“Watch your bill closely” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 94
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Watch your bill closely”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family and I recently celebrated a birthday here (like pretty much everyone else in the restaurant that night) and the food was very good and plentiful as usual for Benihana, but the service was not great. We had an advance reservation on a Tuesday night but still needed to wait for quite a while in the bar because even if your group is on time, they apparently won't seat you until the other party sharing seats at the same hibachi grill also arrive. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of for anyone who may be dining there for the first time.

The hostess had us follow her on a winding route through the restaurant to a grill table and just as we about to get settled, we learned it was the wrong table so we all got up and went on another 'tour' until the correct table was found. Still no big deal, but started to indicate that this location might be a little more haphazard than the one we'd visited previously in Maple Grove.

Our hibachi chef was decent (nice guy, good food) but lacked personality or enthusiasm you'd usually expect when paying a premium for the entertainment aspect of a hibachi dinner. He didn't put on much of a show and skipped the traditional "onion volcano" altogether. My daughter was excited to see that part but just shrugged it off when he did his half-hearted tricks so at least she wasn't disappointed.

The one thing that DID bother me enough to probably not return to the Golden Valley location in the future and opt for Maple Grove instead, is that they overcharged us more than $10 on the bill. They rang in a kids meal as an adult meal instead (the kid is young enough to not be accidentally confused for 12+) and also charged for an ice cream that should have been free. When I politely asked the server about it he didn't say a word but walked away and came back with a manager who almost seemed annoyed that I caught the pricey mistakes. They gave me a revised bill that corrected the kid's meal but still had the ice cream sundae charge on it but I just let it go at that point. I'm mentioning it here so others know to be a little extra cautious before you pay since a small part of me kind of got the impression the over-billing was intentional.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank wifisker

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's my birthday....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Went for my birthday dinner with my guy the food was great as always had a great time...the waitress was a little slow other than that had a great time

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Service and the show have gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you want an Americanized Tepanyaki Grill that is pure chain, then to go Benihana. The bad thing about this location is that English is a second language for almost the entire staff and Japanese is not the first, it is Spanish. So if you are looking for a Japanese meal served and cooked by a Mexican staff, this is your place. I am not saying the food is bad, but the servers are very difficult to understand and placing your order can be very difficult.

The food is okay, but nothing stellar. It’s all supposed to be about the presentation of the cooking at these restaurants and lately I have found the presentation lacking.

It’s a fun place to go with a group but I feel they have gone downhill greatly as of late. The food is average and can be a little bland. The hot tea, well, it is not worth the bother for ordering.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank 476ChrisP476
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
“A fun Birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped by because of the coupon we get, the food was good as usual, it was entertaining, so all in all it was good for us. We really like the shrimp sauce, The chief said he was the oldest one there, yep I think it also showed, there were better shows at the other tables. We'll be back on the next birthday.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jeff L
ldybug252000
“Probably the worst visit I've ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Horrible waitress. I would say her name, but on second thoughts I wont. I won't be that mean, but i will say she wasn't new, I have seen her plenty of times. I would have expected this maybe from a new person, and even they are a bit TOO attentive to be sure to do a good job. She didn't come back to check on us--EVER, the chef had to go get everything he would need because the order wasn't taken right to begin with, plus he had to go get our white rice, because they usually bring it out, and of course she was MIA 90% of the meal. When we were done, the party that sat with us asked for ice cream--after I had to go find her so we could box up and pay--and she just walked away. Didn't ask what flavor or anything. I really wish they would put a location more east of the cities, i hate driving all the way over there anyway to eat here anyway, or have to go farther to Maple Grove. But this visit took the cake. I won't be back for a while. My party of 5 could have went down the street to Osaka and most likely got better service for a little less. Not to mention, when we were leaving, the table that they had seated next to us had two people get up and leave because they had been sitting there for 10 minutes or so and she hadn't come back and introduced herself, asked about beverages or anything.I paid for everyone in my party, (they were all kids and I was the parent) and I felt really cheated when we left). They had us in one of the little rooms and it was freezing, even when the grill was turned on. We all kept our coats on the whole dinner. The table next to us that was halfway through when we got there also had theirs on.

• Visited April 2014