Northern Lights Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Moose Track Adventures(Ely)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsbear island lakefun activitieswonderful hostsshower headnumerous activitiesdog sleddingliving roommile driveping pongely areaclear nightpine treeswell equipped kitchenfishowners were friendlybeautiful view of the lakegas fireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We had a "girls only" trip to MN and stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge and Resort. From the moment we saw the lodge we were pleased...it had everything we wanted and our cabin was perfect (#11). The cabin was exceptionally clean and the kitchen had all the essentials. We had a view of the lake from the cabin and even had our own little yard, fire pit and dock!
While visiting one MUST visit the sauna and then jump into the lake! My daughter rented a motor boat and she and my niece
caught Northern Pike! We kayaked, hiked, swam and had the perfect vacation!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelThyme7
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your review--we enjoyed the opportunity to meet "the girls" and spend time with you all! I especially enjoyed the time spent with your daughter during our boat operations and navigation session. It's very rewarding when you can be a part of such an experience and it's great to see young women step out of their comfort zone and try something new. I'm glad that your vacation experience was perfect AND next time we'll see you for the week!

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We just returned last week from a 3 day stay at Northern Lights Lodge (8 adults, 1 child, 2 babies, 1 dog). My entire life, I've spent each summer at resorts "Up North" and Northern Lights Lodge is hands down the best.

Why the best? The owners are amazing: anything you need, think you need, or even want; they bend over backwards to accommodate. The location: the cabins are spread out enough that other than seeing your neighbors occasionally, you feel like you almost have the place to yourself. Additionally, the location on both the lake and the river (especially the river) allows you the northwoods solitude for which you may be searching. The amenities: the cabins are awesome! We stayed in one with 3 bedrooms upstairs and a full kitchen, living room, and bathroom downstairs and it was insulated enough that when the kids went to sleep upstairs we adults could play cards (and get a little rowdy) downstairs without waking the babies. Finally, they have motorboats for rent (cheap!) but their canoes and kayaks are free (and perfect for fishing downstream!). There's so many other things to mention (e.g. the sign painting, the fishing, the dogs, etc, etc) but I'll leave that for you to discover.

This was actually the second time, my wife and I had been to Northern Lights Lodge. About 4-5 years ago, we actually stayed in one of the suites during Ely's Winterfest. With its modern amenities and "flip-the-switch" gas fireplace, it was romantic solitude. And of course, dog sledding was awesome.

This is the longest trip advisor review I've ever written but well deserved as Northern Light Lodge is the best resort Up North for both families and couples.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RCS_Junior
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review--it was our pleasure having you back with us and we appreciated the opportunity to meet the rest of the family. I have to say that you all were "vacation troopers" making the best of our very wet weather. The little ones are adorable! We love seeing everyone come together for these extended family reunions/gatherings.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

stayed at the lodge and absolutely loved it! One of the most beautiful places in America. If you love the outdoors and/or fishing, you'll love it here

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BuenosNachos2
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in the Ely area.

Marie Vogt

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Our family (6 people, 4 dogs!) traveled to Ely over Christmas break to go sled dogging. We chose to stay two nights at Northern Lights Lodge because it is pet-friendly and has stellar reviews. We were not disappointed! Absolutely loved Northern Lights Lodge! We stayed in two suites and both were squeaky clean with fabulous winter views of the lake. Marie's great customer service really came thru too. We locked our keys in the van accidentally on the way to the sled dog trip. She called the tow truck company, looked for their own "unlock" tool, and also called Chilly Dogs to let them know we were going to be a bit late. That kind of service just does not happen much anymore. Highly recommend, we hope to be back soon! Knapp family

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank virginia k
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We traveled up to Ely to enjoy a couple of nights away from the cities with our boys. No phones, laptops or technology. From the moment I scheduled the get-away with Marie, I felt drawn to Northern Lights. From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed by Marie, the dogs, and the other lodgers. Our boys took a liking to Pepper & Daisy, as we'd left our bulldog at home. As we explored the resort, we quickly connected with two couples that had traveled up from IL & WI. Very sweet people, but what else would I expect from such a warm and welcoming place. Our boys (highschoolers) both felt comfortable and took advantage of the waterfront. Taking the paddle boat out the first evening we arrived as my husband and I read books while looking out across the water to the most beautiful sun setting in the sky. I believe we stayed in cabin #3 which has been remodeled. It was super cute. We will definitely be back! Thank you Marie! You were a sweatheart and our youngest definitely appreciate your willingness to let him play with the dogs and come and go from the lodge.

Room Tip: cabin #3 has been renovated. It sleep 2 kids and 2 married adults comfortably
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family