“Family time on the lake - great resort!”

Northern Lights Lodge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first times at Northern Lights and our second time in Ely. The cabin was a basic summer cabin - cute, cozy, clean and had everything we needed. We loved having a lake view and our own pier. The owners are great and provide fun activities, gnome hunting, lots of outdoor and indoor games which were well maintained and really fun. We took day trips canoeing and hiking, and had a great time!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Knavarro
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us! It was a pleasure having you all here with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed Cabin 1, I personally enjoy the creek that flows along side the cabin in the spring. I'm glad that the weather held off for your day trips! We hope that you will be able to visit us again.

Marie Vogt

There are newer reviews for Northern Lights Lodge

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We tried this resort last spring for the first time after years at a different Ely camp. The walleye fishing was fantastic but don't tell anyone. It took me a day or two to get used to being on a new lake and Bear Island definitely has a lot of structure. We laid into a nice, nice afternoon of bass fishing too and 3 of the guys caught their biggest fish ever.

I need to come back with the wife and kids but this is a trip for the boys. It is easy to see that this is a great place for families in the summer. Lots for the kids to do, nice beach, activities (that this place says they do and they actually do it) and the wifi access is a nice addition because a couple of the guys used to go into Ely to get on the internet.

The owners are definitely knowledgeable about the lake, when and where to fish and they were spot on about the best bait and depths. The fish house here is awesome and in all of my 25 years of fishing this was definitely the cleanest and coolest fish house I have ever been in. Even the mayfly hatch didn't mess up our fishing. Our group plus 2 is coming back in June and I know that I can't wait to get out on the water.

Our cabin was exceptional with everything and more that a group of guys could need or want. Clean, clean, clean and absolutely nothing in the cabin or the resort was broken. Clearly, the owners pay attention to the details and care about this place.

Counting down the days. See you in June.

Room Tip: There's no restaurant here but the cabin has a good sized kitchen. The fitness center, well not...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MikeLinc59
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Mike thank you for the review! The walleyes definitely treated you well--it was a great week. We'd love to have you back with the entire family.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My family and I ventured to Northern Minnesota for the first time last summer and we chose Northern Lights Lodge for our July vacation. Complete success and what a gem!

Our cabin was perfect. Our stay was amazing. The owners were great. What more could someone ask for on a vacation? We enjoyed the experience so much that our family voted to return to the Resort again this summer and that's the first time we have ever gone to the same place twice.

I can't wait to return to "our" cabin, our girls can't wait to hit the beach, our son has dibs on the kayaks and my husband is already day dreaming about the fishing.

Thank you Marie, Gary and JR for making Northern Lights Lodge such a special place to stay!

Room Tip: Talk to Marie! I appreciated the way she listened to what I wanted out of our vacation. She asked...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Becki R

Becki, thank you for the great review and high praise! We enjoyed having your family here with us.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Our family decided to put a vacation under the Christmas tree this year and we decided to surprise the family with a trip to Ely....in the winter.

We had a blast! Our research and planning was made EASY by Marie (one of the owners) and we decided to follow her advice. The resort was great and definitely kid friendly but this resort is probably a great fit for just about anyone, any age. We all enjoyed the sledding, snowshoeing, the kites, saunas and snowman search.

The lodge had everything we could want to help keep the family entertained when indoors with lots of board games, puzzles, books and other activities.

Our cabin was great. My wife is picky and she said that this was the cleanest cabin we ever rented. Very well furnished and we lacked nothing. The fireplace was a great bonus for us.

The owner's have the most amazing Great Danes and a Yellow Lab. We all enjoyed Bella, Minnie and Daisy.

I think the family will be back in the summer. Northern Lights Lodge was the perfect "home base" for our winter blast in Ely. The Vogt family was wonderful, they work really hard, they enjoy what they do and it shows.

Room Tip: Best Tip: Talk to Marie! Let her know what you are looking for in your trip.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Marc R
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you so much! It was our pleasure having you here with us and I am so glad that you all enjoyed your stay. See you this summer.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

In 2012 my family and I vacationed at Northern Lights Lodge in June. In 2013 it was my turn to plan our annual girlfriends reunion. Our entire group had a fantastic time in this cabin. We are a group of "old" high school classmates who get together every year and we take turns amongst the group choosing a new location. Hands down, the group voted to return again next year which is a first for our group. Our compliments to Marie and JR who are so pleasant to work and who go out of their way to make sure that their guests are all enjoying their stay. They had great suggestions for hiking spots (that fit our years!) and spot on suggestions for our dinners in Ely. A few members of our group wanted to go fishing and even though JR said he doesn't fish he still put us into a nice spot on the lake for bass.

We all agreed that this is probably the cleanest cabin and the best supplied cabin we have ever stayed in. The Resort grounds are immaculate and Daisy, Pepper and Minnie are so much fun too.

All around fantastic trip and we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "cabin on the end" but I don't think that you would be disappointed in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessie H

Thank you for your review and we're so happy that you enjoyed your cabin and stay with us.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

3rd year with NLL and we've doubled our stay for next year! Perfect for kids of all ages. Lots of places to explore and activities to keep thrm busy! Friendly hosts and fellow resort guests make our stay even more enjoyable. We love the flexibility of being close to town but not in town. Lots of walleye and sunnies and noryhern on our lines. Fish house is worth its weight in gold. They have thought of everything! Lots going on in Ely; be sure to visit the playground next to the farmers market, try some local fare. Visited the golf course this trip-well cared for, fun course.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ERIN S

Thank you so much for the review! I know you are counting the days just like we are and we are ready for summer!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had a very negative experience with a different resort adjacent to Northern Lights (a simple google maps search will help you figure that one out). We had planned our summer vacation in Ely months in advance and, having never been to this area before, relied on photos and online reviews. Well that place was a complete dump, the online photos a lie, and I'll leave it at that. On a whim, in a moment of complete desperation, I called Northern Lights to see if they had anything available. They had one of their suites open (a family had just happened to cancel last minute) and we took it. Overall Northern Lights was fantastic - exactly what we had in mind for our up north vacation. Next time I would rent one of their cabins. The suites are nice (very clean, with a jetted tub, updated interior and gorgeous view) but not necessarily private or quiet. You can hear your neighbors quite well. Another downside is little storage space, so pack light. But overall, it was a truly wonderful place to stay and Marie, the owner, goes above and beyond to make it a fun and enjoyable experience. There are so many fun family activities and games onsite, free kayak and canoe usage, motor boats and pontoons to rent, fire pits, sauna, the list goes on. I HIGHLY recommend this spot for families with young children. And while I can't speak from experience about the cabins, when we visit this lodge again (which I'm sure we'll do) we'll probably rent a cabin. You will get your money's worth at this resort and I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen R
Northern_Lights_Ely, Owner at Northern Lights Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Jennifer--thank you for the review. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate your family and that you were able to enjoy your Ely vacation. It was a pleasure having you here, Evan was such a fun little man to be around and I learned a few things about bugs from Billie too! Enjoy the rest of the summer and we'll see you next time!

Marie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ely
The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
Adventure Inn
#3 of 8 in Ely
Motel Ely Budget Host
White Iron Beach Resort

Been to Northern Lights Lodge? Share your experiences!