“Friendly and comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Finlayson
Duluth, Minnesota
“Friendly and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is a basic motel, so don't look for things like a snazzy lobby, or much of a breakfast (breakfast is about as basic as it gets -- coffee, milk, and your choice of Cheerios or Fruit Loops). But the three of us enjoyed our stay here. It's reasonably priced and comfortable, and located very close to Banning State Park. All of the staff were helpful and friendly, from making reservations to checking out. Looks to be a family run operation. Beds were good, and our room was clean and spacious (we had a larger than usual room with two queens and a pull out couch). Our room had a microwave and a refrigerator, which we were glad to have.

Room Tip: The room we had with two queens was definitely larger than your typical motel room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aaron B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Marshall, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We chose to stay here for one night when in the area for a wedding. Rooms seemed clean enough, reservations easy, helpful staff, easy to find off of the interstate. Beds were nothing opulent but my family and I slept very well. The property is showing its age some but is being kept up decent. I chose here amongst the more expensive hotels in the area because I knew we needed a place to sleep and not much more. It turned out to be a good choice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jeffswmn
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Like others, were going to a concert at Hinckley amphitheater and the casino hotels were booked. Looking at other Hinckley choices in Tripadvisor, we were less than impressed with the reviews. Found this Americas Best Value a few miles north and were pleased with our choice. Clean, comfortable, good rates and a pleasant staff. Thanks

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cpetemn
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

This is not the Hilton, by far, but there are some amenities and service notes that kick this up a star. The motel is small, but the rooms are surprisingly large. There was a mini fridge and microwave in my room, though awkwardly stacked one on the other. The bathrooms were large and clean, as was the whole room. The internet worked fine. The price was really good with the ABV membership discount of 15% (easy to join and instant access to member number and benefits). The staff was particularly helpful...even printing my boarding passes for the afternoon flight out of Minneapolis. Since we regularly visit the local prison, this is now our first choice of stay. Please note: no breakfast provided, but available across the road from Banning Junction Cafe.

Room Tip: easy to become ABV member and instantly get 15% discount on overnight stays
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank taliabo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband and I were looking for someplace near the Grand Casino Hinckley when this suggestion popped up. The casino's hotels were full (it was a concert night). This hotel is NOT really convenient to the casino. It's 13 miles down the highway. There are other hotels closer to Hinckley, but we weren't aware of them at the time we made our reservation. This hotel strikes me as being quite old; they still use actual keys with numbered plastic pieces attached for the doors. There was a microwave and mini-fridge in the room, but pretty bare bones other than that. The chairs were terribly uncomfortable and on first entry to the lobby you get a mild smell of old smoke. Our room was clean and quiet, but would be better enjoyed by someone looking to rest from a long drive. We probably will not go there again, preferring someplace a little more up-to-date. The towels were thin and frayed (a big deal to me), and there was no in room coffee, or continental breakfast. The web search described a huge list of amenities at this hotel, but upon closer inspection they have listed "bathtub, shower, telephone, alarm clock and smoke detectors" as being noteworthy. The price was reasonable $72 and the desk clerk was friendly.

Room Tip: No tips, just be sure to ask for a non-smoking room if that is your preference. As I stated, the roo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharileet
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I was in Finlayson for a friend's wedding in July 2011, and I stayed 2 nights at the America's Best Value Inn. I was very pleased with my accomodations. It was quiet, and I got a good night's sleep both evenings. It didn't have a lot of amenities, but it was well-kept and a great price for the room. Since I travelled from New Mexico to be there, I was especially pleased with it's location (conveniently right off of I-35) and it's affordability. I couldn't have found a better value than at America's Best Value Inn!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room if you're a non-smoker.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sabrina H
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our guests stayed here for our wedding that was held at Juliane James Place, a wedding venue in the same town. The owners allowed us to inspect the rooms to ensure they were nice enough for guests, let us put welcome bags in the rooms, and gave us a good rate. We knew it wasn't a Hilton but it did the job for those guests who didn't want to stay at a B&B or at a cabin resort. I would recommend it if you are looking for a place to stay if it is convenient.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Alexis M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Finlayson
#4 of 6 in Hinckley
Hanging Horn Lakeside Resort & Hotel
Northwoods Inn
Northwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Barnum

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!