“Convenient Hotel for a Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area

Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Eagan
“Convenient Hotel for a Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I traveled to Minneapolis area for work and booked this hotel after struggling to find any hotels in the area at a rate my work would pay. I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. First, the staff was incredibly nice and efficient. The woman at the desk was able to point me in the direction of nearby areas to run. She also offered me bottled water upon check in on a hot and humid day. No complaints here.

I had the Executive Room, which was on the corner. The room was quiet from other guests (though I was at the end of the hall with only one room next to me, hence the corner). It was plenty big for one person and included a microwave and small fridge. The bed was comfortable and the sheets and bedding felt crisp and new. They are currently renovating by replacing hallway carpet. They appear to be just about finished, and it had no effect on my stay.

The hotel was conveniently located off Interstate 494. I didn't go into downtown Minneapolis, but I used my rental to go to St. Paul, and I was there in 15 minutes door to door. It was incredibly close. It was also a 5 minute drive to the Mall of America, and so close to the airport I could have jogged there. There was also plenty of parking even though the hotel was at full occupancy.

Highlights: really nice pool/hot tub area, decent gym to get the job done while away, cute and inviting outdoor patio area for evening sitting, nice and lively (but not too lively) bar with a hotel happy hour.

Cons (if you can even call them that???): my water pressure in my shower was lousy, but I think this was a problem with a leaky shower head. I told them upon checkout, and the front desk said they would have someone look at it. Didn't bother me though. There are hairdryers but NO HAIR CONDITIONER (ladies and long haired dudes, just remember to pack this!).

Airport noise: Some people have commented on this being loud, so I will weigh in. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper once I am asleep but struggle to fall asleep. It is an airport hotel next to an International Airport - yes, the planes fly overhead. But by that point, they are pretty high above you. From the 4th floor, yes I heard them. But it was more like moderate background noise. I live 3 blocks from an elevated subway in New York and hear that rattle through from a distance when I am home. If you are really fussy or used to living in a vacuum where there is complete silence - this may bother you. By and large, I don't think this would bother the average person.

Eagan - it is a suburb of industrial parks, so not much around. But it is conveniently situated to both cities, mall of America, and further suburbs. There are also a few restaurants nearby and shopping centers for anything you forgot (Walmart is down the road). The hotel is just off the highway exit.

I would recommend this location and stay here again. No frills, but definitely an above average experience. Good for business or family travel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AndieGirl5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stockbridge, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Ok so let's start at the front desk, there's a little lady behind the counter that thinks she's to good to wait on people. People 3 deep on right side of counter and she has nobody by her because she's "to busy to check people in". First name begins with an S. Then reservations tells me and others that the restaurant and bar are closed for renovation....nope they weren't. Quality has gone down hill. Will not be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear BigDannyBear,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I along with my husband came for a Minneapolis trip and stayed in this hotel for one day. This is in the out skirt of the crowded Minneapolis and the food joints were also on just ten mins drive from the hotel.
This was a calm place to stay in. Felt relaxed after the tiring city visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neha K
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a lot going for itself, but the staff continually shoot itself in the foot. I merely needed a comfortable Saturday night stay (5/31) and as promised on its website and by staff, reliable shuttle from Mall of America to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport.

The bed was comfortable and the room seems like it had been fairly recently renovated. But it was an ordeal to actually get into my room.

Let me explain. I had a very short trip (Saturday afternoon to earlu Sunday a.m.) and started out at Mall of America, staff insisted that pickups in the evening were only exactly at 810 and 1010. I planned around that and even called at 845 p.m. for 1010 pickup. The front desk person actually gave me the wrong pickup location at MOA (the OLD shuttle location) and when I was out there at 940, the Holiday Inn van was leaving. So I waited for 1010 in a very uncomfortable area (very hot humid sweating through my clothes). Then at 1015 I called the hotel for status - unapologetic front desk person told me to wait another 8-10 minutes (which is exactly how long it takes to get from hotel to the mall). In other words they forgot the van I reserved in the first place...the driver (seemed annoyed) upon pickup at 1035 complained about the front desk person. Also tip jar w $5 bill facing me seemed pandering (especially to someone in bad mood).

Then I get to the hotel exhausted & dehydrated....the front desk person was basically indifferent and not very efficient based on.my interactions. She took forever to check me in, puzzling as my room should already have been set aside as I am rewards club member AND called at 5pm to alert I'd be late. Then she went into a song and dance to ask if I really needed the room type that I reserved - and proceeded to assign me a lesser room "because you don't need it anyhow."

As part of check-in, she apparently was incapable of scanning my credit card and applying it to pay for my stay, and instead billed my stay to the reservation credit card. I have proof as the credit authorization hold is to the correct credit card, and the hotel charges are to the reservation credit card. The final bill slipped under my door did not state which credit card it was billed, I assumed it would be correct. Fortunately both credit cards can accept the charge.

The front desk person also talked down to me about how my water was complimentary being a rewards club member when I tried to buy a bottle, as if she was doing me a favor (wasn't going to offer it!), and also warned me that I better be on time for the shuttle (doh, I travel lots and deal with lots of shuttles in order to be on time for flights).

Adding to my exasperating evening was my attempt to print my boarding pass in the business center. Of course only one of the two computers is actually connected to a printer...but not stated. Really? Another 15 minutes wasted until I figured it out.

So therefore instead of basically getting in bed by 1030 (615 am flight), I basically lost an hour of sleep thanks to the MOA shuttle, the crappy check in, and business center.

Other than a comfortable bed and the exceptional shuttle driver on early Sunday morning the 1st, I really don't have very fond memories of this hotel experience.

Great location with bad execution....this hotel has lots of potential - could be a very good Holiday Inn but has issues right now. If I stay near MSP again, I would be reluctant to stay at this hotel and would probably consider Four Points Sheraton or something similar.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank FairmindedTraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear FairmindedTraveler,

Thank you for posting a detailed review of your experience. It seems that some difficulties you had with transportation and check in prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We are sorry the business center did not live up to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience these aspects have caused. As one of our valued IHG rewards members we take the confidence you place in us very seriously and and try our best to rectify unsatisfactory experiences.We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Missed our flight home and did not want to spend night at airport. Found this hotel through Hotwire.com. It was a very clean hotel in a very nice area near the airport. Desk staff was very helpful and check in time was very quick, since we were both really tired. The room was big and was very clean, with newly updated rooms. The bed was very comfortable, the best nights sleep I had in the past five days of our trip. I did not have a toothbrush so the front desk was very nice in supplying me with a new one. We went down to the restaurant which was still open at 9:00 pm, waitress was very friendly and the food tasted very good.
The shuttle was prompt in picking us up at the airport and right on time to take us back to the airport the next day. If ever back in Minneapolis I would stay at this Holiday Inn the rates were very reasonable. I would recommend it to anyone who is staying near the airport or just want a nice area in Minneapolis to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Trout Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 day vacation my husband, me & the two kids. Husband went to the Nike Basketball clinic while we swam & shopped. So many wonderful things about this hotel, I'll try to comment on some of them.

My number 1 favorite thing at this hotel was the staff. There wasn't anywhere we went in the hotel that we weren't greeted with a smile and a hello. Even though the hotel was packed, they made us feel very welcome & important to them!!

Check-in was a breeze. They forgot a set of our free breakfast coupons, but a call down to the front desk & it was taken care of promptly. They had them delivered to our door within 20 mins. Whole building was clean & smelled clean. Rooms were nice.

We went to the pool first thing, not a huge pool, but good sized, not overly deep either. Water was warm, hot tub was actually hot. The second day they actually drained & cleaned the hot tub & then cleaned the filters in the pool (maintenance man was extremely nice). When we left on the 5th day, they were doing it again, which was awesome to know that the water was actually being changed & cleaned.

The shuttle to the MOA leaves every hour on the hour & picks up from the mall at 10 mins after the hour. You do have to call when you want pickup from the mall, but that wasn't a big deal. Shuttle drivers were all very friendly and tried to answer any questions we had. Most of the time we were the only ones using the shuttle which was nice as there were some shuttles that had too many riders for each pickup.

We went to the breakfast buffet (free with our room), it was wonderful. Greeted by very nice employees. The food was amazing for a free buffet. It had scrambled eggs w/cheese, bacon, sausage, Belgian waffles, awesome fruit, oatmeal, American fries w/peppers, and then alternated French toast & biscuits & gravy. Also had coffee, tea, milk, OJ & flavored water.

The only con I had was the beds were hard, but overall it was probably one of the best stays I've had in awhile, we will definitely be staying here again when we go to Minneapolis!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mariann B
Oskaloosa, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This Holiday Inn is proof that the chain is working to improve its facilities. Unlike a couple of hotels in this chain that I've stayed in over the last couple of years, this Eagan inn is upgrading and sprucing up.
The lobby, while not large is attractive, and there is an adjoining sitting area that is very inviting. The rooms are updated with granite counter tops in the bathroom, new bedding, and a bright, airy feel. Note that the rooms with two beds do not have an easy chair, only the desk chair.
The dining room and bar are comfortable and roomy. If you book with a 3rd party such as Hotwire, breakfast is not included in your stay. However, the breakfast buffet is $10.99 (and includes coffee, a $2.00 charge if you don't get the buffet) and is better than most free breakfasts at other hotels.
My only issues were with the overcrowded parking lot and the slow elevators....both a result of the convenience and popularity of this hotel. And note that if you want two beds, you must check in early as they seem to be in short supply.

Room Tip: If you need two beds in a room, it's best to check in early as they seem to be in short supply.