“Overpriced but not a bad place to stay”

Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Faribault
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Overpriced but not a bad place to stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We stayed at this hotel while exhibiting livestock at the Rice County Fairgrounds, which is only a few blocks away. At over $100 per night, the room was overpriced, in my opinion, and was pretty much the same room for which I had paid $65 a night two weeks before in central Iowa. Price aside, the hotel seemed fine. The room was clean and quiet, the bed comfortable, and you could open the window for fresh air! I particularly liked that the mirror extended the full width of the wall; the countertop behind the toilet was very narrow, so I could get close to the mirror in that area to check mascara, etc. No iron or ironing board in room. Closet area very small. We checked out the breakfast briefly but the room was very hot, so we went across the street to Hardees, instead. Big flat-screen TV. Skimpy towels. Check-in and check-out were efficient and pleasant.

• Liked — Proximity to Rice County Fairgrounds
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Iowa
Reviewed 22 April 2007

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding and this is the hotel the couple had blocked. We had stayed at Americinn in other cities and had been satisfied. This property was rundown and could have used some updating. I felt like I had to keep my shoes on, because the carpet had a wierd feel to it. Our other complaint was the breakfast. The breakfast area wasn't that clean and the choice of items was limited. We ate breakfast a little later, and the area hadn't been cleaned up from previous people. We had to clean off an area before we could sit down and eat. For anyone who is health conscious, there wasn't much to choose from. There are some really nice hotels down the road in Owatonna, which is where we'll stay if we return to the area.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jul812
Melissa0505, manager at Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN, responded to this review, 18 December 2008
The hotel was dated at the time of this guests stay, but by Spring of 2009 the hotel will be totally renovated from top to bottom. You will defidently notice the difference the next time you stay with us.
minneapolis
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Immediately upon checking in, I should have turned around and walked right out the door. The manager checked me in and was very short and rude. I stood there waiting to be helped for several minutes for no apparent reason. He didn't welcome me, smile, anything. It made me feel a little uncomfortable! The following day, I asked for directions at the front desk, as I was out of town, and was sent 20 miles out of my way by people that live there! If you don't know, should you make something up??? I went to use the pool and discovered that the toilet (which is in the pool area) was overflowing out the bathroom door! There were kids running around through this toilet water that no one seemed to care about even after I brought it to the attention of the desk clerk. She seemed annoyed that I interrupted her evening with such a ridiculous complaint. Isn't this a health hazard? I do a lot of traveling and believe me, I won't refer anyone to the AmericInn. When I checked out, I attempted to speak to the manager regarding my stay and he didn't even acknowledge me. He continued processing my check out and handed me a receipt. I would be surprised if anyone returned to this location. The staff is VERY rude, unwelcoming and extremely unprofessional!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the entire experience was aggravating
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at the Days Inn!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank lechme

Travellers are raving about these Faribault hotels

milwaukee
Reviewed 29 November 2006

I was hesitant to stay here based on some of the negative reviews, but stayed for 3 nights the weekend after Thanksgiving & found it very pleasant & quiet. There was a wedding group & sports team booked at the hotel at the same time & when I asked for the quietest room they had, the staff delivered that. We looked at other properties in the area, but decided on the Americinn; the fireplace lobby & newly decorated Christmas tree were very relaxing & festive too.

Stayed November 2006
minnesota
Reviewed 24 November 2006

we stayed at the americInn for our 20th wedding anniversary. From booking the reservation on the phone to checking out of our room the next day, we had a very pleasant experience with the staff that weekend. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — the friendly and helpfull staff
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mamabear86
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2006

I was staying at this hotel on a business trip and seen a bride and groom get kicked out on their wedding night! I had asked the clerk (I think her name was Chris) what had happed? She told me that I should just go to my room and shut up or she will have me kicked out as well. When all I did was asked what happened. I couldn't believe how she treated me much less that poor couple. When I talked to the management later about what happened. He told me that the clerk was having a bad night and was backing her 100% in her actions. After telling him that she had threatened to kick me out he just said whatever. After seen the post that others have left about this incident I felt I should put my two cents in as well. I honestly can say I would never stay here again and I have recommended to my company not let anyone stay either. For the money people paid to be treated like that is just ridiculous.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 June 2006

If you are traveling and need to stay in Faribult, I would recommend staying at Days Inn, whcih is conveniently located across the street from the Americinn. The staff is not properly trained in customer service skills, which causes problems when their sole duty is customer service. If you do have any problems there is an incredible game of "pass the buck" that ensues. This game will (purposefully) continue until you grow exhausted of the struggle and finally give up. While this is an effective defensive manuever, it should not be utilized in the hotel business. Staying at a hotel should be akin to a night at a home away from home. This location provides that... if by home you mean staying at the in-laws...that are still holding a grudge against you for marrying their youngest child. And won't speak to you. A little icy...

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faribault
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Faribault
#2 of 5 in Northfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 8 in Owatonna

Been to Boarders Inn & Suites Faribault, MN? Share your experiences!