“Stayed at the campsite”

Moose Track Adventures
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We arrived at Moose Track Adventures during a wet, rainy week. Didn't matter, glad to be there and not at work. We have a small tent and was very please with the campsite. There are only 4 sites, two on the water (Farm Lake) and the other two across the way. Not very crowded, compared to other campsites in the area and the other campers were nice. It was clean, quiet, and well maintained. Each of the four sites has access to electricity and water. We had access to the campsite dock for our boat and once the wind stopped, we caught fish! There was a garbage area nearby which was frequently emptied by the same fella who cleans the fish guts out of the fish house.

There is a shower house/toilet for women. Nothing fancy, but the water was always hot and I oddly never had to wait for a shower. There was even a heater in the shower building. Nice.

The first day, Jim invited us to the lodge/main house for wine and cheese as there were no fish to be fried due to the horrible wind and rain. I had a fun time meeting the other guests and listening to Jim's storytelling. He is good (ask him about his quickest high school wrestling match).

Joan was the perfect hostess, offering us tips and advice. I appreciated her sincere interest in our trip. The resident dog, Maggie was a nice addition. She visited us every morning and evening as if to check-in and make sure we were ok.

We would go back anytime. I didn't hear any complaints from anyone about the cabins or campsites.

I don't have children, but others did. Those kids seemed to be having a very nice time. Lots of silly laughter and running around.

Room Tip: My only complaint is that we didn't stay longer.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoanGabriel
There are newer reviews for Moose Track Adventures

Reviewed 3 July 2011

I took my 91 year old father and my mother to Moose Track for 10 days of fishing. Thanks to Joan and her staff, they had a wonderful time and caught lots of small mouth bass. The Moose Track staff went out of their way to provide my parents with a comfortable and relaxing stay. I have already booked for next year.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank troutbreath
Reviewed 5 June 2011

My wife and I loved our visit to and with Moose Track Adventures. Their cabins don't deserve to be called "cabins." They are all recently completely remodeled and right on the water. The inside of the cabins is spectacular. You've got to see them in person to believe them. But the best part of Moose Track are the owners--Joan and Jim. They went out of their way to make our visit a wonderful one. They fixed us up with their guide, Mike, who took us on a beautiful canoe trip. Mike was terrific. He was personable, knowledgeable, friendly, and responsible. I highly recommend him. When we returned from our trip, Joan and Jim invited us to share dinner with them and the rest of the guests who were staying there that evening. Jim cooked a wonderful fish fry in the smoker and the sides were equally good. Joan and Jim made us feel like we were family rather than paying guests. I highly recommend Moose Track Adventures. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Stayed here on both ends of a trip into the boundary waters. Rustic cabins by lake were bright, inviting with comfortable rooms and well supplied kitchen - a great place to relax. Joan and Jim were excellent hosts and provided great recommendations on where to go canoeing and places to visit in town. Highly recommended as place to do your outfitting for trip into boundary waters.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My friend and I enjoyed the Kawishiwi remote cabin from Sept 18 - 23, 2010. We used to do overnight trips into the BWCA, but now he's 80 and I'm 62 and we're no longer able to do the portages. At this cabin, just 200 yards from the BWCA, we were able to enjoy comfortable beds at night and paddle our canoe as far as we wanted into the BWCA each day.

Some practical info about the cabin:
- it's accessible only by boat, about a 10-min motor ride from the Moose Track Lodge across Farm lake to the Kawishiwi River
- my 80-yr old friend found the steps from the lake to the cabin to be difficult but not impossible
- the cabin has a propane heater as well as a wood stove; if you want to use the wood stove, there is a bow saw and you can cut up downed branches in the back
-although there are cabins on either side, they are well screened by trees, and we had no problems with noise
- on Saturday and Sunday, we could usually hear motorboats out on Farm Lake, but it was pretty quiet during the week
- the cabin has a number of propane lamps, a propane fridge, stove and oven
- the cabin has one full-power electric outlet which is nice for charging a cell phone or other equipment; the downside of having electricity is a constantly humming transformer near the dock, which means you don't quite get that wilderness quiet if you sit on the dock, but if you go behind the cabin, or out on the water, you no longer hear the hum
- my T-Mobil cell phone usually got two bars of ATT service on the dock, none in the cabin
- the cabin does not have running water; it has an outside "solar shower"; with air temps in the 50s, my two "showers" were very quick and quite invigorating
- the beds and bedding were terrific
- although Josh was very helpful with fishing advice when he dropped us off, we did not have much luck finding fish
- some of my favorite times were the nights; I'm glad my prostate problem and the lack of indoor plumbing made me go out to pee a couple times each night - the night sky and night sounds were always changing and always fascinating, sometimes it was so quiet I heard loons calling from miles away, or a great horned owl hooting - it was about as close as you can get to having both a comfortable bed and a wilderness experience

Many thanks to Jim and Joan for being such wonderful hosts and for making this wilderness experience possible!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jzakelj
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Always wanted to do a Boundary Waters canoe/camping trip? Us, too! So my friend and I made it a Girl Power trip and hired Moose Track to help us. We chose Moose Track because they sent a personalized response to our email request for information (instead of one of those auto-emails), and were very willing to work with us via both email and telephone on itineraries, mileage, menu, canoe/paddle wants and needs (we wanted solo), etc. When we finally got to the great northwoods, full of anxiety, we found that they had taken care of everything. All we had to do was pack our Duluth bags and get some sleep in one of their cozy lakeside cabins (complete with moose cutouts in the wood trim). We spent the next 5 days in the capable hands of our guide, Josh, as he led us into the wilderness and then back out again. So awesome. We fished, we saw pictographs, we paddled through blowing rain and wind.. and sunny, glassy water, too. We told Sasquatch stories around the campfire on our secluded island campsites (and then didn't sleep). We heard howling wolves on a cold but bright, moonlit and starry night. We portaged. We had the time of our lives. We want to go back next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank SteffieB
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I came for a first fishing trip with my 8 year old daughter. The cabins were beautifully done in light contemporary pine. Fully furnished with refrigerator, stove, dinnerware etc. No TV in the room but wi fi available at the lodge.
Each cabin sits at the lake edge with it's own dock. Gorgeous views. Jim (owner), took my daughter and myself out fishing on two half day trips. Each one was with magnificent scenery. On the second day we paddled about 1/2 hour into the boundary waters and saw eagles, a deer swimming across the lake, a beaver house. Jim managed to keep my daughter happy and occupied and quickly handed her his fishing pole when he hooked one so she could reel it in. I would go back and try to spend some more time. It is also a great launch point for the boundary waters.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family