire.com. It was a very clean hotel in a very nice area near the airport. Desk staff was very helpful and check in time was very quick, since we were both really tired. The room was big and was very clean, with newly updated rooms. The bed was very comfortable, the best nights sleep I had in the past five days of our trip. I did not have a toothbrush so the front desk was very nice in supplying me with a new one. We went down to the restaurant which was still open at 9:00 pm, waitress was very friendly and the food tasted very good.
The shuttle was prompt in picking us up at the airport and right on time to take us back to the airport the next day. If ever back in Minneapolis I would stay at this Holiday Inn the rates were very reasonable. I would recommend it to anyone who is staying near the airport or just want a nice area in Minneapolis to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 day vacation my husband, me & the two kids. Husband went to the Nike Basketball clinic while we swam & shopped. So many wonderful things about this hotel, I'll try to comment on some of them.

My number 1 favorite thing at this hotel was the staff. There wasn't anywhere we went in the hotel that we weren't greeted with a smile and a hello. Even though the hotel was packed, they made us feel very welcome & important to them!!

Check-in was a breeze. They forgot a set of our free breakfast coupons, but a call down to the front desk & it was taken care of promptly. They had them delivered to our door within 20 mins. Whole building was clean & smelled clean. Rooms were nice.

We went to the pool first thing, not a huge pool, but good sized, not overly deep either. Water was warm, hot tub was actually hot. The second day they actually drained & cleaned the hot tub & then cleaned the filters in the pool (maintenance man was extremely nice). When we left on the 5th day, they were doing it again, which was awesome to know that the water was actually being changed & cleaned.

The shuttle to the MOA leaves every hour on the hour & picks up from the mall at 10 mins after the hour. You do have to call when you want pickup from the mall, but that wasn't a big deal. Shuttle drivers were all very friendly and tried to answer any questions we had. Most of the time we were the only ones using the shuttle which was nice as there were some shuttles that had too many riders for each pickup.

We went to the breakfast buffet (free with our room), it was wonderful. Greeted by very nice employees. The food was amazing for a free buffet. It had scrambled eggs w/cheese, bacon, sausage, Belgian waffles, awesome fruit, oatmeal, American fries w/peppers, and then alternated French toast & biscuits & gravy. Also had coffee, tea, milk, OJ & flavored water.

The only con I had was the beds were hard, but overall it was probably one of the best stays I've had in awhile, we will definitely be staying here again when we go to Minneapolis!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariann B
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This Holiday Inn is proof that the chain is working to improve its facilities. Unlike a couple of hotels in this chain that I've stayed in over the last couple of years, this Eagan inn is upgrading and sprucing up.
The lobby, while not large is attractive, and there is an adjoining sitting area that is very inviting. The rooms are updated with granite counter tops in the bathroom, new bedding, and a bright, airy feel. Note that the rooms with two beds do not have an easy chair, only the desk chair.
The dining room and bar are comfortable and roomy. If you book with a 3rd party such as Hotwire, breakfast is not included in your stay. However, the breakfast buffet is $10.99 (and includes coffee, a $2.00 charge if you don't get the buffet) and is better than most free breakfasts at other hotels.
My only issues were with the overcrowded parking lot and the slow elevators....both a result of the convenience and popularity of this hotel. And note that if you want two beds, you must check in early as they seem to be in short supply.

Room Tip: If you need two beds in a room, it's best to check in early as they seem to be in short supply.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is the hotel I always stay at when leaving from the MSP airport. It is the most economical of the park and fly hotels in the area. Easy to get to. (also my GPS always thinks its on the other side of the street..) Very convenient park and fly with shuttle to and from the airport. Never had an unsatisfactory stay. Staff is friendly. Food is great in the hotel restaurant. Rooms are fairly updated and nice. Comfortable beds and pillows. Never utilized the pool or other amentities so I can't speak for that.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I spent six days in a two week period at this hotel and I was satisfied with my stay. It is undergoing some renovation and I think it needs it. The hotel was clean but did not look so at first glance. I was a little disappointed in the recognition I received as a IHG platinum member. I know that upgrades are "if available ", but I would have thought that an offer to move me to a better room during my two week stay could have been made. I have to work in my room in the evening so extra space would have been very appreciated.I was also very disappointed in how long it took to get my receipt to me. The computer was down the day I checked out and was promised that I would have the bill by next day. I got it four days later and only after I called to inquire about it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear svargasi,

Thank you for your feedback. As an IHG Rewards Platinum Member we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel. We are truly sorry for the conditions you experienced during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is regrettable your stay was negatively impacted by the renovation works at our hotel. We hope you will give an opportunity to welcome you in the future to show what we have done.
Thank you again for your comments.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eagan
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Eagan
SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Eagan
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Eagan - Minneapolis Area
Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Best Western Plus Dakota Ridge
Staybridge Suites Eagan-Mall Of America

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area? Share your experiences!