“Hamburgers great, service and soup not so much”

Convention Grill & Fountain
Ranked #13 of 101 Restaurants in Edina
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Hamburgers great, service and soup not so much”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hamburgers are unbelievably awesome. However, our chicken soup wasn't even warm. We've had it here before and it was, previously, so good that we ordered a second bowl. The service was pretty substandard. Although not busy, the server totally forgot to put our hamburger order in.

• Visited June 2014

Eagan, Minnesota
“Revisit the 1950s!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hamburger joint is an institution in Edina and looks like it hasn't changed since the 1950s but I have been there enough to know simple upkeep has kept the look at a nice balance between old original but not grungy. The waitresses and cooks where the old time white uniforms of food preps and servers to complete the atmosphere.
It is a fun place with generously sized classic burgers, very good malts that are more than enough for two people, and incredible french fries. I don't normally eat fries, but these crispy skin-on fries are delicious and a 1/2 order is enough for 3-4 people who like to eat fries! Sit in a neat old booth in the back dining area. I like that area better than the front room where the grill and counter are. It is too crowded in the first room during busy regular meal times.

• Visited June 2014
“Best burger for only six bucks!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Its a quaint burger and fry plaace, hands down for the price cannot find a better one. Fries, lots of them easy 1/2 basket feeds four, malts delish. I go for the hot fudge it is their specialty, and as a sundae, wow top notch, server was not very good and it was during a slow tine

• Visited April 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
“A blast to the past”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

For years this place has delivered great old time malts and burgers. The fries are the best. The character of this place is a trip to the past that I like to remember. Waiters are always friendly and the place is usually full. Service is fast. Cost is low. Parking is free in the adjacent lot. If you like great burgers and a fun family experience head to Convention Grill.

• Visited June 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“please just wait on us...”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I recently had lunch with my family and I was so disappointed! We walked in to the restaurant and were not greeted by the numerous waitresses that were both sitting at the counter and ducking in to the back area - presumably to avoid customers. We stood by the entrance to the dining room and waited for someone to greet us - finally we stepped in to the room and a young woman asked if we would like to be seated - well yes - thank you. The food is standard fare for a burger and a malt - US Foods and Kemps ice cream. The bun seem superior it quality to all of the other food items. The burgers are made fresh and the fries are hand cut - but the unhappy staff that did not want to help us really put me off. When we paid at the register, I asked if there was a manager there - the woman who took our check said she was. She did not ask how our meal was, and when the phone rang, we were left to sign the credit card bill with out another word. Clearly there needs to be a wake up call for the staff - why are we in the Grill? Yes - to eat and have a good time. I don't think I have ever been to a place where the staff was more apathetic. The restaurant is dingy, the food certainly not better than average. We wont be back. A simple thank you would have meant a lot...

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Josh S

Been to Convention Grill & Fountain? Share your experiences!