“Slow service in restaurant”
Review of Grand Ely Lodge

Grand Ely Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Minnesota
“Slow service in restaurant”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Our order was taken the moment we sat down- good I said- then the long wait began- they were hauling tons of food into the bar area- and no one was getting food in the main dining area. My patience had worn thin and I was about ready to walk. The waitress did not ask my husband how he wanted his steak cooked and I didn't get asked what kind of dressing I wanted on my salad. We had to call the waitress back and tell her. While we were waiting no one approached us explain why the food was not coming out-was there an apology given when we got out food nor when we left. I get the idea that it is you get it when you get it. The food was good once it came- but left me with a "I don't know if I want to do this again," feeling.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Minnetrista, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Took my daughter (12yrs) up to Ely for a long weekend. I wasn't brave enough to tackle the Boundary Waters experience - but this was a nice substitute (with a hot shower! ;-) The lodge is on the lake BUT it is up a hill from the lake, so ground level floors don't have much of a lake view. Also, ground floor rooms only have a patio door, so if you want to hear the loons at night - you'd have to sleep with just a screen door between you and the sidewalk to other rooms. Upper level rooms appeared to have windows, so may be a better choice if fresh air and lake sounds are important.

The canoes, kayaks & paddle boats are free for the guests, which is an awesome way to take a kid out for an hour or two then go do something else for a while. They also had fishing poles for use by guests as well, but we didn't try these. The marshmallow roast on Friday and Sat nights was a big hit with the kids, even my "young adult". The pool, spa and sauna were all very nice and clean and open until 11:00pm so you could take advantage of them after a full day outdoors.

The restaurant was above the norm for hotel food. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.
The room was comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room on the lakeside (Rm 144)- which all had patio doors to the lake side as w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I haven't stayed here in over six years, as the love I feel for the town of Ely caused me to buy a house in town. But my son, his wife and a brand new daughter have moved into that house, so this trip put me back at the GEL.

It is still a lovely property. The decor is campy and rustic. If you can get a room facing the Lake on the bottom floor, you can walk right out to the lawn, and sit in chairs placed there. The room we stayed in which was one of these lower lake rooms, was a large room with two queen size beds. The internet was fast and easy to connect to. I love that one of the best restaurants in town is located right in the GEL, and you can just walk upstairs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also if need be a late night snack can be had at the bar.

I do have a few complaints. First the bathroom is dark, there is almost no light in the shower. The towels are quite small and starting to show some age. I would also say that it is time to replace the pillows and mattresses, both are lumps and flat. And my biggest complaint is that there was only two places in the room to plug things in. My husband and took turns charging our cell phones and computers.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor, lake facing room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellsworth, WI
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Had a great time. Hotel was very comfortable and relaxing. Wonderful staff. Beautiful views. Great food. Nice pool area. A nice winter retreat. Went dog-sledding and snowmobiling. Very clean. Can not wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DougLucht
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We wanted to get away from the city and do some snowshoeing. Grand Ely Lodge is a very good place to do that, but it is also a great place for Snow Mobiles!! Although it was not the most quiet location with the machines humming around the property all weekend long, we had a lovely time. The hotel is immaculate and accommodating. The restaurant in the hotel serves some very good food and the menu has something for everyone. We especially loved their breakfast. AND...the bar mixes a very good drink! In-room frig and microwave made saving a few left-overs and making popcorn a treat. The pool was cleaner than most hotel pools we have seen and we enjoyed the whirlpool and sauna. We were also surprised by the fact that the hotel had a few DVD players you could check out on a first come-first served basis so we watched movies when the temps dropped below zero. We also got in on a great package price for the long weekend which topped off our experience very nicely!

Room Tip: Our 3rd floor lakeside room was lovely. The shore is not right next to the hotel, so you have a lov...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helen S
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We like to travel with our golden retriever, Rusty, but have found many hotels do not accept pets. The Grand Ely Lodge does have pet-friendly rooms and we truly enjoyed our stay! Our room had a patio door which made it very easy to get Rusty directly outside when it was time to go out, rather than leading the excited hound down a long hallway, sniffing passersby and guest room doors. Our king-size bed was great for stretching out, and the mini fridge and microwave made it easy to keep breakfast & snacks in the room.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 144 and really liked the lake-view and privacy of that side of the lodge.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew E
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We usually stay here when we visit Ely.
Nice pool, hot tub and decent rooms. Cozy restaurant overlooking the lake. Best hotel in Ely! More like a resort than a hotel. Good place to stay winter or summer.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family