“Dirty, smelly, poor customer service & no front desk help EVER!!!”
Review of The Lakes Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
The Lakes Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Grand Rapids B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I came to Grand Rapids for work. I showed up the weekend of the Judy Garland festival and the only place in town that had rooms was this place. I was shower 3 rooms and had to take the last one I saw. All the rooms had the same strange smell outdated look, but I was tired of looking. Once I got settled in my room, I could not get the heat to come on. It was 50°F and it was cold in my room. I was told the heat was cut off and not available. Really?!? Brrr! As I am unpacking, I notice what look like toe nails in a pile on the floor beside the bed. I pick up my phone to call housekeeping and I have no dial tone. Then I see that there is no cord going to the phone. OKAY, I will let them sit there and see how long it takes them to get them cleaned up. 2 weeks and they were still there when I checked out!
As for the phone,I was told to use the one in the lobby or they could switch me to another room, During my stay, several nights during the early morning hours (2-4am) you can hear drunks wondering up and down the hall still partying. One night one banged on my door expecting me to help him get into his room! I could go on, but why? I think you get the point! At $55 a night, it is too high for what you get.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel. This hotel is in need of some serious renovation.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack W

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The heat had been turned off and it was freezing when i called the front desk they said turn off the ac and it wilk get warm. It didn't. Luckily it warmed up the next day. Flatter than pancake pillows but otherwise what can i expect for a cheap room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Annie C
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I agree that this is not the "ritz", and it is better than first appearances might suggest. We stopped for the night on Halloween with rainy foggy driving. The parking lot was poorly lit, as was the sign, but we stopped to check it out. The connected bar had some patrons and we checked with the bartender on availability in a non smoking room. The halls did smell smoky and we were dubious. However, the room was fresh and clean and didn't smell of smoke- or of attempts to mask it. We stayed and the room was quiet and clean with comfortable beds. we were a bit concerned about our vehicle in the parking lot being Halloween and poorly lit. However, for a sleep and a shower this place was fine. Would stay again if travelling through!

Room Tip: there is a bar and some nights there is Karaoke. I would ask for a no smoking room away from the bar...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This place actually looks worse on the outside (exterior and hallways) than on the inside. The room was basic, but clean, with some maintenance issues (holes in the curtains for example). The hallway really does smell of smoke, and you're pretty likely to encounter some drunks in the hallway on weekends, but that's not really the hotel's fault.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I've spent many nights in this hotel and would stay again. If you just need a place to crash for the night and a shower in the morning, this place will do the trick. I wouldn't stay if you have a romantic weekend in mind, it doesn't quite fill that niche. The price fit the ammenities so that was another positive aspect. You could use it as a jumping off point for most anything in the area. Check it out, if you're not expecting the Hilton then you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank breb
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My experience started as I entered the front door of the hotel. I was greeted by the desk clerk, who was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable as she checked me in to my requested room. Too my surprise I actually got a room that I requested on the first floor near the lobby and no smoking. This was like a first for me who has spent 25 plus years traveling the country.

My room was nice and very clean. The bathroom and the tub was spotless and no built up dirt or grim was visible (I was in the food business so I certainly know cleanliness).

I called to arrange a wake up call and asked about nearby restaurants and the staff member shared several options to me. In the end I had Chinese at the in house restaurant. The food was excellent and I enjoyed visiting with the staff.

After the meal I looked into the conference center to see the set up. I was curious as I had retired in May after 35 years in the business and the last6 with a large catering company. The center was set for an upcoming event and it really looked assume.

I stopped in to the bar to have a diet beverage and the staff was friendly and the crowd was having fun with the evenings karaoke. I am sure the singers probably sounded better later in the evening but it was a fun atmosphere.

I had a great night sleep and my wake up call was right on time. I found the same kind of service I received when checking out as I did the night before. I also was impressed that the owner, who was in the office next to the front desk, came oout and introduced himself and thanked me for staying. Wow a perfect ending to a nice stay over in Grand Rpids Minnesota.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank mlvngroup
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Went there for a wedding. The whole place smells like stale smoke. We called ahead to be sure there would be a crib, but they couldn't find one when we got there. Eventually they found a play pen, and it smelled like stale smoke too! The bathtub didn't drain, there were stains on the carpet... Pay a few bucks more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family