“Pleasant hotel - clean, quiet and (relatively) cheap”

Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Elk River
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here about a week ago for a family wedding. We arrived around noon or 1 pm and they were able to let us into our room right away. We considered ourselves lucky because the normal check in time is supposed to be 4 pm. The room was fairly large for a hotel-type room. It had 2 Queen beds, a small refrig. and a microwave. The room was nicely appointed, clean, no marks on the wall and somewhat upscale.

Although we faced the highway, it was really pretty quiet in the room. I initially heard road noise but it largely went away when I properly re-latched the window. If you are likely to want to open the window, I would recommend making sure that you get a room on the left side of the building (as you are facing it when enterring).

There were a lot of people at the hotel who had kids who were using the water park. Lots of kids. We decided not to bother using the water park as we are at the age where we prefer quiet to screaming/happy and excited children. But if you have kids or don't really care to use the water park, I would not necessarily consider that a negative.

There were a number of restaurants nearby. There was also either a Walmart or Costco about a mile away.

We were on the second floor. When we were trying to check out and move our luggage, we had a slight issue with the elevator. We would call it and when the doors opened, it was full of people with luggage and little kid in swimsuits. We went through about 4 cycles of this and then decided to press the "UP" button. We got on, went up, then went down, momentarily stopping at floors with people who were unable to get in because the elevator was full.

They provided free internet and it worked fine. There was a Cat-5 internet cable at the desk in our room to connect to wired internet, but I preferred to use the wireless internet.

The hotel has very good banquet and special event facilities. So if you are planning something like that, this may be a plus.

BTW, the room numbering is slightly confusing. I am told that they renumbered their rooms a year ago. But they haven't yet updated the room maps in the hallways, the guest book in our room or the emergency evacuation map on the unit door. But if you ignore any maps that you see and use normal logic you'll be fine.

We paid around $100 for this room. It was reserved about 6 months in advance and was supposed to be special rate. Seemed a tad high for the area. But it was a nice place.

In the late afternoon there was a woman in front of their restaurant/bar who was giving out free slices of delicious pizza. That was a nice touch.

I am hoping that you find my review helpful. If you did, let me know by clicking on the "helpful" button below.

Room Tip: There is more road noise on the side of the hotel looking at the highway. The more quiet rooms are...
4  Thank BJRSanDiego
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us while attending the wedding! Sunday mornings can be a bit busy with everyone checking out, but I appreciate you ingenuity in getting on the elevator!

I truly do appreciate the time you took in preparing your review, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed at holiday inn again for a conference for two and a half days. Room was very clean,comfortable,slept well,was able to open window for fresh air. Staff is wonderful. Had a wonderful greeting from Heidi on arrival,great big smile, great customer service,very efficient. Next morning we had breakfast,were in a hurry and Sandra who is Italian greeted us and was very efficient in getting our breakfast. Breakfast was excellent but somewhat spendy. Sandra was seen in the evening and still going strong with her great personality and energy. There was another staff member with her Julie who was also very helpful. I am sorry I do not remember the name of their manager but he did a wonderful job for all our food. There was a wonderful turkey sandwich that we had for lunch. Yum yum. Greg was the manager of the holiday inn and I believe if there was any thing to be looked at he would take care of it. Thanks again for the wonderful stay

Room Tip: Look on trp advisor to see comments
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank traveler43501
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! We thoroughly enjoyed having your group with us last week. I am pleased to hear that our staff was able to WOW you with their service and Smiles!! We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Just spent three days at this hotel. Rooms were clean, and beds were always made when we got back to our room. The staff was very friendly and offered to help you any time. They were very accommodating to our group. It saw fairly close to Albertville outlet which was nice.Occasionally in the morning you could here semi's on the highway next to the hotel. The only improvement I could suggest is to add a continental breakfast as non was offered. Also the room we stayed in the door did not always shut so occasionally we would return to our room and find the door was not shut.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank tanna123

Thank You! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and suggestions. If you get a moment, plesae contact me directly at the hotel so we know for sure which room you were in so we can make the necessary repairs to the door. I will have our engineering team check all the rooms in the meantime.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went up for a wedding of good friends and brought the kids. this place was so kid friendly, the Water Park was awesome and the staff was great!! The restuarant inside had great food, great staff, it made our stay a wonderful; experience!! I would highly recommend this Hotel for any families looking to unwind! Thank you again and we will be be back again soon!

Room Tip: They all looked like good rooms!
2  Thank cpgilmer
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Awesome!!! So great to hear that you had a great visit with us. I truly appreciate the time you took to offer this feedback.

We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel! I booked our two rooms...one a family sweet and the other a double queen, online. I called ahead of time to make sure everything was booked and to request a crib. When we checked in the man at the desk informed us that the water park wouldn't open until the following day at 4. We were pretty upset since it was the whole reason for staying at the hotel...but he ended up giving us the double queen room for free for the 2 nights we stayed. They also opened up the baby pool for us the following day at noon, so that was very nice of them. The young man at the front desk was the friendliest front desk person I had ever met! He helped us out a few times during our weekend stay...guiding us to restaurants and providing extra linens and whatever else. We were very impressed with the rooms. The were very spacious and very clean. The rest of the hotel was also spotless. Another review said that the locker room was dirty but when we were their it was spotless. The life guards were also very nice and helpful. I was also surprised at how clean the pool area was! The only bad thing about the hotel is the lighting in the rooms were very dim.

3  Thank Ecrook
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased that Aaron was able to make the stay a positive one for you! I will make sure and share your comments with him.

Our team prides themselves on a high level of service and offering a clean and well maintained hotel and water park for our guests to enjoy.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We rented a two queen quite for our dtrs B-day party (she brought six friends) and then a two queen standard room for ourselves. The two queen suite was only an additional $20 but not much bigger and the wall dividing the LR from the BR made it seem kind of small though it was sufficient. The standard room almost seemed larger. The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable. The staff-though we had very little to do with them-was very accomodating. It was a weekend of spring break so it was very busy and we were not the only ones with alot of kids, so very family friendly. There was an arcade so when the kids had done all the slides, this also gave them an alternative. Everything was cleaned and kept up. It worked well for us. we will be back:)

Room Tip: standard room is better than a suite
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jill008

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and our staff was able to assist you as needed.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I was extremely disappointed this time in the Holiday Inn. They double charged our family for the water park usage and when I booked reservations for the Hotel, I booked 2 rooms and asked for them to be by each other. I got 2 rooms, each at a different end of the hotel. The dressing room for the water park was very dirty. My granddaughter was walking down the hall to the pool and someone had propped open the door to the men's changing room. She got an eye full of adult men changing. It seemed to me that kids were running the pool area and also the front desk. Last time we had a really good experience, but this time it was different. I called the hotel about the double charging of my credit card and found out they not only charged me 2 times but some stranger's room for my pool useage. I really think the hotel needs to have an adult supervising the operations.

2  Thank rafannon
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

I am disappointed to hear that your recent visit was less than satisfactory. At your convenience, please contact me directly at the hotel so I can discuss the situation in detail and make sure everything is taken care of to your satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elk River
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes
2 mi away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Elk River, MN
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Albertville, MN
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rogers
Hampton Inn & Suites Rogers
Cambria hotel & suites Minneapolis Maple Grove

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!