“Open at 6:00 am for breakfast”
Review of Grand Ely Lodge

Grand Ely Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ely
Mankato, Minnesota, United States
“Open at 6:00 am for breakfast”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Visiting Ely, MN as your entrance to the BWCA area is always a fun experience. Many people pass through on their way to camping and canoeing experienecs. Starting out early in the morning is a must. Grand Ely Lodge was the only place we could find that opened before 10:00am. Service was good and the food was great. Alot of people will stay a day or two to relax after roughing it in the wilderness. Open for winter activities, too. Lots of history about the founders of Ely is available to those who look. Many Geocaching opportunities to bring you to historically significant places in the area. Whether you are roughing it in the BWCA or pampering yourself at the Lodge, this is a unique truly northern Minnesota town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Minneapolis
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We camped in the area for 2 nights and then back to civilization for a dip in the hot tub, pool and eating in the restaurants. I have stayed here before and it does have the up north feel to the log furniture, the carpeting and all of the heavy log beams. I love it and if you drive to Ely you really can't go wrong here. Nice fires at night to be able to roast marshmellows and take out a canoe or rent a boat. Seems like an easy place for city folks to stay in town and have a lake on one side and town on the other. Definately will be back again. Liked the free popcorn in the bar and ability to watch the sunset from the deck.

Room Tip: Get a water view room if possible. Walk the grounds and go down to the dock and there is a great pl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kasson, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in February with our 2 young sons while in town for a dog sledding trip. This hotel was beautiful, clean and cozy. The quintessential "Up North", Minnesota log lodge. The staff was very helpful and accomodating when we asked to move rooms to the upper floor. There is a large pool area that includes a toddler pool, large pool and a hot tub. There is also a ping pong table. Breakfast in the restaurant was great. The location was beautiful and we would stay again anytime.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyCamper444
Minnesota
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Our order was taken the moment we sat down- good I said- then the long wait began- they were hauling tons of food into the bar area- and no one was getting food in the main dining area. My patience had worn thin and I was about ready to walk. The waitress did not ask my husband how he wanted his steak cooked and I didn't get asked what kind of dressing I wanted on my salad. We had to call the waitress back and tell her. While we were waiting no one approached us explain why the food was not coming out-was there an apology given when we got out food nor when we left. I get the idea that it is you get it when you get it. The food was good once it came- but left me with a "I don't know if I want to do this again," feeling.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Minnetrista, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Took my daughter (12yrs) up to Ely for a long weekend. I wasn't brave enough to tackle the Boundary Waters experience - but this was a nice substitute (with a hot shower! ;-) The lodge is on the lake BUT it is up a hill from the lake, so ground level floors don't have much of a lake view. Also, ground floor rooms only have a patio door, so if you want to hear the loons at night - you'd have to sleep with just a screen door between you and the sidewalk to other rooms. Upper level rooms appeared to have windows, so may be a better choice if fresh air and lake sounds are important.

The canoes, kayaks & paddle boats are free for the guests, which is an awesome way to take a kid out for an hour or two then go do something else for a while. They also had fishing poles for use by guests as well, but we didn't try these. The marshmallow roast on Friday and Sat nights was a big hit with the kids, even my "young adult". The pool, spa and sauna were all very nice and clean and open until 11:00pm so you could take advantage of them after a full day outdoors.

The restaurant was above the norm for hotel food. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.
The room was comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room on the lakeside (Rm 144)- which all had patio doors to the lake side as w...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I haven't stayed here in over six years, as the love I feel for the town of Ely caused me to buy a house in town. But my son, his wife and a brand new daughter have moved into that house, so this trip put me back at the GEL.

It is still a lovely property. The decor is campy and rustic. If you can get a room facing the Lake on the bottom floor, you can walk right out to the lawn, and sit in chairs placed there. The room we stayed in which was one of these lower lake rooms, was a large room with two queen size beds. The internet was fast and easy to connect to. I love that one of the best restaurants in town is located right in the GEL, and you can just walk upstairs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also if need be a late night snack can be had at the bar.

I do have a few complaints. First the bathroom is dark, there is almost no light in the shower. The towels are quite small and starting to show some age. I would also say that it is time to replace the pillows and mattresses, both are lumps and flat. And my biggest complaint is that there was only two places in the room to plug things in. My husband and took turns charging our cell phones and computers.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor, lake facing room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellsworth, WI
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Had a great time. Hotel was very comfortable and relaxing. Wonderful staff. Beautiful views. Great food. Nice pool area. A nice winter retreat. Went dog-sledding and snowmobiling. Very clean. Can not wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends