“Great Lodge - Great People”

Northern Lights Lodge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Chicago
“Great Lodge - Great People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed at Northern Lights Lodge for three nights over the Labor Day Weekend. We have been to Ely many times and we have stayed at other cabins - this was one of the best. It's about a 15 minute drive from town - so you have the flexibility of staying in a 'cabin in the woods' and cooking your own meals - or - driving to town for lunch or dinner.

From the moment we arrived, we were warmly greeted and checked in. We stayed in cabin five, which was perfect for us (2 people). The cabin was nicely decorated and comfortable and spotless. We really appreciated how well the property was maintained. We loved sitting on our deck with a beautiful view of the lake. Although we didn't use it - we had our own private dock.

Although this was a 'get away from it all' stay, we were able to use our ipad at the main lodge. We appreciated the ability to 'check in' and keep up to date on news.

My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. Would love to spend a full week in a cabin at Northern Lights Lodge.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bab0706
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you staying with us! We're so glad that you enjoyed your time here in Cabin #5. It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed visiting with both of you. It really was a great weekend!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Forest Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

It was a great way to relax, unwind and have some laughs. It was our first trip to Ely and we were to stay at a lodge that could only book us for one night so I found this on trip advisor. What a blessing in disguise. The place was so clean and comfortable. The view was nice and everything was so close. Who knew I liked kayaking?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Mardi -- so glad you enjoyed your stay and your time out on Bear Island Lake! I only wish we could have had you with us longer. Until next time, when you can really experience it all!
Onalaska, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stayed three nights long weekend/anniversary get away July 14,15,16 2012. Rented Cabin 5 on line based on website - is basic very nice with wooden deck on slightly elevated lake shore. Is a little walk down from the parking Cabin super clean everything in it perfect working order. Is an extra window fan and ceiling fan for the rare high temps. We were there on 90 degree days but cools in the evening and very nice without AC. Check in and out quick accurate though my wife and I stayed and talked with owner on the way out as she is charming, engaging and very helpful. Her previous background in high level accomadation planning is obvious, is brought down and beautifully integrated into friendly very well run simple resort. Gave us Great advice on some hiking trails and obviously you are near the best wilderness canoeing (or in our case kayaking) there is. We elected to stay in Cabin at night and day trip Boundary Waters this trip came back and grilled on the deck and slept in clean comfy cabin. There is a stunning Great Dane that is a lovable wandering detective that will check on everyone a couple of times a day. As always this is the Minnesota Boundary Waters and must bring Mosquito spray. The cabin has dishes utensils can opener corkscrew pots and pans and charcoal grill. Fridge very cold. The office is great on the phone and gives you a complete list of wht is there and what to bring. We will stay there again if the situation comes up. Kids in the next cabins were catching nice Walleyes and has boat dock with good access and a public shore launch a few hundred yards down shore. Has a great beach for kids and is very fisherman friendly. Can pcik up wireless in lodge and on lodge deck if you really have to have it up next to the Wilderness and 4G works fine in Cabin.

Room Tip: Rooms are all nice that we peeked into - the cabins are our favorite. Very informal so bring your f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeJennyQ
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Mike and Jenny -- What a treat! I'm glad that you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us especially given the unusually warm summer weather that we are all having. I couldn't help but have a big grin as I read about your "Bella Experience" as I know just how curious my baby girl (9 months) is at this stage. Great Danes are truly Gentle Giants. Cabin #5 is my favorite "classic" cabin and it's so nice to know that you enjoyed it too. I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer and the next 30 years! Thank you for your TripAdvisor review.
Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My Bride-to-Be and myself have been fortunate to enjoy a stay at Northern Lights Lodge on 3 seperate occassions - October 2010 (our first trip together), February 2011 (to celebrate Valentines & the Winter Fest) and lastly October 2011. Cabin 9 or 10 we have spent time in and loved the cleanliness, our furry friends visiting us at times during the day, the peacefullness of the lodge and Marie's hospitality. Our adventures tend to lean more towards experiences that I admit border more on tasting a local brew and burger rather than fishing, hunting, etc. Regardless we have more than enjoyed our time spent at the lodge as well as in Ely too. Helga and Franz are reminders in life to appreciate the simple things in life ... the solitude ... the peace ... we get that at Northern Lights and will continue to call that our home away from home each year though it may be only for 3 or 4 days/nights ... it is always perfection in our eyes.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 9 & 10 on our 3 occassions and if you think you may try it this October when w...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JamesCarrie
James and Carrie -- I am so glad that Northern Lights Lodge feels like home! I know how busy the two of you are this year but I do hope that you can "come home again" this fall. It's always so much fun having you here and I enjoy spending time with you. Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to write a TripAdvisor review. Stay cool!
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was our first time staying at the Northern Lights Lodge in Ely, MN. We booked the last week of June 2012 in Cabin #4. Marie was wonderful on the phone helping me to chose the best cabin for our family needs. Our cabin was better than we hoped it would be. You can tell the owners take great pride in keeping everything clean and comfortable. It was well stocked for cooking, the beds were comfortable, and so spotlessly clean. The resort had a nice mix of people - some fishermen, and some families. There was SO MUCH for families to do!! More activities than we could possibly take part in. I felt the resort was well thought out to help guests have the best experience. Marie was always available to us when we had questions. She goes out of her way to help and inform. We appreciated her so much! We fished at several local piers (Birch, Miners, and Fall Lake), but we found the best fishing to be right at the Northern Lights marina (the third dock to the right). We caught lots of northern pike, perch, bluegills and sunnies. Then we cleaned them right in the awesome fish cleaning house! Also, the resort is close to Ely if you need groceries or want to go out to eat. It was a perfect location for us. We had everything to do at the resort, but when we wanted to go see the local sites, they were close enough. The resort owners are forward thinkers and implementing a lot of "green" policies. They are doing their part to be responsible with resources. It is never intrusive though, by any means. My husband and kids LOVED the swimming beach. The water was nice, even in June, and a nice sandy lake bottom. They enjoyed the trampoline and swimming raft. They also used canoe, kayaks, and paddle boat during the week. We had some great campfires in the awesome firepit with wood provided. It was a great value for what we received. It was so quiet you could hear the loons singing. I personally have some health/mobility issues and I found it easy enough to get around and enjoy myself. It was great to be able to park right next to cabin. We would definately like to return to Northern Lights, and we would not hesitate to recommend this resort for families, couples, fishermen, retreats, girl/guy weekends.

2 Thank stamysteely
, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Amy--thank you so much for all of the kind words. We are very fortunate because we love what we do and enjoy our "resort family" so much. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed themselves and that we kept the kids entertained! We'll take good care of your Dad when he is here next month for his first Northern Lights Lodge vacation. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We had a "girls only" trip to MN and stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge and Resort. From the moment we saw the lodge we were pleased...it had everything we wanted and our cabin was perfect (#11). The cabin was exceptionally clean and the kitchen had all the essentials. We had a view of the lake from the cabin and even had our own little yard, fire pit and dock!
While visiting one MUST visit the sauna and then jump into the lake! My daughter rented a motor boat and she and my niece
caught Northern Pike! We kayaked, hiked, swam and had the perfect vacation!

1 Thank TravelThyme7
, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for your review--we enjoyed the opportunity to meet "the girls" and spend time with you all! I especially enjoyed the time spent with your daughter during our boat operations and navigation session. It's very rewarding when you can be a part of such an experience and it's great to see young women step out of their comfort zone and try something new. I'm glad that your vacation experience was perfect AND next time we'll see you for the week!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We just returned last week from a 3 day stay at Northern Lights Lodge (8 adults, 1 child, 2 babies, 1 dog). My entire life, I've spent each summer at resorts "Up North" and Northern Lights Lodge is hands down the best.

Why the best? The owners are amazing: anything you need, think you need, or even want; they bend over backwards to accommodate. The location: the cabins are spread out enough that other than seeing your neighbors occasionally, you feel like you almost have the place to yourself. Additionally, the location on both the lake and the river (especially the river) allows you the northwoods solitude for which you may be searching. The amenities: the cabins are awesome! We stayed in one with 3 bedrooms upstairs and a full kitchen, living room, and bathroom downstairs and it was insulated enough that when the kids went to sleep upstairs we adults could play cards (and get a little rowdy) downstairs without waking the babies. Finally, they have motorboats for rent (cheap!) but their canoes and kayaks are free (and perfect for fishing downstream!). There's so many other things to mention (e.g. the sign painting, the fishing, the dogs, etc, etc) but I'll leave that for you to discover.

This was actually the second time, my wife and I had been to Northern Lights Lodge. About 4-5 years ago, we actually stayed in one of the suites during Ely's Winterfest. With its modern amenities and "flip-the-switch" gas fireplace, it was romantic solitude. And of course, dog sledding was awesome.

This is the longest trip advisor review I've ever written but well deserved as Northern Light Lodge is the best resort Up North for both families and couples.

1 Thank RCS_Junior
, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you so much for your review--it was our pleasure having you back with us and we appreciated the opportunity to meet the rest of the family. I have to say that you all were "vacation troopers" making the best of our very wet weather. The little ones are adorable! We love seeing everyone come together for these extended family reunions/gatherings.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ely
The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
#2 of 8 in Ely
Timber Wolf Lodge
Timber Wolf Lodge
#1 of 34 in Ely

Been to Northern Lights Lodge? Share your experiences!