“Fabulous cheese”

Ranked #10 of 59 Restaurants in Faribault
Auburn, United States
“Fabulous cheese”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped here based on Trip Advisor recommendations and we're not disappointed. We had two cheese plates - the cave cheese plate and the blue cheese plate. The cheese was amazing!! We will definitely come back again. (The wine was great also and very reasonably priced.)

Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Horrible customer service!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Upon walking in, the place smelled yummy! We walked all the way to the back without a single word from anyone who works here and everyone in the place stared at us like we were from outer space. No one asked if they could help us. Their only concern seemed to be with the customers already seated drinking wine. As a family of 5, we would have probably brought in the same size bill but since we weren't greeted and no one wanted to help us we left.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Kkaltoiiee
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Wonderful salad and pizza”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I joined friends for an early dinner and all the food was wonderful. The salad with the pears on it was really good and their pizza is always great too. My husband loves their grilled cheese.....very unique and you can pick the cheese you want. When they are busy the service is a little slow because they only have a couple people working but the food is worth the wait.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank CardanW
Hutchinson, Minnesota
“Not fancy, but elegantly simple and surprisingly delicious!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We just happened to be traveling through Fairbault when it was time for lunch. Instead of eating at the obvious fast food restaurants, we checked Trip Advisor and Cheese Cave was #1, so we went!

Physically, the restaurant is small and the front half of the room is a cheese store. There is a bar which is used for pouring drinks and food prep, so you get plenty of opportunity to interact with the friendly and knowledgeable waitstaff. The business is housed in a lovely old building, which makes a trip out in the hall to the bathroom worthwhile.

The menu is rather small and, as you might expect, built to showcase cheese. As an appetizer, we had a plate with a variety of cheeses, craisins, bread, a spicy hot berry jam, and almonds. It was delicious. My husband ate the grilled cheese sandwich, which appeared to be actually grilled (and not griddled), and was also very nice. I had a pear salad, which was delicious. This was probably too much food for two people, but somehow we made it through! For dessert, we took home a slice of blue cheese cheesecake. I'm glad I tried it, but I can't see myself ordering it again. It tastes like... just how you would think it tastes! Overall, I would describe the food as simple combinations of high-quality ingredients that gives a fairly elegant result. It was really just the kind of thing I enjoy.

The site also offers beer and wine. I can't comment on the beer, but I found the wine selections interesting and quite good, for my limited understanding of wine. I have the impression that, since they can't stock many wines, they have put a lot of thought into the wines that they do carry.

The servers were knowledgeable, speedy, and polite but not standoffish. We had a great time and will come back if we're ever driving through Faribault at mealtime again!

• Visited June 2014
Faribault, Minnesota
“Unique Bar-Restaurant with great food”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Cheese Cave offers sandwiches, soups and salads, plus free cheese tasting. In my opinion it offers the highest quality food in Faribault. The food served here is outstanding in flavor, presentation and the cost is reasonable. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual. The Cheese Cave offers many unique cheeses from around the world and they let you sample it for free. They also offer cheese sampler platters for snacking. The Cheese Cave has a large 50" TV as well.
Great food, great drinks and an awesome bar!

• Visited January 2014